“The best fishing lodge”
Review of Owen River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Murchison
Owen River Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 February 2017

Returning for my fourth visit, the failure of arrival of summer did not diminish the experience. ORL continues to be welcoming, comfortable, and relaxing, helped in volumes by Felix Borenstein, the owner, assisted by his staff, including chef Ryan, the long suffering casting instructor Kylie, and Keely the resident golden Labrador. The fishing was awesome in spite of the weather. In search of the wilderness experience I took two helicopter fishing trips to the Karamea river, in the heart of the Kahurangi National Park. It always amazes me how overwhelming such trips are, with only the sound of the river and birdsong. The fish are tough and wild. I never have an expectation to catch a trophy, but if lucky 5 or 6 quality fish to the net ensues, only with the help of a good guide. Not cheap, but as an experience I would not miss it. The skilful helicopter pilot picked us from the stony river bank up and home for cordon blue dinner. Will I travel all that way again - already started saving. Thank you Felix.

Room Tip: All six rooms are fantsatic
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 January 2017

We stayed 5 days for my husband's 70th birthday. David loved the fly-fishing and learnt lots about river fishing from his very experienced guide, Paul. We both enjoyed the beautiful, peaceful setting of the Lodge, the comfortable, spacious cottages and delicious gourmet meals.
Felix, Kylie and all the staff are excellent and do whatever is required to make one's stay special. I do not fish but, as we had a car, I enjoyed exploring the area, walking and also generally relaxing around the lodge and gardens especially soaking in the hot tub after a long hike.
A special thank you for the efficiency in sending on an item we left in our room.
We have no hesitation in recommending this lodge.

Room Tip: Al the cottages look equally good with beautiful views
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2017

Owen River Lodge is truly a piece of paradise. My son, husband & I arrived a couple of days after Christmas(summertime here) and were welcomed very graciously by the owner, Felix, and his fabulous staff including the superb hostess, Kylie and the best golden retriever ever, Keeley. Chef Jo cooked an awesome 3 course dinner with accompanying wines for us and we were off to our super comfy cabin with uber comfortable beds for the evening. Early am, guys and I were up for a cooked to order breakfast by Chef Ryan and then they met their fishing guide, Pete. Pete grew up 3min from the lodge so knows these waters inside and out. He took the guys on about a 45 min truck ride away and then they fished for giant, brown trout. They had a super successful day and loved fishing with Pete and his knowledge and expertise on the river. While the guys fished all day, I enjoyed myself by exploring the Owen River with Keeley, the golden retrevier. She took me on quite the adventure. It took me a while to navigate the rocks along the river but after finding a large walking stick, I was able to keep up and we hiked for about 2 hours along the river. I was served a great late lunch at the lodge and then went back down by the water to some giant bean bags to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery and a good book. The gardens on the property of Owen River Lodge are really unique and I filled my iPhone with beautiful pictures of the unique plants and can't wait to frame some for some upcoming Bday and Christmas gifts. When the guys returned we had a toast and beer with Pete, the staff and met some of the other guests of the lodge. The guys showered and changed to super casual clothing and we went back to the lodge for an another awesome 3 course dinner prepared by Chef Ryan. All of the other guests staying at the lodge were all brought to this special place by the love of fly fishing and it was really fun and interesting to meet everyone at dinner and learn their stories and experiences. We cannot wait to travel back to Owen River Lodge and fish and relax again. Thanks to Felix for such a wonderful week! Cheers!

Room Tip: All of the cabins are top notch.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2017 via mobile

We have just returned from a wonderful 3 days at Owen river lodge and will be definitely returning. Can't recommend more highly, beautiful place, fantastic people and great fishing. Dinner times tend to run on into the night socialising with the other guests which is great fun but easy to drink too much wine.

Simon and Kate, Dunedin

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2017

Felix and Kylie warmly welcome you into what feels like home, and offers top drawer accommodations from the early morning breakfasts to A+ evening meals! They work hard to help out everyone's special needs, like my dietary restrictions. They made delicious meals without a problem! Fishing guides shepherd beginners to expert fishermen and women through very technical and athletic Brown Trout fishing on any number of the magnificent rivers close to the Lodge. The guides are fun, competent and always challenging. The Lodge has everything for every need, so you do not have to fuss over packing. Just come and relax, take in the tranquility of this setting, trek through lush and rugged terrain, drink a variety of New Zealand wines, munch on home made cookies and sleep in the most comfortable bed ever! I will be a repeat customer!!! Thanks to Felix and Kylie and all of the staff at Owen River Lodge.

Room Tip: Rooms in the cottages have the best views.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murchison
35 km away
16.6 km away
Owen River Tavern & Motels
Owen River Tavern & Motels
#3 of 5 in Murchison

Been to Owen River Lodge? Share your experiences!