Owen River Lodge
US$62
  • Free Internet
Murchison Motels(Murchison)
US$138
Owen River Tavern & Motels(Murchison)(Great Value!)
US$86
US$83
US$81
US$100
US$97
All reviewschef ryanowen riverfly fishingbrown troutother guestshis teamworld classattention to detailfive starnew zealandsouth islandfishing experienceguided fishinggreat fishingbucket listdays fishingour honeymoon
Reviewed 28 January 2017

We stayed 5 days for my husband's 70th birthday. David loved the fly-fishing and learnt lots about river fishing from his very experienced guide, Paul. We both enjoyed the beautiful, peaceful setting of the Lodge, the comfortable, spacious cottages and delicious gourmet meals.
Felix, Kylie and all the staff are excellent and do whatever is required to make one's stay special. I do not fish but, as we had a car, I enjoyed exploring the area, walking and also generally relaxing around the lodge and gardens especially soaking in the hot tub after a long hike.
A special thank you for the efficiency in sending on an item we left in our room.
We have no hesitation in recommending this lodge.

Room Tip: Al the cottages look equally good with beautiful views
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2017

Owen River Lodge is truly a piece of paradise. My son, husband & I arrived a couple of days after Christmas(summertime here) and were welcomed very graciously by the owner, Felix, and his fabulous staff including the superb hostess, Kylie and the best golden retriever ever, Keeley. Chef Jo cooked an awesome 3 course dinner with accompanying wines for us and we were off to our super comfy cabin with uber comfortable beds for the evening. Early am, guys and I were up for a cooked to order breakfast by Chef Ryan and then they met their fishing guide, Pete. Pete grew up 3min from the lodge so knows these waters inside and out. He took the guys on about a 45 min truck ride away and then they fished for giant, brown trout. They had a super successful day and loved fishing with Pete and his knowledge and expertise on the river. While the guys fished all day, I enjoyed myself by exploring the Owen River with Keeley, the golden retrevier. She took me on quite the adventure. It took me a while to navigate the rocks along the river but after finding a large walking stick, I was able to keep up and we hiked for about 2 hours along the river. I was served a great late lunch at the lodge and then went back down by the water to some giant bean bags to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery and a good book. The gardens on the property of Owen River Lodge are really unique and I filled my iPhone with beautiful pictures of the unique plants and can't wait to frame some for some upcoming Bday and Christmas gifts. When the guys returned we had a toast and beer with Pete, the staff and met some of the other guests of the lodge. The guys showered and changed to super casual clothing and we went back to the lodge for an another awesome 3 course dinner prepared by Chef Ryan. All of the other guests staying at the lodge were all brought to this special place by the love of fly fishing and it was really fun and interesting to meet everyone at dinner and learn their stories and experiences. We cannot wait to travel back to Owen River Lodge and fish and relax again. Thanks to Felix for such a wonderful week! Cheers!

Room Tip: All of the cabins are top notch.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2017 via mobile

We have just returned from a wonderful 3 days at Owen river lodge and will be definitely returning. Can't recommend more highly, beautiful place, fantastic people and great fishing. Dinner times tend to run on into the night socialising with the other guests which is great fun but easy to drink too much wine.

Simon and Kate, Dunedin

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2017

Felix and Kylie warmly welcome you into what feels like home, and offers top drawer accommodations from the early morning breakfasts to A+ evening meals! They work hard to help out everyone's special needs, like my dietary restrictions. They made delicious meals without a problem! Fishing guides shepherd beginners to expert fishermen and women through very technical and athletic Brown Trout fishing on any number of the magnificent rivers close to the Lodge. The guides are fun, competent and always challenging. The Lodge has everything for every need, so you do not have to fuss over packing. Just come and relax, take in the tranquility of this setting, trek through lush and rugged terrain, drink a variety of New Zealand wines, munch on home made cookies and sleep in the most comfortable bed ever! I will be a repeat customer!!! Thanks to Felix and Kylie and all of the staff at Owen River Lodge.

Room Tip: Rooms in the cottages have the best views.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2017

From the moment we entered the stunning beauty of the property, we knew this was going to be a special place. There are 3 cabins with 2 suites, each with their own entrance and porch where you can sit and enjoy the Owen River and mountains beyond. The rooms are spacious and impeccably clean with a large bathroom, great shower and towel warmer. Each room has its own minibar, french press coffee maker with daily fresh ground coffee & homemade cookies! A very well stocked bar and great NZ wines served in their lounge and all meals in the lodge. The food is superb – so don’t expect or even try to diet. Upon arrival, a spread of appetizers and drinks were offered by the gracious and caring hosts, Felix & Kylie. They attend to your every needs and go out of their way to make sure the guest are comfortable, cared for and well fed. If you forget anything – Felix probably has something that will work. I can’t say enough to complement them on their wonderful lodge, attention to detail and warmth in making guest feel relaxed and ‘at home’.

As for fishing needs…. unless you’re emotionally attached to your boots, waders & rods, I wouldn’t bother to bring them. Felix’s fishing cabin is stocked with the latest Simms waders & boots and a variety of rods! Going through customs with used boots was a significant time delay and hassle – why go through that when he has it all! Fishing was as technical and challenging as we’ve heard but still able to catch some beautiful & large browns and you cannot match the splendor of the NZ landscape and wildflowers. All in all, I trip that is forever etched into our memories and a place to return to hopefully in the near future!

Room Tip: All rooms in cottages have spectacular views. Lodge room -no view but still nice & quiet. Request the room with the NZ possum blanket!
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family