Owen River Lodge
  • Restaurant
Alpine Lodge(Saint Arnaud)
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewschef ryanowen riverfly fishingbrown troutother guestshis teamworld classattention to detailfive starnew zealandsouth islandfishing experienceguided fishinggreat fishingbucket listdays fishingour honeymoon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 January 2017

From the moment we entered the stunning beauty of the property, we knew this was going to be a special place. There are 3 cabins with 2 suites, each with their own entrance and porch where you can sit and enjoy the Owen River and mountains beyond. The rooms are spacious and impeccably clean with a large bathroom, great shower and towel warmer. Each room has its own minibar, french press coffee maker with daily fresh ground coffee & homemade cookies! A very well stocked bar and great NZ wines served in their lounge and all meals in the lodge. The food is superb – so don’t expect or even try to diet. Upon arrival, a spread of appetizers and drinks were offered by the gracious and caring hosts, Felix & Kylie. They attend to your every needs and go out of their way to make sure the guest are comfortable, cared for and well fed. If you forget anything – Felix probably has something that will work. I can’t say enough to complement them on their wonderful lodge, attention to detail and warmth in making guest feel relaxed and ‘at home’.

As for fishing needs…. unless you’re emotionally attached to your boots, waders & rods, I wouldn’t bother to bring them. Felix’s fishing cabin is stocked with the latest Simms waders & boots and a variety of rods! Going through customs with used boots was a significant time delay and hassle – why go through that when he has it all! Fishing was as technical and challenging as we’ve heard but still able to catch some beautiful & large browns and you cannot match the splendor of the NZ landscape and wildflowers. All in all, I trip that is forever etched into our memories and a place to return to hopefully in the near future!

Room Tip: All rooms in cottages have spectacular views. Lodge room -no view but still nice & quiet. Request the room with the NZ possum blanket!
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 December 2016

I just returned from a 3-day stay at the Owen River Lodge. It was spectacular, and even a short stay easily qualifies as a trip of a lifetime. The accommodations are impeccable--comfortable, spotless, beautiful but not pretentious, and maximally suited to the stunning environmental landscape—there are covered porches outside rooms where you would be perfectly content sitting for hours because of the scenery and the sight and sound of the river. The Owen River itself is a famous fishery and even when not guided you can try your luck at any hour of your stay. The guides relish the fishery and fiercely protect it. They sight the fish and teach you everything you are willing to learn about catching smart big fish (survivors). I have trout fished once-a-month in southern Missouri (USA) for about a decade—each of the eight fish I caught (having missed or lost twice as many because of bad technique) was bigger than any trout I have ever caught (all 4-6 lbs.; 7, 8, and 9 lb. fish were all caught by other guests during the short time I was there). The guides across the region communicate with one another every morning such that everyone who is fishing is spread out across the numerous rivers and streams in the region. I was there on a beautiful weekend in late spring and did not see a single human on any stretch of river I fished.

Felix the proprietor and his team bend over backwards to ensure that each guest has what they need to make the most of the experience; they are PRESENT throughout the social elements of the stay (eg. meals and when you are spending time about the property on an unguided day)—they are consummate hosts, entertaining, and extremely knowledgeable about the region and its recreational opportunities. When they supply whatever gear you need (no extra cost) it is the best gear on the market (waders, boots, fly rods). If you ask them to arrange for a transport to or from the airport or another region, you will get a driver who could double as a tour guide. They manage every case of jet lag and “own” that as part of their job. Throughout your stay, the main lodge which is their own living quarters, is your living room, dining room, and reading room. Most of all, they create opportunity (if you want it) to make the most of brief intersections of lives of the 10-16 people who are staying at the lodge at any given time; this typically happens at breakfast or happy hour or dinner every evening. I crossed paths with a physician who spent a career in outreach medicine in the wilds of Australia, a navy chaplain, a successful restauranteur, creators of businesses, a triathlete couple, and a man who willed his way through a level of rheumatoid arthritis that made doctors doubt he could walk let alone fish, let alone peruse miles of rocky river shoreline stalking trout. These are the intangibles that I will remember most and that MADE the trip, completely unexpected value-added, along with the truly stunning New Zealand scenery, and, of course….the enormous trout.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank John C
Reviewed 30 November 2016

My wife and I spent several days at this fishing lodge at during the beginning of the trout fishing season. The accommodations are wonderful. The guests stay in rooms overlooking the Owen River - and are able to watch the mountain mists slowly float over the countryside. The rooms are very well appointed and comfortable.

Meals are taken at the main lodge and are fundamentally outrageous. The setting for the meals is wonderful. All guests eat at the dining table - which is like eating at your favorite relative's home. There are two chefs (not 'cooks') who prepare gourmet meals that are amazing and outrageous... The food could not have been better. My attempts to 'adopt' either chef and return to the States with me proved unsuccessful.

I fished, while my wife took strolls, relaxed and read. My wife was delighted with the quiet restful environment. The equipment provided at the Lodge was first rate. I was amazed and in awe of the brown trout and their behavior in crystal clear streams and rivers. The guide (Anton) was a delight and very knowledgeable. Fish were caught - and it was great time.

I have been fortunate to be able to fish in many different locations for different species of fish. New Zealand - at the Owen River Lodge was a treat and an unforgettable adventure.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2016

Father and daughter trip of a lifetime! My father and I arrived 8 hours after the earthquake and tsunami hit NZ. Our first day of fishing was thwarted due to the conditions, but the local farmers/ranchers stopped by with homemade scones and invited us to come and bottle feed their lambs and calves. This is the type of atmosphere one finds at OWL. Our two days of fishing (with the expert help of Pete) yielded us 8 trout between 4 - 7 lbs.
Felix and Kiley were excellent hosts!
Keeley, the resident dog, was a delight.
Ryan and Jo, the chefs, were amazing! spring lamb, red deer venison, duck, and angus filets... The homemade granola, shortbread cookies, and the sandwich lunches were outstanding! The house wines were 5 star.
The cabins are extremely well equipped: heated towel racks, beautifully stocked mini bar, and spacious!
We are already planning our next visit to OWL. The experience was SO much more than we expected! Zero negative feedback. Outstanding lodge!
(I haven't submitted a review in the last few years, but OWL was so exceptional that I must share!)

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2016

Owen River Lodge was the grand finale of our travels throughout New Zealand and Australia. My husband and I were exceptionally pleased with the attentive staff, fantastic meals, and knowledgeable fly fishing guides. Our guides, Paul and Adam, did a fantastic job of educating us on the area and techniques required for success. While many a wily brown trout outsmarted us during our stay, the experience was incredibly memorable. We thoroughly enjoyed meeting and dining with other couples who were staying at the Lodge during the same time-frame. I would highly recommend Owen River Lodge to any of our friends or colleagues. Oh, and don't forget to try the shortbread cookies with your morning coffee!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple