All reviews chef ryan owen river fly fishing brown trout other guests his team world class new zealand south island fishing experience great fishing bucket list days fishing our honeymoon course dinner three days my wife and i have just
Reviewed 30 November 2016

My wife and I spent several days at this fishing lodge at during the beginning of the trout fishing season. The accommodations are wonderful. The guests stay in rooms overlooking the Owen River - and are able to watch the mountain mists slowly float over the countryside. The rooms are very well appointed and comfortable.

Meals are taken at the main lodge and are fundamentally outrageous. The setting for the meals is wonderful. All guests eat at the dining table - which is like eating at your favorite relative's home. There are two chefs (not 'cooks') who prepare gourmet meals that are amazing and outrageous... The food could not have been better. My attempts to 'adopt' either chef and return to the States with me proved unsuccessful.

I fished, while my wife took strolls, relaxed and read. My wife was delighted with the quiet restful environment. The equipment provided at the Lodge was first rate. I was amazed and in awe of the brown trout and their behavior in crystal clear streams and rivers. The guide (Anton) was a delight and very knowledgeable. Fish were caught - and it was great time.

I have been fortunate to be able to fish in many different locations for different species of fish. New Zealand - at the Owen River Lodge was a treat and an unforgettable adventure.

Reviewed 24 November 2016

Father and daughter trip of a lifetime! My father and I arrived 8 hours after the earthquake and tsunami hit NZ. Our first day of fishing was thwarted due to the conditions, but the local farmers/ranchers stopped by with homemade scones and invited us to come and bottle feed their lambs and calves. This is the type of atmosphere one finds at OWL. Our two days of fishing (with the expert help of Pete) yielded us 8 trout between 4 - 7 lbs.
Felix and Kiley were excellent hosts!
Keeley, the resident dog, was a delight.
Ryan and Jo, the chefs, were amazing! spring lamb, red deer venison, duck, and angus filets... The homemade granola, shortbread cookies, and the sandwich lunches were outstanding! The house wines were 5 star.
The cabins are extremely well equipped: heated towel racks, beautifully stocked mini bar, and spacious!
We are already planning our next visit to OWL. The experience was SO much more than we expected! Zero negative feedback. Outstanding lodge!
(I haven't submitted a review in the last few years, but OWL was so exceptional that I must share!)

Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2016

Owen River Lodge was the grand finale of our travels throughout New Zealand and Australia. My husband and I were exceptionally pleased with the attentive staff, fantastic meals, and knowledgeable fly fishing guides. Our guides, Paul and Adam, did a fantastic job of educating us on the area and techniques required for success. While many a wily brown trout outsmarted us during our stay, the experience was incredibly memorable. We thoroughly enjoyed meeting and dining with other couples who were staying at the Lodge during the same time-frame. I would highly recommend Owen River Lodge to any of our friends or colleagues. Oh, and don't forget to try the shortbread cookies with your morning coffee!

Reviewed 31 October 2016

My wife and I stayed at Owen River Lodge as part of our honeymoon. It was one of the most memorable and relaxing experiences we have had. Felix and his team are so welcoming and provided anything we needed. The accommodations are very comfortable, the cabins are the perfect balance between rustic and sophisticated. Not to mention the view is incredible. The food did not disappoint either, it is as advertised five star! The fly fishing was a blast and our guide made it an experience we will never forget. My wife and I would absolutely recommend Owen River to anyone visiting New Zealand. If we go back we will make sure to stay here again!

Room tip: Any one of the six rooms will exceed expectations
Reviewed 27 October 2016 via mobile

What a wonderful start to a vacation in New Zealand! This was a " 10" and we are looking forward to our next stay.
Thank you to all the people that makes this Fly
Fishing lodge feel like home.
Much Aloha