Owen River Lodge
US$81
Orbitz.com
Murchison Motels(Murchison)
US$139
Owen River Tavern & Motels(Murchison)(Great Value!)
US$87
  • Restaurant
Buller Bridge Motel(Westport)(Great Value!)
US$80
Hotels.com
  • Free Internet
All reviewschef ryanowen riverfly fishingbrown troutother guestshis teamworld classfive starnew zealandsouth islandfishing experienceguided fishinggreat fishingbucket listdays fishingour honeymoonfantastic experience
Reviewed 21 April 2016

This was our first visit to Felix's Owen River Lodge. A great location on the Owen River. The rooms are very comfortable and well insulated, keeping quite cosy overnight. The three staff on this visit were Lilly, Jo and Ryan. Jo and Ryan are the chefs, and the food is excellent. The guided fishing was great, albeit not producing a 10lb brown, but you fish in absolute magic country and rivers.
Definitely worth a return visit.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same and overlook the river.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2016

just a great place. the accommodation, food, hospitality and of course the fishing are really world class. a great team all round. felix is an excellent host and has superb staff always on hand. it was our first time to nz, and a great intro. next time though we would stay for a while longer

Reviewed 3 April 2016

Owen River Lodge was my first opportunity to visit New Zealand, and the trip was exceptional! The accommodations were fantastic and extremely comfortable. The food was delightful, and I waited each evening with excitement to find out what delicacies were on offer for dinner.

The setting of the lodge is wonderful with "postcard picture" views available from each room. How can I forget the fishing? I can't!! The brown trout fishing was world class, and my guide worked as hard as all the staff at the lodge to make sure my trip was a successful fishing trip.

Felix and staff pay attention to the details, and go out of their way to ensure that guests of the Owen River Lodge are taken care of. This is what makes Owen River Lodge such an exceptional trip! I thoroughly enjoyed my 6 nights and 5 days fishing, and I certainly plan on being a repeat visitor!!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms!!
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 March 2016

This is the place - if you have ever dreamed of fly fishing in New Zealand, Owen River Lodge is it! From the moment we arrived, our host Felix made us feel like old friends. Our accommodations were superb, 5 star all the way. Our chefs, Ryan and Jo, prepared wonderful meals every day. The fishing guides were extremely professional and knowledgable about the areas many rivers. I caught 5 to 8 lb trout every day - I cannot say enough about what a great experience this was!

Room Tip: They are all good!
Reviewed 29 March 2016

A wonderful three day, four night stay at ORL. The lodge is the epitome of of casual comfort: a genial host providing very well-appointed rooms with an air of true bonhomme. Evening cocktails were a major plus and we got to know 8 other guests that could not have been more pleasant. Dinners were exceptional (Ryan may not talk at great length, but he's a helluva chef). Breakfast of homemade bread, fresh fruits, eggs-to-order, individually pulled coffe drinks and the best granola ever got the days going just right. Felix carries an inventory of high-quality rods, reels, boots and waders (all in great shape and included in price) that were a major benefit and precluded having to lug my own gear from the states. Craig, our guide, was outstanding and on top of sharing his expertise (and eyesight) on local waters, I learned more about the possum trapping business than I could have ever gotten elsewhere.The fishing was some of the best I've ever experienced - gorgeous, gin-clear streams flowing through pristine topography and harboring huge fish were challenging, yet rewarding. My only gripe is that the three days went way too quickly...

Room Tip: Wi-Fi is spotty and not in-room...but who cared?