“Exceptional!!”
Review of Owen River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Murchison
Owen River Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Exceptional!!”
Reviewed 3 April 2016

Owen River Lodge was my first opportunity to visit New Zealand, and the trip was exceptional! The accommodations were fantastic and extremely comfortable. The food was delightful, and I waited each evening with excitement to find out what delicacies were on offer for dinner.

The setting of the lodge is wonderful with "postcard picture" views available from each room. How can I forget the fishing? I can't!! The brown trout fishing was world class, and my guide worked as hard as all the staff at the lodge to make sure my trip was a successful fishing trip.

Felix and staff pay attention to the details, and go out of their way to ensure that guests of the Owen River Lodge are taken care of. This is what makes Owen River Lodge such an exceptional trip! I thoroughly enjoyed my 6 nights and 5 days fishing, and I certainly plan on being a repeat visitor!!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms!!
  • Stayed March 2016, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 March 2016

This is the place - if you have ever dreamed of fly fishing in New Zealand, Owen River Lodge is it! From the moment we arrived, our host Felix made us feel like old friends. Our accommodations were superb, 5 star all the way. Our chefs, Ryan and Jo, prepared wonderful meals every day. The fishing guides were extremely professional and knowledgable about the areas many rivers. I caught 5 to 8 lb trout every day - I cannot say enough about what a great experience this was!

Room Tip: They are all good!
  • Stayed March 2016, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 29 March 2016

A wonderful three day, four night stay at ORL. The lodge is the epitome of of casual comfort: a genial host providing very well-appointed rooms with an air of true bonhomme. Evening cocktails were a major plus and we got to know 8 other guests that could not have been more pleasant. Dinners were exceptional (Ryan may not talk at great length, but he's a helluva chef). Breakfast of homemade bread, fresh fruits, eggs-to-order, individually pulled coffe drinks and the best granola ever got the days going just right. Felix carries an inventory of high-quality rods, reels, boots and waders (all in great shape and included in price) that were a major benefit and precluded having to lug my own gear from the states. Craig, our guide, was outstanding and on top of sharing his expertise (and eyesight) on local waters, I learned more about the possum trapping business than I could have ever gotten elsewhere.The fishing was some of the best I've ever experienced - gorgeous, gin-clear streams flowing through pristine topography and harboring huge fish were challenging, yet rewarding. My only gripe is that the three days went way too quickly...

Room Tip: Wi-Fi is spotty and not in-room...but who cared?
  • Stayed March 2016, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 March 2016

Owen River Lodge is a perfect blend of true luxury accommodations, surreal surroundings and a home base for the greatest brown trout stalking angling opportunities the planet has to offer. Felix and his superb staff seem to have thought of everything - the spacious, comfortable cabins are wonderful, the fly-fishing gear available to borrow is top-notch and in great condition, the dining is world-class and the lodge environment is very comfortable and full of laughter. Whether you're a family looking for a relaxing holiday or a hard-core solo fly-fisherman, Owen River Lodge will meet and exceed your needs. For anglers, Felix has built a stable of outstanding guides who can teach a novice angler or provide the most skilled anglers with any challenge they may desire and the lodge can easily access more than 20 rivers in under a 2 hour drive. I have been visiting and fishing in New Zealand since 1997 and I can truly say I've never had a better experience.

• Stayed March 2016, travelled solo
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2016

We found ORL on the internet when planning a 4 week fishing trip to New Zealand from the UK and were not sure what to expect. The Lodge facilities, Felix's welcome and the extremely high standard of guiding far exceeded our expectations. The week we had at ORL was the highlight of our whole trip and will be remembered for years to come.
The best day's fishing was 20 trout averaging 4lbs between the two of us fishing with an extremely energetic and professional guide! Many kilometers of wet wading!!

Stayed February 2016, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murchison
35.0 km away
16.6 km away
Owen River Tavern & Motels
Owen River Tavern & Motels
#4 of 5 in Murchison

Been to Owen River Lodge? Share your experiences!