All reviews chef ryan owen river fly fishing brown trout his team new zealand south island fishing experience great fishing days fishing meals prepared spent days felix host lodge hospitality kylie
Reviewed 29 March 2016

A wonderful three day, four night stay at ORL. The lodge is the epitome of of casual comfort: a genial host providing very well-appointed rooms with an air of true bonhomme. Evening cocktails were a major plus and we got to know 8 other guests that could not have been more pleasant. Dinners were exceptional (Ryan may not talk at great length, but he's a helluva chef). Breakfast of homemade bread, fresh fruits, eggs-to-order, individually pulled coffe drinks and the best granola ever got the days going just right. Felix carries an inventory of high-quality rods, reels, boots and waders (all in great shape and included in price) that were a major benefit and precluded having to lug my own gear from the states. Craig, our guide, was outstanding and on top of sharing his expertise (and eyesight) on local waters, I learned more about the possum trapping business than I could have ever gotten elsewhere.The fishing was some of the best I've ever experienced - gorgeous, gin-clear streams flowing through pristine topography and harboring huge fish were challenging, yet rewarding. My only gripe is that the three days went way too quickly...

Room Tip: Wi-Fi is spotty and not in-room...but who cared?
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2016

Owen River Lodge is a perfect blend of true luxury accommodations, surreal surroundings and a home base for the greatest brown trout stalking angling opportunities the planet has to offer. Felix and his superb staff seem to have thought of everything - the spacious, comfortable cabins are wonderful, the fly-fishing gear available to borrow is top-notch and in great condition, the dining is world-class and the lodge environment is very comfortable and full of laughter. Whether you're a family looking for a relaxing holiday or a hard-core solo fly-fisherman, Owen River Lodge will meet and exceed your needs. For anglers, Felix has built a stable of outstanding guides who can teach a novice angler or provide the most skilled anglers with any challenge they may desire and the lodge can easily access more than 20 rivers in under a 2 hour drive. I have been visiting and fishing in New Zealand since 1997 and I can truly say I've never had a better experience.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 March 2016

We found ORL on the internet when planning a 4 week fishing trip to New Zealand from the UK and were not sure what to expect. The Lodge facilities, Felix's welcome and the extremely high standard of guiding far exceeded our expectations. The week we had at ORL was the highlight of our whole trip and will be remembered for years to come.
The best day's fishing was 20 trout averaging 4lbs between the two of us fishing with an extremely energetic and professional guide! Many kilometers of wet wading!!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 March 2016

Owen River Lodge is truly a one of a kind destination. High-end homey would best describe my thoughts of the facility. Located on and over-looking the magnificent Owen River, one is treated to an entire array of sensory delights. I am a fisherman first, last and always so to say I found an Eden might just be indicative of what I discovered at this amazing lodge. From the start, it was clear Felix has created a paradise filled with the finest guides, chefs and service staff, rivaling any location I had visited previously. All of my needs and expectations were exceeded including and especially the fishing guide portion of the trip. A World Class destination for World traveling clientele looking for their next great adventure.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 February 2016

Having recently returned from New Zealand we have had the chance to sit back and review our trip, and undoubtedly one of the highlights was our four nights at Owens River Lodge. From the moment Felix met us at the car and took us to our room it was obvious this place is something special. For the fisher-person this is clearly trout heaven and despite what appeared to be "challenging condition" the waters around the Murchison area are clearly reverred trout fishing water. For the non fisher-person this is the perfect place to relax and unwind. From relaxing by the river to taking Keeley for walks, I loved every minute of this place. The good company of the small numbers of other guests and the wonderful food that was produced by chef Ryan just added to the first class experience. Thank you Felix for looking after us and we hope to return soon. Pauline and Brian

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple