“5 Star but unpretentious!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Owen River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Murchison
Owen River Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Chichester, United Kingdom
“5 Star but unpretentious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2016

We found ORL on the internet when planning a 4 week fishing trip to New Zealand from the UK and were not sure what to expect. The Lodge facilities, Felix's welcome and the extremely high standard of guiding far exceeded our expectations. The week we had at ORL was the highlight of our whole trip and will be remembered for years to come.
The best day's fishing was 20 trout averaging 4lbs between the two of us fishing with an extremely energetic and professional guide! Many kilometers of wet wading!!

Stayed February 2016, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Calabasas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2016

Owen River Lodge is truly a one of a kind destination. High-end homey would best describe my thoughts of the facility. Located on and over-looking the magnificent Owen River, one is treated to an entire array of sensory delights. I am a fisherman first, last and always so to say I found an Eden might just be indicative of what I discovered at this amazing lodge. From the start, it was clear Felix has created a paradise filled with the finest guides, chefs and service staff, rivaling any location I had visited previously. All of my needs and expectations were exceeded including and especially the fishing guide portion of the trip. A World Class destination for World traveling clientele looking for their next great adventure.

• Stayed February 2016, travelled solo
Forth, Tasmania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2016

Having recently returned from New Zealand we have had the chance to sit back and review our trip, and undoubtedly one of the highlights was our four nights at Owens River Lodge. From the moment Felix met us at the car and took us to our room it was obvious this place is something special. For the fisher-person this is clearly trout heaven and despite what appeared to be "challenging condition" the waters around the Murchison area are clearly reverred trout fishing water. For the non fisher-person this is the perfect place to relax and unwind. From relaxing by the river to taking Keeley for walks, I loved every minute of this place. The good company of the small numbers of other guests and the wonderful food that was produced by chef Ryan just added to the first class experience. Thank you Felix for looking after us and we hope to return soon. Pauline and Brian

• Stayed February 2016, travelled as a couple
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2016

Having just returned from ORL for my third season of fishing there, I can only reaffirm that this place is fabulous! Felix remains the absolute star, advising on my angling trips before reaching ORL, and entertains and informs when I get there.

The catering and facilities as ever, especially chef Ryan, make the guests feel special and pampered, particularly to soothe the aches and pains after a day out for my unfit frame . The cabins are luxurious, and quiet. The main house provides a great place to interact with fellow guests, and Felix carefully seats people to ensure everyone mixes each day with someone new.

The guides provide superb support for the fishing. The friendly rivalry each day kept me giggling all the way through. After a stellar performance last year, I was able to relax this year, with brown trout up to 6.5 lbs, and a tremendous variety of waters to fish, some new for me and some old favourites. This year my guide treated me to some amazing upstream dryfly, my lifelong passion. A real treat!

As I mentioned previously this is serious fishing. Physically and mentally demanding. There are, however, things to do on rest days, such as walking, horse riding, shopping expeditions etc, for the non-purist (not for me!)

The opportunity to heli-fish again in the back country was amazing. This is real wilderness fishing, but with the certainty of getting back for a superb dinner at the end of the day. What is there not to like?

Have tentatively booked already for next year!!!

Room Tip: All rooms fantastic
  • Stayed January 2016, travelled solo
      Cleanliness
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2016

We stayed recently at the Owen River Lodge during a 3 week fishing/sight seeing trip to New Zealand. It was the highlight of our trip! This is a fist class operation. The accomodations, food, friendly staff and fishing were very high quality. This is a beautiful setting with access to a number of great streams. Because the lodge only caters to a small number of guests, there is attention paid in a very detailed way. Felix is a wonderful host. We stayed at a number of different venues and this was clearly the class of the field! We are returning next year!
Bruce and Christie Copeland
Bozeman, Montana
USA

• Stayed January 2016, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murchison
35.0 km away
18.1 km away
Murchison Motels
Murchison Motels
#1 of 5 in Murchison

Been to Owen River Lodge? Share your experiences!