Owen River Lodge
US$144
Mataki Motel(Murchison)
US$89
Agoda.com
Owen River Tavern & Motels(Murchison)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$106
Priceline
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewschef ryanowen riverfly fishingbrown troutother guestshis teamworld classattention to detailfive starnew zealandsouth islandfishing experienceguided fishinggreat fishingbucket listdays fishingour honeymoon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 January 2016

Owen River Lodge. I seriously cannot say enough about our stay there. It was absolute perfection! When we pulled in we were greeted by Felix and we were shown to our room, which has a large picture window with a gorgeous view. Rooms/cabins are spacious and have comfortable beds, large bathroom, sitting area inside and outside. Snacks and drinks (happy hour) begin at 5:00 before dinner and it's fun to mingle with the other guests and chef as well. Dinner is served promptly at 7/7:30 and is a 3 course delight! Breakfast and lunch are also provided; breakfast includes bacon, toast and eggs cooked to order as well as delicious variations of caffeine. Lunch can be a picnic lunch if you're fishing for the day or taking a day trip around the area as well. Keeley, the lodge dog loves to play fetch with a tennis ball and also walk around the lodge with you. If you need laundry completed that will also be done for you as well. My husband had a blast fly fishing for a day with one of the guides; caught a 6 incher and was stoked. Felix provides a wonderful, relaxing and luxurious experience. Absolutely spoils you!!! Thank you so much!

Stayed: November 2015
Reviewed 11 January 2016

The Owen River Lodge is the perfect combination of 5 Star and comfortable. The lodge is nestled along the picturesque Owen River, surrounded by lush green hills and, of course, sheep! The six bungalows are spacious and well-appointed. Breakfast and dinner are served at the huge dining table in the lodge, so it is a great opportunity to mingle with and get to know the other guests. Our chef, Ryan, created beautiful multi-course dinners every evening, and wine was included. He also prepared breakfast and lunch. The owner of the Owen River Lodge, Felix, is a fantastic host. He made sure everyone had a special time...those who went fly fishing as well as those of us who stayed behind at the lodge. He arranged massages, wine tasting trips, bike rides, etc. One of my favorite parts of my stay was Felix's dog, Keeley, a yellow lab. She was great company to those of us at the lodge during the day while our partners fished. I whole-heartedly recommend The Owen River Lodge and look forward to returning again one day!

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2016

Felix, you are the perfect host of New Zealand's best fly fishing lodge! Relaxed, understated yet sophisticated and luxurious.
Of course, the fishing is simply outstanding with a huge number of drive to and heli rivers to fish.
I was very impressed with Owen River Lodge and will return with my wife.
Micah Adams
host- Adventure Angler TV series

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 December 2015

I cannot imagine having a better time. Every detail at Owens River Lodge is perfect. Simple elegance, great showers, all the amenities, lovely towels, FANTASTIC food and all the beer and wine you can drink. The house wine was also one of my favorite New Zealand wines - Neurdorf. The view from our cottage is breathtaking and so calm it made me want to do yoga right on the lawn.Felix the owner is a fantastic host. He is a funny guy that mingles and mixes well with the guests. Enough about the lodge - the fly fishing was fabulous. I had a fantastic guide - Pete Carty. He spotted fish I would never have seen and coached me through landing them when I hooked into them. I was able to catch 2 5lb Brown trout and another smaller but gorgeous rainbow. I am not that proficient at Fly Fishing so this was a great accomplishment for me! We walked a lot ! This is not a trip for you if you are not in shape or at least strong hiker.The rivers and scenery are among the most beautiful I have ever encountered. - Felix does a great job finding fantastic guides and an oasis of luxury when you return from your long day fishing. Fly fishing is a great way to see New Zealand. I highly recommend the Owens River Lodge

Room Tip: they are all good
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2015

It’s such a treat when literally every aspect of an experience exceeds one’s expectations. Owen River Lodge is that and more. Proprietor Felix Borenstein offers accommodations, cuisine, décor, and a setting that are richly and deeply satisfying. On top of that there’s The Fishing—why most folks come here. It is, in fact, the stuff of legends. Epic water, outstanding guides, and the fish themselves—gorgeous beasts they are. We are complete devotees after a 5-day visit. Thank you, thank you Felix for enhancing our lives so deliciously!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family