Owen River Lodge
US$70
Agoda.com
Murchison Motels(Murchison)
US$139
Owen River Tavern & Motels(Murchison)(Great Value!)
US$87
  • Restaurant
US$83
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$92/night.

US$97
US$104
US$100
Priceline
US$83
All reviewschef ryanowen riverfly fishingbrown troutother guestshis teamworld classfive starnew zealandsouth islandfishing experienceguided fishinggreat fishingbucket listdays fishingour honeymoonfantastic experience
Reviewed 19 November 2015

With all the troubles in the world- one needs to get away and recharge the batteries and connect with ones inner self. Owen River Lodge is the place. Trekking in the pristine rivers, guided by people who love the environment and are expert in sight fishing, for those monster trout is an experience I will never forget and I look forward to coming back.
Felix has an eye for detail and all things good, including wine, food and people,
Slim

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2015 via mobile

Felix has created the ultimate in fishing accommodation and fishing experience. The lodge accommodation and dining are an experience in themselves, appropriately comfortable and slightly understated which says everything, Ryan's fresh and interesting approach to food was very much appreciated by all.
The fishing was the best I have experienced in NZ certainly without the tuition and professionalism of our guides we would have found the fishing very challenging.
We enjoyed our stay so much we have booked another 5 days next year. Owen River Lodge is magic well done Felix

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2015

Yes, It was raining when we arrived but this did not deter Felix (lodge owner) from transferring our luggage from the car into our lovely, spotlessly clean, cottage overlooking the Owen River. What a fantastic aspect to spend the next few days.
We were not disappointed, the amenities certainly lived up to all our expectations. The hospitality we could not have wished for any more including the culinary service.

To top it off as it was my birthday Felix had arranged a fantastic cake in the shape of a trout, iced to look like the local brown trout. What a surprise to be presented with at dinner to share with other guests with common interests.

The next day the day was clear, ideal for first time anglers. Our Guide was so patient and Peter taught my wife and I to first cast on the grass before heading off in our waders to fish the Tutaki River. Both of us were not expecting to hook a trout but to our surprise we both hooked two trout each........but don't you hate it when your wife lands the first!

We had a fantastic time and will return.

Thank you Felix and your professional team.
Steve & Dallas

Room Tip: They all have the same layout with privacy from others
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2015

I fly fish in New Zealand a few times a year. From Melbourne Australia it is easy to get there. Airfares are very reasonable and the flight is under 4 hours. This year I decided to visit Owen River Lodge again. Its hard to keep away given that that Lodge is the best 5 star lodge in NZ. Five star however normally means that the establishment ticks all the required boxes to achieve its rating. With Owen River Lodge it really does go beyond the required criteria. The service here is personalised and intuitive. The atmosphere and lodge is intimate, relaxed and luxurious. The food really is deserving of major accolades. It is fresh, innovative, balanced and at times euphoric. Being a foodie I almost look forward to the cuisine as much as the tremendous fishing. The other thing that sets ORL apart is that the owner, Felix Borenstine employs the best fishing guides in the region. These guys know their stuff. They know not only were the fish are but which rivers are best to fish at any given time. Last season various clients caught fish between 10 lb and just under 13 lb. Staggering sizes and evidence that the areas and rivers immediate to ORL really do offer the best sighted brown trout fishing in the world. I decided to visit early this year, just after season opening. Most fly fishermen prefer the warmer peak months but I can attest that early fishing is fantastic and best of all there are not many other fishermen around and the trout a little less wary. Thank you Felix for another trip that was again beyond expectations, beyond 5 starts both for the service/wonderful accommodation and the fishing. Cant wait to come back ! Max

Room Tip: All rooms are large and luxuriouos, they are all equally excellent
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 May 2015

Our five night stay at Owen River Lodge was the highlight of a recent combined fishing and sightseeing trip to New Zealand for my wife and I. Felix is the consummate host and attends to every detail for his guests. My knowledgeable guide Dave successfully coached me through my first New Zealand fishing experience with patience and good humor. The wide choice of rivers to fish provided a new experience every day and enabled us to select the best weather conditions for each day's fishing. While I had the best fishing experience of my life, my non fishing wife took long walks with Keeley, spent the afternoon with Chef Cheryl as she prepared whitebait and tenderloin of venison for the evening meal and relaxed and enjoyed the beautiful view from the porch outside our room. The meals prepared by Chef Ryan and Cheryl were truly five star and Felix's masterful arrangement of seating made each meal a new adventure in both cuisine and conversation. We stayed in several wonderful lodges while in New Zealand, but Owen River Lodge is the one to which we will be certain to return.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple