Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
DavidF14700
Dallas, Texas
Owen River Lodge
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 18 Nov 2014
In short, Felix runs a first class operation at Owen River Lodge. The setting is gorgeous, the clientele international, the food spectacular, the guiding excellent, the lodge intimate, and the hospitality gracious. The choice of rivers to fish is enormous. My wife and I fished at a time when there was lots of rain which made it tough, but the guides were still able to find suitable water.

David Fosdick
    $220
    $250
17.7 km from Eleven Owen River Lodge
Free parking
Buller River ... 2min walk away for all your river activities.
18.1 km from Eleven Owen River Lodge
  • Booking.com
  • ZenHotels.com
38.2 km from Eleven Owen River Lodge
View more hotels in Murchison
All reviews chef ryan owen river fly fishing brown trout other guests first class new zealand south island five star fishing experience caught fish fine dining end of the day days fishing first rate sense of humour dinner table
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 November 2014

My visit to Owen River Lodge was a last minute addition to an Australian vacation. Time constraints limited me to two days of fishing. What a fortunate circumstance to spend my NZ time with Felix and his team at Owen River Lodge. From the accomodations to the wonderful meals served in the lodge, the experience is first rate. The fishing is spectacular with experienced guides on staff and lots of different options nearby. I highly recommend an Owen River Lodge adventure if you are thinking about South Island flyfishing.

Date of stay: November 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank TNDCRambler
Reviewed 3 November 2014

This was my 2nd visit to Owen River Lodge, the first being my honeymoon in 2010. On this occasion I travelled with my father, who had been seriously ill earlier this year (but fortunately is recovering well now). Hence this was a pretty special trip. I will try to keep my review simple;

* The fishing: I have fly-fished all over NZ and the fishery surrounding ORL is as good as it gets in my experience. Practically every fish we caught over 5 days of fishing was a sighted fish, and there were quite a few hooked, landed and lost in that time. We fished with Paul, an outstanding and highly experienced guide who worked to our physical and fishing capabilities perfectly. Overall, the fishery is challenging but very rewarding.

* The region: This is a tranquil and scenic part of NZ. The location is stunning - you will go to places on a day of fishing that you would not otherwise think to visit, but you bloody well should!

* The lodge and grounds: This is wonderful, boutique accommodation built to an excellent standard and designed in absolute harmony with its superb surroundings. The gardens are beautiful. Wilderness luxury at its best.

* The food: Breakfast is whatever you desire. Each dinner we had was as good as (and often better) than the food you would find in Sydney's finest restaurants. The lunches on the riverside are equally good in their own way. Thanks Ryan!

* The host: Felix is 10 out of 10 as a host. I sincerely thank him for everything he did to make our trip a great success. He understood our needs in advance, got everything right and didn't miss a single detail.

* The company: Great conversations with fellow guests over dinner is standard. A real highlight.

My dad and I have had many fishing trips over the years but our trip to ORL was easily the best we have had and a wonderful experience to share. A special time that we won't be forgetting (but hopefully will be repeating) in a hurry!

Thanks again, Felix. With a bit of luck we will see you same time next year.

Date of stay: October 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2014

The Owen River Lodge is a spectacular property. Nestled along the river bank, the six cottage units are all very well appointed and spacious. The main lodge building is the epicurean center of life along the waterway. Excellent food and friendly company.

The lodge is well situated to provide access to dozens of trout-filled rivers.

Absolutely a joy to stay and wet a line!!

Room tip: All rooms are the same and all are excellent
Date of stay: October 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2014

If you want to experience an elegant ambience, friendly atmosphere, beautiful scenery, delicious cuisine, immaculate residence and top-rated trout fishing, then I strongly encourage a stay with Felix at his Owen River Lodge. Felix devotes all of his time to ensure the highest quality of customer service. Immediately you feel welcomed, comfortable and can relax. The Owen River Lodge is not only a fishing lodge as my wife did not fish and thoroughly enjoyed the tranquility and pristine accomodations that Felix provided. When I can travel from Los Angeles to New Zealand again, I will return to the Owen River Lodge.

Room tip: All rooms are comfortable and elegant.
Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Felix has so generously hosted the South Island Casting for Recovery (CFR) weekend retreat for breast cancer survivors for the last 2 years. This is an amazing gesture and is the much needed luxury for 10 deserving cancer survivors. Just to see how these women relax at Owen River Lodge is astounding. Two days of great food, company and scenery (and fishing too) has made a huge impact and life-long memories for us all. A huge thank you Felix from Casting for Recovery New Zealand.

Date of stay: April 2014