Owen River Lodge
Mataki Motel(Murchison)
US$90
US$130
Owen River Tavern & Motels(Murchison)(Great Value!)
US$90
Murchison Motels(Murchison)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
TripAdvisor
All reviewschef ryanowen riverfly fishingbrown troutother guestshis teamworld classattention to detailfive starnew zealandsouth islandfishing experienceguided fishinggreat fishingbucket listdays fishingour honeymoon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We recently spent 5 nights at Owen River Lodge, with 4 days of guided fishing. The lodge is located in a beautiful, secluded valley (is there any part of New Zealand that is not beautiful?).
The guest rooms are quiet, comfortable and attractive. The quality of the meals served was exceptionally good.

Felix is definitely a "hands-on" owner and manager, and goes to great lengths to ensure that every guest has a wonderful experience. The atmosphere at Owen River Lodge is unpretentious and relaxed; at the same time, the level and quality of service is very high..

This was our first trip to New Zealand, and these South Island Browns lived up to their reputation, in regard to both size and wariness. The skills and abilities of the guides are critically important. All of the guides employed by Owen River are hard working professionals, including our guide (Aaron Ford). In order to be successful, you and your guide must work as a team, and the ORL guides are effective communicators. They are also an easy going, likable group.

All in all, we had a wonderful time, and definitely plan to return.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Having visited with friends at the start of the season, we returned yet again. Owen River Lodge is still the perfect luxury fly fishing holiday destination. The fabulous guides with their keen eyes seem able to give everyone the opportunity most days to fish to several sighted fish. Despite angler errors (on my part anyway) we were able to land some great browns, take some lovely pictures and thoroughly enjoy ourselves. The food, staff, service and accommodation were as good as ever. Felix has made some small improvements based on guest comments and he and the staff ensure they do what they can to deliver a memorable experience. We will be back!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Perfect for fly fishing, biking and relaxing in beautiful surroundings. Felix and staff run a seamless operation. We had lots of excellent dining around New Zealand but the lodge's offerings were the best. kudos to both chef's. Lots to do for non-fishing guests including walks with Keelie the resident yellow lab and soaking in the hot tub overlooking the Owen River. Our fly fishing members of the family loved their guide, Peter. This place is not to be missed.

Room Tip: All cottages are very private, simple but elegant
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My family and I toured New Zealand’s North Island as well as the South Island for several weeks over the Christmas holidays experiencing many highlights. After my family returned back to the States, leaving me with some quality fishing time, I stopped in at the Owen River Lodge which turned out to be icing on my vacation cake. Felix, the consummate host, and his superb chef Ryan, provided a Kiwi experience with flourish and panache. The ORL experience was extremely comfortable with unwavering attention to detail making the grounds, cottage, lodge, and food impeccable
Being on my own, Felix’s engaging personality, and his interaction with the guests created a very amiable and welcoming experience. Felix paired me with a guide whose personality and skill matched perfectly with the experience I was seeking. Since I only fish with split cane rods, both my guide and Felix were accommodating without judgment.

I originally embarked on a “trip of a live time”. However, something’s are just too good to experience only once………

Until next time, Cheers to Felix, his staff, and the ORL.

Gary Y.
Colorado

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My wife and I just spent 7 days at Owen River Lodge with 3 days guided fishing and 4 tacking the region's rivers on our own - albeit with some tips from owner Felix. On the guided days we hooked 18 brown trout and landed 11 including a purple patch on the Owen a River itself when we hooked 8 and landed 6 - which according to Felix and our outstanding guide, Paul, was an incredible result for that river. The fish included personal bests of 7.25lb and 6.75lb for my wife and self, respectively. We are pretty much flyfishing tragics and have now stayed at many of New Zealand's top flyfishing lodges and we visit NZ every six months or so to fish. Firstly, I'd like to respond to the negative comment below which blames Felix for the weather - every flyfisherman knows that when you fish NZ chances are it will rain at some stage or blow or snow. That's part of it. We once fished out of a North Island lodge with a guide for 3 days - it rained the entire time. We still went out, we hooked seven fish and caught four. And had a ball. The moaner below isn't a true flyfisher person, so discard those comments. This is flyfishing at its finest, casting to wild, wily, brown trout in incredible surroundings. It is one of the ultimate flyfishing challenges in the world. On top of that Felix is a gem and couldn't be more helpful; the staff are all fantastic, chef Ryan's food is outstanding, and our guide Paul did what no other guide has managed to do so far - helped cure me, or at least massively improve, several bad casting traits. And has eyes a hawk would be proud of. Flyfishing has a wonderful community, of which we are proud to be a tiny part, and Owen River Lodge stands as a top class lodge servicing not only the community but travellers who just want to lay back and enjoy one of the most beautiful parts of the world.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple