New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“A Must for Your Bucket List!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Owen River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Murchison
Owen River Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“A Must for Your Bucket List!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

If you are planning a fishing trip to New Zealand, the Owen River Lodge is a must. For a long time, I have planned to visit the beautiful country of New Zealand. My son and I love to fly fish and did our homework before traveling to New Zealand in the last two weeks March, 2013; the Owen River Lodge was recommended to us for an excellent fishing venue. We traveled/fished the South Island for two weeks and purposely left the last week for the Owen River Lodge. Our stay at the Lodge was perfect; Felix and all the Lodge staff made us feel at home, accommodations were picture-perfect overlooking the Owen River, dinning (chef selections and socialization with other guests) was wonderful. Our fly fishing guide (Paul) is a professional. On the first day he listened; because of physical limitations (my bad knees) he selected fishing locations that were accommodating to my needs. And at locations, he made sure there were no difficulties crossing rivers. Most importantly, Paul put us on big brown trout and very effectively taught us new fishing techniques necessary for catching the feisty New Zealand brown trout. The Owen River Lodge gave us a perfect New Zealand fishing experience. Both of us have gone back to the USA, my son back to North Carolina and I to Virginia, with photographs of big brown trout caught in the Owens River region and thankful to Felix, the Owen River Lodge staff and Paul for our bucket full of memories.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

I have just spent 6 nights at Owen River Lodge. I went there with high hopes & my experience exceeded my wildest expectations. The accommodation was first class with service to match. Felix's hospitality was fantastic, I can't speak highly enough. The guests are the centre of attention at all times & all the staff make the stay at the lodge a trip to remember.
the fishing was out of this world, so many quality waters within 1 hour of the lodge & the guides were sensational. I was there at Easter & left it late to book a guide on Easter Saturday so Felix personally took me out for a day out of his own good will.
The food was out of this world, I requested vegetarian meals & was catered for perfectly. Ryan the head chef is world class & it was wonderful to sit down to such fine dining at the end of a great days fishing.
If you get the chance, do yourself a favour & head to Owen river for a visit, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Blenheim, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

From setting the first foot inside the Owen River Lodge the feeling of warmth and welcome felt like being wrapped in a cuddly rug. Every comfort was catered for. Felix and Nicky were unobtrusive but there anticipating every need. The rooms are spacious and beautifully appointed and exquisite meals were a highlight. I would heartily recommend the lodge to anyone wants an exceptional experience.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

My recent visit to the Owen River Lodge was a fantastic experience! Owner and host Felix Borenstein has created the perfect New Zealand fly fishing experience and getaway. Accommodations are top notch, every meal exceptional, the selection of NZ wines outstanding and, of course, the fishing world-class. My guide Craig was without a doubt the most patient guide I've fished with and his knowledge of the streams phenomenal. The entire staff of the Owen River Lodge were unbelievably accommodating and they created the perfect stay. I'll definitely return!

Room Tip: It doesn't matter; all the rooms are great.