Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
eDreams
All reviews homemade bread lovely hosts bed and breakfast a lovely place to stay one night new zealand fellow guests stayed longer living room next morning buller river fish philip ben pizzeria lodge chatting
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 January 2021

First of all...anyone who wonders about staying overnight in Murchison......don’t worry. This accommodation solution is as good as any in New Zealand...seriously what it lacks in finesse it makes up, in spades, with ambience. The hosts would put a number of so called 5 star management teams to shame with their attentiveness, interactive skills and genuine desire to please. Only regret....not dining there as I believe the food would have been excellent albeit from a limited supper style menu.....would I stay here again.....you betcha.

Date of stay: January 2021
1  Thank Gordon W
Reviewed 17 November 2020 via mobile

Booked a last minute overnight stop run route north and could not have been more delighted. Philip and Daphne perfect and generous hosts in a beautiful lodge with everything you want including beautiful view. Well appointed. Great breakfast.

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2020

We stopped over for 1 night to break our journey from the West Coast back to Picton. The lodge is a beautiful timber building. spacious and with lots of different nooks and crannies for sitting and relaxing inside ant out. We were lucky to be the only guests that night so had the whole house to ourselves. Our upstairs suite was spacious with a lovely view of the countryside. A walk out the back of the property took us down towards the river. Very picturesque. Daphne and Phillip made us very welcome and were friendly and easy to chat with.

Date of stay: October 2020
Reviewed 26 July 2020 via mobile

When we arrived on a cold winter afternoon, Phillip had the fire blazing and welcomed us with a tour of the house. It turned out my friend and I were the only guests so we had the place all to ourselves. We spent the evening listening to music, eating delicious pizza from The Cow Shed pizzeria and having drinks by the fire.

The beds were rather firm, I didn't have trouble sleeping though. Even though it was freezing outside, the underfloor heating made the bathroom deluxe! It was such a treat everytime I went in there. There were many thoughtful features in the bedroom, funny books, bottled water, sweet treats and tissues provided.

In the morning the scent of bacon and coffee floated up the stairs. I went down to find our host in the kitchen preparing breakfast. He cooked our eggs to order, everything was delicious. The only thing we found slightly strange was that once breakfast was ready our hosts remained in the house the whole time we were eating. They were very friendly, but my friend and I found it too early for socialising and felt a little uncomfortable. Phillip was very attentive offering more coffee and extra bacon, Daphne was lovely and the baby was cute, but my friend and I hadn't seen each other for a long time and we just wanted to talk to each other without seeming rude. We figured it must be the European hospitality to attend to your guests throughout the meal. Perhaps there could be a tick box on the breakfast menu asking if you would like company or space during breakfast.

I would have liked to light the fire early in the morning but there was no kindling around, and I didn't want to disturb our hosts at 6am. The sun came shining in by breakfast time and there was alternative heating so it wasn't a problem, but would have added to our enjoyment.

Apart from these small things, the overall stay was fantastic and I would highly recommend Murchison Lodge. This couple really know how to run a bed and breakfast!

Date of stay: July 2020
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2020

We stayed there, as my husband likes to fish and this was a great place to base from. The town has got more features that you would expect and the Hosts are very helpful explaining. The Hosts were very welcoming and the Lodge is a real treat. Breakfast was great. The stay was very peaceful and for me, to walking was stunning!

Room tip: Think that all the rooms would be good
Date of stay: February 2020