See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 March 2016

My husband is a fly-fisherman and has stayed at the lodge for the past three years for approx. 4 nights and I have stayed the past two years for 4 nights. We can't say enough positive things about how much we truly love staying there. The staff (Bill and Jeannie) are the best! Bill is extremely knowledgeable about all things and we enjoy our conversations with him immensely. Jeannie is kind and always happy with a warm smile. They both go above and beyond to help with anything and everything you need. Alistair (the chef) is at a Michelin level! And the location is positively stunning and peaceful. We highly recommend it!
Thank you Bill, Jeannie and Alistair!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are unique and lovely
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Heather E
Reviewed 20 February 2016

We had the misfortune to book at this "Lodge " for one night . Cost - Room only basis $630NZD .On arrival mid afternoon, we found a gracious old home situated in a beautiful position overlooking a beautiful lake. A middle aged woman (Housekeeper ) greeted us - no concierge , in fact no other staff , in fact no staff at all as the housekeeper did not stay at the property . Interior of the house is dated , bedroom very average - no TV , no bath , cannot open the windows because of the sandflies/ mosquitos (we were still badly bitten during the night )
and then the news - no dining room , no cook or chef , no room service , no food - nada .In other words if you do not want to drive the 40Km to Murchison - tough - go to bed without dinner - which we did .
What did we get for $630 - a bog standard B class hotel room , no service at all , an adequate breakfast (nothing special) and nothing else
Why would you stay here ? I have no idea.
I thought the days of the great NZ rip off were over (there are so many outstanding resorts of world class quality now in NZ )but clearly this is not the case
Avoid this place

Room Tip: Avoid. Do not stay here .Read the Review from French travellers - same experience except they got dinner - for $1000 NZD per night
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
7  Thank newmarket18
Reviewed 15 February 2016

My husband and I stayed at the lodge for 3 nights. My husband is a fly fisherman and he had 2 days of fantastic fly fishing for trout with a guide. Alistair, the chef, could prepare meals at any Michelin star restaurant in the world. The four course meals were well presented and amazing. They were by far the best we have had in New Zealand. The duck risotto, tender lamb medallions, fresh scallops, tenderloin, and more were all cooked to perfection. The desserts would have made any pastry chef proud. Bill promptly answered all of my questions via e-mail before our arrival. Jennie is absolutely the best. She is always happy and ready to assist you in any way she can. She does it all- from serving the meals, to answering guest's questions, to helping the other staff, and to wonderful conversation. The only area for improvement I would suggest is to upgrade the mountain bikes and kayaks for non-fishing guests.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2015 via mobile

We had a flat battery at the Lake car park nearby and frantically searched for help. I found the manager's house and asked if he had jump leads while he was eating dinner with his wife. He stopped what he was doing, found some jump leads and gave me a lift to the car park and started the car for me. Fixed what felt like a very worrying situation for us as it is in the middle of a national park. Can't thank him enough for his assistance as he went out of his way to help.

The lodge is excellent and is in a fantastic location. Highly recommended.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michael A
lakelodge1, General Manager at Lake Rotoroa Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2015

only to pleased to help.

Reviewed 4 December 2014

Absolutely fabulous place to stay, exceptionally comfortable room, exquisite food, wonderful host and magnificent views of the mountains and lake. Wonderful walking tracks close by and definitely the best quad biking experience I have been on in NZ. Thank you Bill

Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lhowardpt

pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and had a great time 'exploring' the countryside.