See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 February 2016

My husband and I stayed at the lodge for 3 nights. My husband is a fly fisherman and he had 2 days of fantastic fly fishing for trout with a guide. Alistair, the chef, could prepare meals at any Michelin star restaurant in the world. The four course meals were well presented and amazing. They were by far the best we have had in New Zealand. The duck risotto, tender lamb medallions, fresh scallops, tenderloin, and more were all cooked to perfection. The desserts would have made any pastry chef proud. Bill promptly answered all of my questions via e-mail before our arrival. Jennie is absolutely the best. She is always happy and ready to assist you in any way she can. She does it all- from serving the meals, to answering guest's questions, to helping the other staff, and to wonderful conversation. The only area for improvement I would suggest is to upgrade the mountain bikes and kayaks for non-fishing guests.

Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2015 via mobile

We had a flat battery at the Lake car park nearby and frantically searched for help. I found the manager's house and asked if he had jump leads while he was eating dinner with his wife. He stopped what he was doing, found some jump leads and gave me a lift to the car park and started the car for me. Fixed what felt like a very worrying situation for us as it is in the middle of a national park. Can't thank him enough for his assistance as he went out of his way to help.

The lodge is excellent and is in a fantastic location. Highly recommended.

Date of stay: February 2015
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank michaeladams95
lakelodge1, General Manager at Lake Rotoroa Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2015

only to pleased to help.

Reviewed 4 December 2014

Absolutely fabulous place to stay, exceptionally comfortable room, exquisite food, wonderful host and magnificent views of the mountains and lake. Wonderful walking tracks close by and definitely the best quad biking experience I have been on in NZ. Thank you Bill

Date of stay: November 2014
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank lhowardpt

pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and had a great time 'exploring' the countryside.

Reviewed 22 November 2014

Exceptional service. Bill the manager could not have been more helpful or friendly, made our stay amazing with his suggestions of activities and helpfulness in organising everything. the lodge is incredibly comfortable with fantastic views of the lake & mountains. We had the place to ourselves so it was particularly quiet and relaxing, but I think it would be even when much fuller. The food is simply top-class. We enjoyed the lovely walk to the nearby waterfall and an expedition on the hybrid mountain bikes (not in perfect condition, but they worked). The quad bike track is by far the best I've seen anywhere. note that, as with many beautiful places in NZ flies can be an issue when outside, so either cover up or use bug spray. I look forward to a return visit.

Date of stay: November 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
lakelodge1, General Manager at Lake Rotoroa Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2014

we love to read guest comments and when there are 'suggestions' that' we need to improve on something we take notice. The bikes had all been recently serviced locally in a small community hence some 'hybrid' parts on two of them to keep them safely operable.
Really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you all back some time.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

If you have been fortunate enough to experience the private fishing and hunting lodges founded around the world in late 19th and early 20th centuries, you will know what to expect when you visit the Lake Rotoroa Lodge. If you haven't had this experience, I recommend it enthusiastically. At LRL, you will be treated as a member of a club, not a passing traveler - warm, friendly service, excellent food, unobtrusive attention to your needs and interests. If you like to fish, you have some of the best NZ trout rivers to choose from and excellent guides. If not, Bill and Jenny can arrange almost any other activity you can imagine - I particularly recommend the hiking. The Lodge has been updated recently without losing its charm and "clubby" feel.

Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank PBLII
lakelodge1, General Manager at Lake Rotoroa Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Many thanks-always easy with such nice guests. As I write, further renovations are taking place as we continue to enhance guest comforts. We look forward to next season with a further revamp of facilities.