“Friendly Service”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

The waitress was very bubbly, helpful and accurate with her recommendations. I ordered a steak with Kumara chips was lovely and nice to have a healthy option. Was abit disappointed with the dessert strawberries, meringue with icecream as the meringue was overcooked. The waitress did let me know but I didn't realise how overcooked it was so I gave it too a friend to eat as it just tasted like sugar. I have had this before and when it's done well tastes beautiful. Also was surprised with the prices as they seem to have increased the cheapest main was $30. Still a nice ambience in the restaurant but with the price increases I would expect all dishes to be of a high standard which I felt the desserts let them down.

Reviewed 7 November 2017

We called in here for an evening meal. Homemade chicken soup was the starter and it was a delicious clear chicken soup full of flavour. All you can eat salad bar included with the main course was excellent - fresh with a really good variety of different items. Our steaks were tender and cooked correctly. It was very welcoming and we had a lovely waitress (Wahinetoa)

DFasnacht, Owner at Beachcomber Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

Thank you so much for visiting our restaurant and for taking the time to review us on here. It is such a pleasure reading about your good experience you had with us. We are hoping to see you soon again. Greetings from the whole team.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

Had a very good meal at Beachcomber Restaurant. Venison medallions and fish both excellent. Pleasant surroundings and staff. Only "black mark" was the dessert menu wasn't offered; we had to ask for it.

Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

I'm staying nearby for work and was recommended Beachcomber for dinner... best recommendation ever !! I wasn't super hungry so had 2 starters, Brie with blueberry sauce and the Prawn and Avocado cocktail, both were 10/10 delicious! Made me wish I had room for more It was a very comfortable to sit and eat alone, beautiful and clean and the service awesome. Definitely recommend to anyone looking for a place to eat x

Reviewed 16 October 2017

We went to this restaurant on the recommendation of our B&B host and it was a good choice. Friendly and welcoming and serving a good selection of dishes. We were tired and not very hungry. I chose a chicken dish which was light with an apricot sauce and decided not to have either potatoes, rice but just salad. One helped oneself from the salad bar which was very well stocked. and you could help yourself to as much as you wished. We both were teetotal that night as we were going to have a long day on Saturday. We had a pleasant time and the restaurant was fairly full with guests but not noisy and there were arrangements for young children high chairs & a play area. All the staff made time to speak to you an inquire if everything was to your taste but not overly intrusive. After an extremely well-cooked meal in a very pleasant atmosphere quite with background music we left and returned to our B&B. During our first visit, we saw that starting on Saturday they were going to start celebrating Oktober Fest. As both of us like German Food and Wine, we thought we would return the next night.We were very glad we had made that decision as when e returned on the Saturday the place was decorated and ready for jollification. It was even busier than the previous night and everyone was very obviously enjoying themselves. We were greeted again in a friendly and pleasant manner. Also recognised from our visit the night before. They had a special menu of German dishes which pleased us very much.We both chose Pork Knuckle with pickled cabbage and German noodles. I indulged in a glass of Riesling which was very smooth and a complemented my meal. There was again a choice of salad. When our meals arrived we wished we had asked to share one. The portions were LARGE. but the waitress said "take it home and eat it for dinner tomorrow" which is what w did. They had the usual German desserts Appfel Strudel & Black Forest Torte and they also had that NZ favourite Pavlova with fresh strawberries.Again we had a wonderful evening and a delicious meal. If you are in that area do go there for a meal this week and celebrate Oktober Fest but remember that the portions are hearty(Very large).We decided to share a dessert on the advice of the waitress it was difficult to decide which one and had the Torte. My husband had a pleasant talk with the waitress on cooking and how he made the torte. WE also talked with the proprietor about Germany and where we had visited in that country.
Our visit to the Beachcomber was very nice and that is a reason we will have to find a reason to visit Kaitaia again.