See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 February 2016 via mobile

We stayed at the Baja hotel great accommodations .
Heads up don't expect to get any rest . It's a party atmosphere till 4am .
Beach is great during the day lots to restaurants and shopping opportunities ( don't be shy to haggle prices )
Nightlife is alive plenty bars .All in safe ambience .

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank stizdez
Reviewed 15 January 2016

Beautiful property in a fantastic location at the end of the beach, close enough to walk to town in a few minutes, but far enough away from the consistent rave music that plays loudly in the center of town. Our room was very clean and well laid out. We had large balcony as well, from which we could watch some really great surfing less than 100 feet away. The food was decent, and the staff were very pleasant and accommodating. The pool was refreshing and clean (cleaned every day), and the grounds are well maintained. We had a wonderful time, and I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2015

Stayed here for three nights over Christmas.
Positives: Location is the best! It is nice to be down at the quiet end of the beach. You are not bothered by the constant late night beat you would hear if you were closer to town.
Very nice staff, especially Johnnie the bartender (who make some of the best bloody marys and mojitos I have ever had):
Maid service is regular, fast, and on time.
We always had hot water, even during "high use" periods.
Security was very good. More than once members of our group were stopped to insure we were guests. I appreciated this.
Breakfast comes with the room. Breakfast offically starts at 8:00 am, but I always arrived early, and the coffee was hot and flowing. Breakfast was very, very good and filling.
Lunch on site was also good, but limited menu.
Pool was exceptional, perfect temperature, and welcome alternative to the ocean.
The air conditioning in the rooms was great, we were always cool!
Rooms were very clean.

Not so positive (but not a reason to stay away): The lighting in the bath room is challenging.
Athough we paid a high price for a "superior" double, the room was small.
The plastic lounge chairs for sunbathing were absolutley terrible! One hour on those things and you are in pain. The restaurant should consider inverting in some lounge chairs with a little more "give". Until then, get extra beach towels from the hotel for "padding".
Rooms 101 through 305 occupy the "older building" (the white building). These rooms are fine, but rooms 1 through 12, that occupy the brown buildings are newer and nicer.
The price here for rooms is high, but I did not feel that I was getting ripped off.

Tip: the sand around the hotel gets very hot, bring flip-flops.

If I was ever back in Montanitas, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: 305, in the older building has the best view.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank markandrobin2
Reviewed 3 December 2015

My partner and I booked Baja Montanita as it was the last part of our trip to Ecuador and we wanted to 'treat ourselves' to a nice, private room so we paid a little more.

After a very long travel day of getting to Montanita, we were extremely disappointed when we got to our room. We were put in Room 303 of the older building (it is a white building. The new building is a purple/brown color). This room was one small rectangle, with concrete, white walls (no photos), had a very strong smell of mold or something (perhaps the wood roof) and had one dresser to put our stuff on. The bathroom was quite small and we tried to get hot water that evening but didn't have any luck (maybe we were doing something wrong because someone helped us the next day and it was fine).

We couldn't put the air conditioner on because it was extremely loud and clunky sounding. The final straw was when I went to grab a snack from the mini bar. I grabbed a small can of pringles and they were taped closed with clear tape. I shook the can and could only hear crumbs from container! This just made me feel like the room was cheap and not cleaned very well.

I have stayed in much worse rooms/hotels and haven't had an issue with them because the cost was appropriate for a low budget hotel. But when the website advertises very nice rooms for an above average price, we expected to see a hotel room that looked like the website! Also, I am not sure why were put in the older building as the newer building did not seem to be booked and the hotel overall was not very busy.

The next morning, we had asked the front desk person to change rooms or for an early checkout. They showed us a room with a double bed and it was 100% better than our first room...but they said they would charge a extra 20$ per night. We waited to speak to the Manager (we speak barely any Spanish and heard from someone else that the Manager speaks English). So, after waiting a few hours, we spoke to the Manager and he told us we could move to the new room with no extra cost.

We were much happier with our new room...and have zero complaints about this room. However, one last complaint (since I'm on a role) was that my partner had gone downstairs one morning to walk somewhere to get our laundry done. He saw an older woman doing laundry at the hotel and she said she would do it. We didn't ask how much it was, as we thought had seen other laundry services around Ecuador that were quite inexpensive ($12, etc). Later that day we went back and grabbed the bag of laundry. No one was there so we just left. Two days later, the laundry woman came to our room and charged 40$ for one bag full of laundry! Oh geeze.

The positive parts of our experience was the breakfast - it was really delicious and the room we stayed in was very clean.

But there are definitely other hotels in the area that are newer, cheaper and still in a quiet area (Try: Montanita Estates or Casa Del Sol). If I were to go back to Ecuador, I would definitely not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wda333
Reviewed 31 August 2015 via mobile

We got a two Bedroom unit with one bathroom and a balcony overlooking the beach. View was great but room was sparsely furnished with bed, night stand and closet unit with drawers beneath. Bathroom had a leaky toilet and sink didn't drain and not very clean. There was a musty smell so they sprayed something to make it a little bit better. Our friends stayed in a newer building which had much nicer rooms, superior deluxe, but there were none available. To get to town is a 10-15 min walk on the beach but at night we took a $1.50 taxi back to the hotel. Breakfast had made to order eggs or omelet and was average. I would give this a 2.5 star rating. Our experience might have been different if we were in the newer building.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family