“It was better before ”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 September 2016 via mobile

We have been to Kirchsteiger several times in the last years. Unfortunately it lost quality in service and kitchen. We were not happy at all. We are very sorry for that, because we felt like home here. We will not come back - for what it offers, it's now way to expensive!

Reviewed 29 November 2015 via mobile

First time in this cosy restaurant with other 2 couples of friends. We ate different plates: every one was ecxcellent. My favorite were: tagliatelle con ragù di cervo and sella d'agnello. Very good also wine: Chardonnay Sophie and Lagrein Muri- Gries. Good prices. We would like to have such a dinner every day.

Reviewed 17 November 2014

We have stayed in Lana and nearby many times for over 20 years. We often try new restaurants and decided to try Gasthof Kirchsteiger as the menu looked interesting and the restaurant nice. When the owner asked us what we'd like to drink my husband asked for a beer and I a quarter bottle of Lagrein (a "quartino"). She asked if I wanted something "robust" or from Muri Gries. I ordered Muri Gris as I know it quite well but I've never been asked a question like that when ordering Lagrein. Then I ordered a dish with venison (cervo) for 19 Euros and my husband something different for 17 Euros. The food was good but portions very small. I realized that my venison was breaded and not according to the menu description. When the owner brought the bill we were quite shocked. The price of the "quarter" of wine was 14 Euros (not 7 Euros like we usually pay) and my venison was 24.80 Euros and not 19 Euros! When we asked about the prices the owner said the wine was 39 Euros a bottle! She said her husband had made a mistake translating the menu and that the venison I'd ordered was really "capriolo" (roe deer) and so she brought venison. Well, there were many choices with venison on the menu - why not just ask me?! Also from what I understand "capriolo" and "cervo" are similar. In all the years we're been going to Alto Adige we've never been overcharged or treated like this. She clearly thought we were tourists that didn't know much! They lost a client.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

The menus were varied and the selection good. All the courses we enjoyed were carefully prepared. The breakfast was a buffet with a reasonable selection but less impressive than the food in the evening.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Whenever we're in Meran, we visit Kirchsteiger. Fairly big portions in excellent quality. Pizzas are great but also other meals like pasta or the carpaccio. Don't miss the tiramisu or even better the Quarknocken for dessert!