All reviews family run sa torch colon flamingos accommodation lagoon shower guests beach holiday
Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

Stayed as a couple in June 2018. The accommodation served its purpose. The staff are amazing and made our stay enjoyable. Free parking on site, reasonable breakfast, good beach in walking distance. The hotel served as a great base to explore the amazing beaches on offer in Chia.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2017

Stayed 3 nights as a couple in June 2017

Not for me

We stayed her looking for a beach holiday that was relaxing, didn't know what to expect as we hadn't traveled to this area before. Some good points some bad.

Would you like to know more ?

The good

It is always difficult when you look to review a hotel that is family run as it is directly impacting on the owners livelihood and it is important to give an accurate appraisal. I use " trip advisor " to source my hotels, I have done for years and I have rarely, if at all been disappointed, sometimes you need to read between the lines.

This is the first time on returning from my trip I revisited the previous reviews to see if I had misread them.

The accommodation is reasonably priced.

The beach Sa Colonia, which is within walking distance of the accommodation, across some scrub land is, it has to be said, fantastic.

Superb sand and crystal clear water. It has a beach bar which was good value did snacks etc and had really friendly staff. The hut is, Sa Colonia hut - there is also a local restaurant called Sa Colonia ... more of this later.

You could take a family here and have a brilliant time, there are lifeguards on the beach, while we were here they were experiencing a "mistral" wind warm but very breezy.

Food, Il Gabbiano says in the overview that it has a restaurant, at some point in the past it may well have done, at some point in the future it may have one.

In June 2017 it did not.

This makes eating a bit tricky as Chia is a bit like a English beach style resort area without a central focus so there are various holiday type accommodations dotted around a few "camping style" places with a focal point building but not really any central area in which there are restaurants.

Luckily about 500 yds down the road there is a restaurant which you can walk to, take a torch - it is called Sa Colonia, it has some separate reviews on TA, our experience of this restaurant was fantastic.

Great staff, Sara, and really very good food. Pizza, some superb sea food, it was one of those places when you see the food delivered to the table nearby and you catch the waitress and say " what are those people having"

The seafood starter platter was excellent. All reasonably priced. This place really made a difference to our stay.

A short drive away is The Hub Chia Bar this is a bar and shop which people seemed to congregate at late afternoon and was a good place for a drink.

The Bad

Il Gabbiano is a family run, kind of motel type place. It is down a small track not too hard to find and there is parking usually outside the room you are staying in.

The owners are friendly and they speak a small amount of English they were helpful and you kind of feel welcome.

The grounds back onto a lagoon, where apparently there are Flamingos, there were Flamingos about the area but we couldn't really see them and the grounds are quite rough down to the lagoon. It could be fantastic, but it isn't in my view.

The rooms are located in clusters dotted around the area with a central building which is where breakfast is served.

You have a kind of seating area with a table and chairs outside by the doorway and it would seem without exception all of the aircon units back onto these areas making the seating area somewhat noisy and industrial looking. Also lots of bugs, some citronella candles would have really helped.

The room we had was big enough, but had dated furniture and just didn't really give the impression it was as clean as it could be.

The bathroom was dated and had panels coming off the wall which seemed to cover the electrics.

It had a shower on the very small side and even worse was one of those showers that alternatively freeze and then burn you, which given the size of cubical made for a difficult experience as there was nowhere to hide.

Breakfast was a bit hit and miss and I do not believe some of the food was fresh daily so I skipped most of it. The coffee was good though.

If you are going to stay here in my view you need to weigh up the price against the standard of accommodation and the benefit of the fantastic beach.

If you are looking for a rustic beach holiday maybe with kids then this could be great, but don't expect any type of high quality accommodation.

It is quiet and you are largely left to your own devices.

The Ugly

Had I been more prepared for the type of accommodation this place provides then it may not have had such an impact on me. I am all for roughing it on the beach and I understand the constraints on keeping the accommodation fresh if guests are bringing sand in daily , however it is the least I expect to be able to have a good shower at the end of the day and this was the worst shower I have encountered for a long long time.

The owners were nice enough but the impression I was left with was one where they couldn't really make the effort to keep the place in good order.

If you installed some BBQs made it a more self catering place, actually told people there is no restaurant on site and tried to market it as a beach hotel then yes it could be great as it has the beach side location.

If you read previous reviews then as far back as 2010 the place has been described a shabby, seems in 2015 it was described as clean and food seemed to be available - my view in 2017, shabby no restaurant, not so clean and in need of renovations, you can't argue with the price.

Still good for a pure beach holiday though but I wouldn't return

Room tip: No advice other than come prepared for a beach break
Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ian4450
Reviewed 3 October 2016

we already wrote a review but I didn't realize it & started another one and I can't get the site to let me review another place until I finish this one. but we loved this place & would go back there today!

Date of stay: September 2016
Reviewed 5 September 2016 via mobile

If you are looking for a laid back relaxing beach stay, this is THE place. Very quiet. Sweet, clean, up to date bungalows, soft breezes, fantastic fresh breakfasts, 5 minute walk to an almost private beach, 5 minute walk to a lovely very accomodating restaurant. Owner doesn't speak very much if any English, but we get along in Italian. That's why we come! We'd go back in a heartbeat!

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Companion38550
Reviewed 13 August 2015

We spent 9 days at this hotel. The family who operates it is very kind and welcoming. Mrs. Monica, who manages it, is an energic woman that helped us both with valuable information and with small problems (not hotel-related) that we experienced.

The rooms are spacious and very clean. Breakfast is champion-style and always great. The hotel has a very nice garden with a spacious common area in the middle. This is the only location where wi-fi is available.
It faces also the lake, where a lot of flamingos were visible.

The hotel is at the end of a secondary road which is dark at night, so bring with you a torch or a phone unless you got a car.

The beach is 5 minutes away and can be reached from the lake side or via the roads.

It was a very pleasure staying!

Date of stay: August 2015