“Fantastic pizza and pasta.”
Review of Via Farina

Via Farina
Ranked #147 of 1,530 Restaurants in Omaha
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Reviewed 7 September 2017

I've been all over Omaha looking for great pizza - and found some good ones. Via Farina is my favorite. Incredible crust baked in a real wood-fired oven. Top notch ingredients. And passion for what they do. Don't just stop with the pizza, though. Their pastas are excellent, as are their roasted veggies. I am particularly fond of their Egg Yolk Raviolo. Just a single, giant ravioli - but this and a side salad would make a decent (and delicious) meal.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

We tried this restaurant based on a search for thin crust pizza in Omaha. It's a smaller scale facility but nicely decorated. It has tables, a nice bar and outside seating. We passed on having a beer based on the price ($9.00) but opted instead for ice tea and lemonade. We ordered 2 pizzas....pepperone and another with sausage. The pepperone had the most flavor by a long shot. The other one ...sorry, forgot the name, had sausage but it didn't have as much flavor as the other. Hubby didn't care for the edge crust as it was a little too thick but I loved it!The waitress was very nice and did a good job of making sure we had everything we needed. Overall a very nice restaurant and we'll definitely be back!

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

I visited this little Italian restaurant near the Old Market with my son. I fell in love with Via Farina. It has wonderful ambience with a great vibe. They make all their pasta in-house (delicious!) and have a wood burning pizza oven. Via Farina also has a nice selection of wines. The food is amazing. We both had their house salad. The vinegarette dressing was perfect with fresh greens and bits of pancetta. They make all their own pasta in-house. I had the gemelli pasta. It was just the right portion and was simply amazing! My son had the fritti pizza. It is fried (have never seen that before) and finished with fresh greens. My son loved it. Highly recommend. I will be back!

Reviewed 6 July 2017

This is a great find right by the Blue Barn Theater. I dined here twice before a show and it is a perfect spot for such. Both times I had the pizza verde of which I very much enjoyed. One can eat a full pizza and need not share but if with others, it is fun to share the various dishes. The last time we had between the three of us: the pizza verde, the pici nero and the pasta tajarin. All were taste delights. Via Farina has a nice wine selection as well. I have not been there when it is opened up for the summer but see that is possible and would be fun. I enjoyed the atmosphere and found the staff to be professional and courteous. Thumbs up.

Reviewed 5 July 2017

I was very excited to try out this new restaurant. We love Italian food and this place - making its own pasta - grabbed our attention. Then, I read the website and saw that the chef was James Beard nominated for other restaurants; and, they specifically call out on the website that children are welcome. So, this place hit on all of our needs! We were excited!

Before I get to what we did like, I have to talk about what ruined the experience - our server. WOW! When we asked if they had a kids menu, fully expecting one based on their welcoming of children on the website, the "no" that we got almost can't be described. Imagine the most bored, annoyed, could-not-care-less way that you could say "no." And he followed that up with.... nothing. No suggestion of kids items that would make sense or that they had prepared before. Just a blank look. So, I kind of stammered around asking what kind of pasta dish we could get for them. It was the most awkward exchange ever for ordering basic buttered noodles for my kids. Then, I ordered them each a milk. Between the $11 pasta they shared and $3 each for the milks, I spent $17 on my kids. Love them to death, but that is more than I ever pay for kids meals! This alone makes me never want to come back.

And, that doesn't even speak to my husband's and my ordering experience. The continued blank stares, lack of any kind of technicolor in explaining the dishes we asked about, and the delay in clearing the used dishes were so frustrating. I asked about one of their appetizers. It is described on the menu as: FRICO CALDO
wood roasted potato and montasio cheese with parsley and shallot dressing. When I asked a little more about it, he said, "yeah, its potatoes and cheese." Oh really?! I can see that on the menu! Come on!

So, that is what I had. My husband did enjoy his incredibly small pasta. We shared a decent bottle of wine - all of them are $30, which does make it easy. And, we got out of there.

I am so disappointed! The decor is cool, the menu seemed fresh and inventive, though not expansive. Not sure I will come back...

1  Thank OnHoliday13

Been to Via Farina? Share your experiences!