“Not as good as it could be”

South Restaurant and Coffee House
Ranked #49 of 916 Restaurants in Anchorage
Reviewed 27 June 2018

Ate here 3 times recently. The burgers were nothing special but the fish and chips better. The beer was fine and the service mostly ok. This restaurant however does seem to think its a little better than it actually is.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

Huge portions of good food served quickly with an attentive staff. Although we didn't stop by the bakery, everything looked delicious and you can watch them baking and decorating thru the huge glass windows.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I won’t lie I come to South at least twice a week . I meet girlfriends for a glass of wine and happy hour , dinner with my family and sone days I just sit at the bar and eat breakfast alone . The meals are high quality , large portions and they are consistent. The service is impeccable. I just love the vibe here and always choose a booth in the bar are I think it’s too loud in the dining area . My fav breakfast eats is the Spanish breakfast . It’s amazing and I can not resist it . The grapefruit juice is hand squeezed fresh each day . The mixologist at the bar are well trained and friendly. If you haven’t tried this swanky joint .. your missing out .

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

It's not downtown and therefore off the tourist track. But if you have a car, you'll be delighted by both the food and the cocktails here. They're busy so be sure to make a reservation. From the same folks that run the uber-popular Snow City Cafe.

Reviewed 1 March 2018

My dinner here after a long workday was memorable more for the conversation than the food or the service in this restaurant. The special scallops with ravioli was outstanding, but the highly touted mussels were small and dry, served in a bowl of rich broth with only a few bits of whole grain bread. They brought more when we asked. I also felt that the service was overly missing in action, until we noticed that the entire staff had been gathered around the outdoor fire pit for some kind of meeting. Really? Why have a meeting in the middle of the dinner rush when the place is full of customers? When the waiter returned, however, he was super nice. Maybe I just caught them on an off night. Worth another try.