“Fun Rafting Trip Down Tieton River”

Blue Sky Outfitters Whitewater Rafting
Reviewed 13 September 2015

We took a fun afternoon rafting trip down the Tieton River. The rafting trip is only available in September due to dam released water. The rapids were mostly 2s - nothing crazy or dangerous. This is a great option for families. The guides are friendly and capable, and they make it a great afternoon adventure.

All reviews
"wenatchee river"
in 29 reviews
"van ride"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this company"
"super fun"
in 7 reviews
"instructions"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 8 September 2015 via mobile

We went tubing on the Wenatchee river with the wine tour. Yes the tubing was slow but so worth it. The scenery was gorgeous and Brad even let us borrow a waterproof phone case to safely take pictures. After the tubing we had some time to go back and change to begin our wine tour. We had a nice sampler of cheeses and crackers on the way to our destinations. Even tho the final stop was closed, he offered to drive us out to Wenatchee to another great place. Even called ahead to let them know we were on our way! He was very knowledgable about the area and gave us a great recommendation for dinner afterwards. Overall we absolutely enjoyed our tour!

1  Thank MrGlobes
Reviewed 20 August 2015 via mobile

We had an absolutely fantastic day out on the White Salmon River with Blue Sky, which had class III and Class II Rapids, as well the the optional trip over the class V waterfall. The views are fantastic, most of the river has rapids so that you're rarely just floating along, and by going mid week as we did there were only two rafts- it didn't look as if other rafting companies had any boats out- so it was if we had the river to ourselves.

I was especially impressed by Tom & Kiera's (our guides) handling of the waterfall description. it's easy to picture describing the waterfall as either horrifically scary or in such a way that a customer would feel goaded into going, but they described it in a very matter-of-fact way that it made it easy for a customer to choose to go over or not go over (if you choose no, you walk to the other side, as the waterfall happens to coincide with a road bridge) without feeling like you missed the chance of a lifetime. Only one of the people in our group chose not to go, and none of the ones who did go over the falls fell out. Tom & Kiera did a great job, and were helpful recommending places to eat as well.

There are chances to jump off cliffs and bridges. The water is cold, but on the 90 degree day we went, it was welcome.

NB: this location is about 1- 1.5 hours directly east of Portland Orgeon, so despite Blue Sky being listed as being in Seattle (as most of their trips are closer to there), you would not want to drive down from Seattle in the morning to do the White Salmon River. You could, but it it is better done from Portland.

Reviewed 11 August 2015

My boyfriend and I were originally scheduled for the whitewater rafting and wine tour, unfortunately due to record low water levels they called about a month in advance of our tour to reschedule. Totally understandable they can't do anything about the water levels so I signed up to do tubing and wine tasting as well as a BBQ as the alternative. I was told once it was processed I'd receive a new email confirmation and a credit but it might take awhile. A few days before our scheduled tour I still had nothing so I called to confirm, turns out the guy I spoke to never rebooked us at all. No apologies were forthcoming but the lady on the phone was very efficient and I had a new confirmation within the hour. Then the day before our trip someone new called to tell us there would be no BBQ after all, again seemed like they should have known that the day before but the woman I spoke with said I would receive a credit back so I didn't argue.
The day of our excursion we got to Blue Sky and the lady checking in was very efficient (she appeared to be doing just about everything) we were sitting waiting for our bus within minutes. The tour departed on time, in a very beat up school bus I might add, but then we sat in the parking lot for 15 mins waiting for another group that never came. We got to the river and the tubing part was great, the two guys were friendly and has us all floating within 10 minutes. We floated for about an hour and 15 minutes (could take longer if you stop a lot) and the exit from the river went smoothly as well. We were told to be back about 1:20 for the wine tour departure and thats where things started to go off course.
We returned at the scheduled time and there were two big groups of bachelorettes going out with us, luckily they split us into two groups starting in opposite directions as to not overwhelm the wineries. So we ended up with a group of four and another couple. We got into the van which was pretty rickety looking (the back exit door closed by a bungee cord) but our guide promised us the van had a/c and a stereo so we'd still be in comfort. Turns out neither the stereo nor the A/C were working, in fact the heat was cranking for 10 minutes before someone finally spoke up, it was pretty much a sauna in the van. We got to our first winery, which was lovely little place and began our tasting, our guide then informed us that she had to return to town and that we should just "hang out and enjoy our wine." Turns out our guide had forgotten to pick up two people on the way that were meant to be with our group. She was gone for 45 minutes and when she got back we were all done with tasting but since the couple had just got there, our guide asked if we wouldn't mind waiting while they did their tasting. She did buy us all a glass of wine in return for our patience but seriously there was nothing for us to do. We finally got on the road after about an hour and a half at the first winery, on the rode to the next winery which was actually a collective of three wineries. We did a couple more tastings but we ended up overlapping with the other group because of the delay and everything was crowded. Then our guide informed us if we wanted to make it to the next winery we needed to leave asap. Even though we left as soon as she told us, the next winery was already closed when we arrived. Our guide then offered to take us all to a brewery in town and buy us a beer to compensate.
Don't get me wrong our guide was obviously doing the best she could but this tour was obviously overbooked and disorganized right from the start. Plus for $55 a person there was really nothing you couldn't easily do on your own with a car and a map. I'm sure this company really specializes in whitewater rafting adventures and I should have stuck to that, I wish I'd saved my money from the wine tour and just asked them to rebook me for the whitewater rafting next year.

1  Thank Nicole W
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 August 2015

We took a tube float trip on the Wenatchee River at the BLue Sky Leavenworth location. The staff was gregarious and friendly and we enjoyed them. The safety brief and equipment was fine. We should have asked why they pushed us all to take Frisbees to act as oars. That is called foreshadowing. The problem was (1) a stiff upstream breeze; and (2) record low water levels which turned the tubing stretch of the Wenatchee River into a very long and thin lake. With the exception of three or four riffles there was no water moving at more than a crawl and when the wind gusted you actually floated upriver. So with a dead weight grandkid bungeed to each of our tubes we ended up rowing with the frisbees most of the way. Not so restful. Water and wind are not the fault of the stff of course, but they could have been a little more informational about the impact of the environment on the bucolic float trip. Gorgeous views, kids loved bailing out and splashing in the shallows. Wait for higher water though - if it ever comes.

1  Thank Leatherneck6693