“AMAZING DAY and LIFELONG DREAMS!”

Makana Lani Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Fishing charter, affordable
Reviewed 3 May 2018

Thanks so much to Makana Lani and their incredible crew, went fishing with this charter back in December, a life long dream for me was catching a marlin...of any size I wouldve been happy with...but thanks to this charters amazing skills, I am able to say that I pulled in an 800 pound blue marlin. yep 800 lbs. I am a fly fishing guide here in New Mexico so I have a good idea of what a good day out on the water looks like for a client...these guys were incredible. Walters got some AMAZING stories!!! Aloho Nui Loa guys my girlfriend and I had an amazing time and look forward to doing it again!!! Book with these guys!

All reviews
"boats"
in 3 reviews
"hula"

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

We had an AMAZING day with captain Kenny and “uncle” Walter. We started the day bright and early and watched a beautiful sunrise as we made our way out to sea. Although seas were calm that day, we all had a little sea sickness but captain Kenny did everything to try to make us comfortable. Although there wasn’t much excitement on the way out, as soon as we got near the buoy (which is in the middle of the ocean) fish began to bite immediately! Both kids (6 and 8) reeled in a couple beautiful tuna and when a third tuna was on the line, we saw a GIANT mahi following it in! “Uncle” Walter knew exactly what to do and sprang into action and threw out some chum to lure it in and a baited hook and BOOM we had a 39 pound mahi on board!! It was a total blast!! We ended up with two ahi tunas, a skipjack tuna, and a mahi. Even with some sea sickness we would all do it again in a heartbeat! Awesome charter, awesome captain and crew, Awesome day!!! Thank you Kenny and “uncle” walter!!

Reviewed 12 February 2018

I would probably have given another star if the fish had cooperated. They didn't, only a couple of bites and "quick releases" each of the two days I scheduled with Capt. Ken. But he and deckhand, Cole, ran a tight ship, had good gear and did their best to put us on fish. Reports from other boats were the fish were just not abundant. It wasn't until I got there I learned early February isn't typically a great time of year to fish. Wish I could have learned that earlier but even though I did extensive research, there was little info I could find about the poor, better or best times to fish the Kona Coast. If I were to go back again - at a supposedly better time of year, I'd not hesitate to go out on the Makana Lani again.

Ken F, Owner at Makana Lani Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2018

Thank you for fishing with us, I’ve seen a chart I'll see if I can find one for you, Thank You for your review we appreciate your honesty, Blessings Kenny

Reviewed 24 July 2017

Booked a 3/4 day charter with Capt Ken, great guy right from the start, and best price in town. We trolled around, for a few hours with no action....then BZZZZZZ she was on...what ended up as a 700lb Blue Marlin. Kens 1st mate Walter gave me al the direction and help I needed to tag and release the massive female marlin. Kens grandson Dalton also kept me cool and kept the chair turned toward the fish, during the 1 hr long battle. We were all smiles and even more smiles when we tagged and released her, watching her swim back to the depths was great to see. Thanks Again
Kens told me on the phone he wants to make everyones time on the Makana Lani memorable....mine sure was

1  Thank surveyor72
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 February 2017 via mobile

Yesterday I was fortunate to have chartered a day with Captain Kenny Fogarty, crewed by his brother Captain Greg Fogarty on their excellent 31' fishing boat. After many many "boat rides" over too many attempts, my # 1 bucket list fish, a big Pacific Blue Marlin, had eluded me. I have come to The Big Island over the past 12 years in the winter months ( not prime Marlin season) fished about a dozen charters over that time to no avail. Fish yes. Blue Marlin not even a strike.
This time I talked to several recommended captains before talking with Captain Kenny Fogarty. In less than a minute, his passion for fishing, exuberance, calm and knowledgeable struck a chord. Then there was a sense of his generous and true Aloha spirit.
The full day charter was serene and wonder filled throughout. The boat was expertly equipped with great rods, reels and lures to target all species. The fighting chair had a Melton sliding fabric "bucket" that let you use all your legs and back with the rod holder efficiently with power.
Expert boat handling , advice from Greg "Stretch" Fogarty and blessings on the day resulted in tagging and releasing a 325 lb Pacific Blue. A 24lb Mahi Mahi added to the days catch with a bigger one "long distance released"
My joy at getting my Blue aside, even if I hadn't caught it, the time spent with these two exceptionally giving, kind and humble Fogartys on the water, on their boat and in their total element was the essence of the Aloha spirit. A true and forever blessing for which I am eternally grateful.