The Highlands by Unique Hotels
The Grand Hotel(Nuwara Eliya)
US$226
US$176
  • Restaurant
Heritance Tea Factory(Nuwara Eliya)
US$289
US$167
The Firs(Nuwara Eliya)
US$97
US$89
US$219
US$146
Chez Allen(Nuwara Eliya)(Great Value!)
US$50
Midky Hotel(Nuwara Eliya)
US$62
US$49
The Blackpool Hotel(Nuwara Eliya)
US$230
US$131
Travelocity
Ferncliff(Nuwara Eliya)
US$136
US$115
Priceline
Heidi's Home(Nuwara Eliya)(Great Value!)
US$38
US$34
Stafford Bungalow(Nuwara Eliya)
US$323
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Tired and glad it was just one night.”

Looks swish. Good view over racecourse and lake. Foyer nice. Very helpful manager. Good food.

It's a pretty hotel at first glance bit the veneer is getting old. Bird poo all over our balcony so couldn't use it. Things broken in room, like door strip so kept tripping up. Not cheap. Be careful of the tuk tuks. Don't be ripped off.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
UHTC, CEO at The Highlands by Unique Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

It was really honor to have you all staying with us

Your Review is a great motivation for My Team and My Self but external matters are not with our limits such as Tuk Tuk

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

In my opinion, this hotel gives the impression from photos that it's a higher standard than what it is in reality and as such I feel it is overpriced compared to other properties in the area. My experience was of too few/inadequately trained staff, poorly installed fixtures/fittings, inconsistent service and a rude customer service from the company's head office when I complained in writing on my return from holiday.

1. Broken fixtures & fittings
2. Hot water runs out after 3-4 mins
3. We waited ages for fresh towels
4. Cleaner left dirty water in sink after housekeeping
5. Rooms sometimes not cleaned until the evening

Having written and emailed a summary list to the head office of the feedback points we were not happy with they initially ignored my email. When I chased them up days later to set them a deadline to respond in order to resolve my complaint (before executing my right to leave a public review on Google and Booking.com), they informed me I was threatening them and were referring to their legal department. They ignored all of my points and so I escalated the issue to Booking.com who were extremely helpful and have compensated me fairly. I also explained to Booking.com that they tried to use the threat of their legal department to prevent me from executing my right to free speech as a UK citizen and to prevent me from leaving a negative review.

This is a fairly new hotel which in my opinion has a lot to learn about customer experience.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
UHTC, General Manager at The Highlands by Unique Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2018

Your Review is a great motivation for My Team and My Self

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

We stayed only one night in this Hotel on our round trip. The room was very nice with a great view. The bed was very comfortable and linen a good quality. The staff was friendly, but unfortunately we got a very same impression as some other visitors what comes to service and quality in the breakfast. We did not get the coffee and tea after half on hour waiting. We thought also that there is a lack of workers. We have now an experience of four other "three star" hotels in Sri Lanka and in those other ones there has been more service personnal and "managers" has been serving the customers in breakfast time also.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Your Review is a great motivation for My Team and My Self

Reviewed 14 January 2018

This hotel is nothing it discribes to be on the website or on any booking engine. The pictures are taking most probably at the opening about a year ago and do certainly not represent what we experienced. We checked out ten minutes after we checked in.

On arrival the receptionist is friendly, unfortunately there is also somebody behind the reception desk playing video games and looking not really hospitable, maybe even a bit hostile. The reception area and the "restaurant" is one room, it looks outdated (how is this possible after one year), has no atmosphere and is invested with flies. Not a really inviting place to have breakfast.

Upstairs there is a general space with a pool table and a seating area, again the atmosphere is lacking and the place looks run down.

The only positive thing I can saw about the room is the size, the room is big but very outdated and really, really cold. The bathroom is really small and has a open air ventilation, this makes it impossible to have a nice temperature in the whole room. There is a small heater provided, but this seems not enough. I was quite surprised to hear that the hotel was only open for a year, the room looks old and is not properly cleaned. The floor looks like it has been flooded, because all the laminate floor parts are popping out from the floor. And again there was not atmosphere what so ever in the room.

This hotel is absolutely not value for your money, please spend it somewhere else.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dpeters1977
UHTC, Manager at The Highlands by Unique Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2018

Dear Sir

We are totally Health resort and do not permit consumption of Alchohol

We are aware about your frustration on consumption of Alchohol hence we had given you the option to check out without charges

Further we do not discount on bookings on threats and our images as you see are actuals

We wish you all Goodness in life

Thanking you

James J

Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

My family and I stayed here for 1 night in Jan and were appalled at the indifferent service and general chaos at this so called boutique hotel.

I do not blame the hotel staff for the poor experience but the management who seem to give them very little direction, if any.

We arrived at 5pm and expected our room to be immediately available considering the late check in time. But we had to wait 45 minutes until the room was set up. We then ordered a couple of drinks and a sandwich and chips as we waited as we were hungry. It took 1 hour- yes, 1 hour- to prepare. The chips were cold..what a surprise.

The room was well appointed and had a beautiful view; the hotel itself is gorgeous and modern and quiet. The only plus.

I decided to have a shower and ran the water for 15 minutes but no hot water was forthcoming. When I later advised the manger he seemed sorry but had no other feedback. This is significant as Nuwera Eliya can get quite cool.

At breakfast the next morning we waited half an hour for tea and coffee. We had to ask the staff several times for it. It finally arrived after we ate our breakfast. I also observed other guests asking for breakfast items which were late or absent.

We checked out at about 10am and returned to the hotel several hours later to collect some laundry. The breakfast dishes were still uncleared from the dining room directly next to the reception area. Not a great look. (P.S. I had to ask the laundry to be washed twice as the first time it was done the clothes were not washed properly).

It is a shame this lovely hotel is so poorly serviced and run; it is comfortable and tasteful. At least if Basil Fawlty and Manuel were running the place it would have been amusing; however, our experience was anything but entertaining.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
UHTC, Owner at The Highlands by Unique Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

UHTC, Owner at The Highlands by Unique Hotels, responded to this review, Jan 8, 2018

Quote: