All reviews full hookups camp store general store concrete pads fire ring tent camping lake powell change machine paved sites pay showers site number sewer connection clean restrooms convenience store large sites great facilities clean sites
Reviewed 12 April 2018

To clarify, this is only my 2nd time ever tent camping. I live in Phoenix so it was a scenic but loooonnnnggggg 4.5 hour drive up to this place. I'm not a "road trip" person so I had to stop a few times.

This was a spontaneous decision made the day before we were to leave (Thursday, Apr 5, 2018) and I was able to reserve a tent site for Friday and Saturday. Checkout is at 11am.

Since we got there after the Campground store closed (hours are 7am to 7pm), you have to go up to the door to look for your lot assignment and follow the map posted on the door to find your spot. Good luck with that at night. There are no street lamps and it is pitch dark (rightfully so...the stars are in abundance). There are different Loops - some for RVs and others for tent campers.

We finally found Loop 1 and had to set up the tent using the car headlights. So my #1 tip is that you come in before nightfall. You're life will go so much easier and you won't be blinding your tenting neighbors.

Each tent site comes with a nicely-spaced out site, with generous space between you and your neighbor. There is a well-defined area for your tent, poles to tie things to, a tree or two for a hammock, I think, a fire pit (so bring your firewood - campground store sells it if you forget) and a picnic table. Oh and I can't forget, stunning views of the lake and mountain backdrop. So beautiful.

Yes, it cost $30/night during this timeframe but I thought it was worth it. There are bathrooms in each loop and I never had to wait in a line. Women will tell you that this is not typical of ladies' bathrooms...like anywhere. They were very clean. Showers as of this writing are $2.00 (8 quarters) for 15 minutes. That is more than sufficient for one person. There is a change machine in the laundry room next door. The showers and laundry are connected to the Campground store. Again, no shower lines even though there were many campers on Friday night.

The 2nd night it rained and we had winds of over 40mph which is apparently typical in Page. That kind of sucked for tent campers like me who didn't know what to expect but it calmed down around 11:30pm. And we had lighter winds and a slight rainfall throughout the rest of the evening. Which was awesome! Also, you get to park your car near your site. I couldn't have asked for a better experience then this.

There is an additional fee of $25 to get into the Glen Canyon National Park which is good for 7 days. So yeah, this trip adds up but it would have cost us way more to stay in a hotel. And we had a great experience in nature. Plus, who wants to clean up bathrooms and waste after others? I think all said, it was a small price to pay to have clean facilities, and well-organized and clean campsites. But remember, this is only camping trip #2 for me, so I have nothing to compare prices and full experience to.

Night # 2, some noisy millienials joined the loop. There is no one to regulate the campers in terms of security so that will have to be YOU. It was late, but they were having fun. And I think that I wouldn't have heard them if I could have slept well, but I'm still learning to get comfortable sleeping in such a vulnerable situation.

Some other things I want to mention. I am an African American female and I got a really negative vibe from a few of the Native American women up here. Not all but some. Enough to notice. Not sure what that was about. You may be thinking that I may have been getting back what I put out but I assure you that I am a friendly and intuitive student of Buddhism. And I then noticed how these particular individuals interacted differently with my Caucasian boyfriend and others more positively. Which I find weird (cause like history and all) but o.k. I'm a pretty positive, people person and I don't let that stuff ruin my day, since it is their problem, not mine. Just wanted to mention that in case you are sensitive to such things. To that I would say, never let other people ruin your day. Have compassion. You never know what others have experienced to form their current behaviors. It has nothing to do with you personally and everything to do with them. Just pray that they find the way. "When others go low, you go high", as my favorite FLOTUS once said!

Moving on...there is a hotel within the park limits that has great lake views, as well, if you're not the camping type but then I guess you wouldn't be reading this review. But let's say the wind and rain ruined your tent, you have nearby options. We didn't eat at the restaurants at the resort so I can't speak to that. There are tons of boats and water toys on the marina. Because this trip was spontaneous, i didn't really get to research all the hikes, but it would appear that you need to get Navajo permission for Rainbow Bridge unless you are on a paid tour. So we opted for the free Horseshoe Bend trail nearby. You are free to navigate the beautiful red rocks and try not to fall off the cliffs because there are no barriers and a long fall. Totally worth it for the views!

Outside of the Glen Canyon National park, go visit the Glen Canyon Dam at the Carl Hayden Visitor Center just around the corner. Nice educational and attractive views. And finally, within a few short miles, there is a Denny's or McDonald's for breakfast,a gas station or two and a Wal-Mart for all of your needs.

As far as wildlife, we say bunnies and humoungous Ravens. I hear they are extremely smart birds.

We didn't explore the entire Glen Canyon park but there is a beach and plenty to see within the confines of the park. And how cool that in one section of the park, you are in Utah and another in Arizona.

There were a ton of foreign tourists at the Horseshoe Bend. I'm guessing since it's not too far from Grand Canyon that this is another popular tourist spot. ( I know I'm all over the place here. Just writing as I think of things).

There were couples, singles and families at the campsite. GPS and Google maps took us there with no issues.

The Campground store has everything you need but I'd hit Wal-mart for things you forgot on the way in, if you could. A tiny 3 oz bottle of contact solution cost me $7.00. There is complimentary coffee there in the a.m. and it was pretty good coffee. And any Lake Powell souvenirs or other convenience store items you may need are also available there. You really want for nothing.

I highly recommend you stay here. I don't think you will have any regrets.

Room Tip: We had Loop 16. I would request Loop 13 next time because there are no others in front of you.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TNTNAZ
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Clean newer bathrooms, very expensive to camp here, not worth it, Boondocking very near for free, $2.00 showers, $30.00 for a tent site, are you kidding??? $52.00 for water and electricity, ridiculous

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2018

This is a great RV Park. The location is superb. The space between sites is very generous. Interior roads are very easy to navigate for big rigs. Very quiet at night. This place is designed right. Site was big enough for our 40 foot 5th wheel. The views of Lake Powell were awesome! The campground is maintained very well. Wifi is almost useless and there is no cable. Due to the location there are no TV channels with antennas. My only reason for not giving it six stars was the staff in the camp store/ registration. We have been to many campgrounds and the staff in the camp store were some of the worst we have ever dealt with. They do not greet you or smile. If you ask a question you will get an answer that is probably incorrect. They do not try to help or explain anything.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2018

Absolutely love this park. Close to everything you’re wanting to see in the area (Antelope Canyons, Horseshoe Bend, etc.), with a stunning view to return home to daily.

Highly recommend this park! We’re planning on a return visit next year.

Stayed: March 2018
Reviewed 27 March 2018

What a beautiful setting for a campground. The mountains at sunset, the lake, adequate room between sites, and many more positives made for a very nice stay. Even the bathrooms were close by and clean.

Stayed: March 2018