“A taste in history”
Review of City Tavern

City Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
City Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 4,693 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$8 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City Centre East
Cross street: 2 nd & Walnut Streets
Transit: The Market-Frankford "El" has a stop at 2nd and Market Streets as well as the 21 & 42 bus lines drops at our door
Description: Once called "the most genteel tavern in America" by John Adams and the first unofficial "White House," Chef Walter Staib's City Tavern has boasted the finest celebrations since 1773. With over 230 years of hospitality, City Tavern has been the centerpiece of affairs now immortalized in history. An evening at City Tavern is certain to be remembered. Just imagine sampling specialties, such as pepperpot soup, colonial turkey pot pie, roast duckling, Thomas Jefferson's sweet potato biscuits paired with ales the ales of the revolution made from George Washington & Benjamin Franklin's recipes -- all served by costumed wait staff. Watch an episode of A Taste of History on PBS, our Chef Proprietor Walter Staib will give you glimpse of what we do here at City Tavern.
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Alyssa served one hell of a meal. I could taste a whole history in the food. Would definitely come here again.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,816)

Reviewed 2 May 2018

As a special treat to my children on our trip to Philly, I took them to City Tavern. The food was comforting and the atmosphere was a step back into the 1700's. But what really made our visit was our waitress Alyssa. She cared for us so well. As a single mom, there is something special about someone, without even knowing it, who makes the day a little sweeter by taking care of my family and myself. She shared the story of the restaurant as well which made history come alive. The lunch was the most expensive lunch I've ever paid for but I have no regrets.

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

My husband and I had a wonderful time at City Tavern. Such rich history. We definitely recommend this on your site seeing list. Thanks so much for your time Heather...

1  Thank Andrea C
Reviewed 1 May 2018

My friends and I had a wonderful time at City Tavern! We were visiting Philadelphia over the weekend & decided to save this spot as our farewell meal, which turned out to be an excellent decision - no better way to cap off a great visit. The food is delicious and reasonably priced given the quality you're getting. Our server Greg was extremely attentive, friendly, and helpful in his recommendations - he really made the experience for our party. Would definitely recommend this spot to anyone visiting Philadelphia - great experience overall, and ask for Greg if you can!

Reviewed 1 May 2018

Wouldn't change a thing!! the staff, dressed in period costumes, were very friendly and knowledgeable. The food was superb (the beef tenderloins!!), even the bread basket was authentic. The atmosphere recalled the era without being forced.
As we left, the hostess in costume,insisted on hailing a cab for us. Our driver asked ."who WAS that? " He said that she appeared in the street in front of his cab "like an angel who had suddenly appeared.