Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Sarah F
Dallas, Texas

More trips than I can count to New York, first time at the Carlyle

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 8 Jun 2024
The person at the Carlyle that most heavily contributed to the reason our stay was excellent was Anton, the front desk manager. I had booked a one bedroom suite and, the week before the trip, I started regretting not getting 2 bedrooms/ 2 bathrooms for me, my son and my husband. I submitted an inquiry regarding the availability of 2 bedroom suites & Anton called me that evening at home at 9pm which was 10pm his time! While we were on the phone he set me up with something that would make us more comfortable & immediately eased my mind. Then we arrived and the room was SPECTACULAR (far greater than I had anticipated)! Anton showed us to the room himself. The second most important thing to mention is the concierge team. I planned this trip more last minute than I usually plan trips so leaned on them quite a bit for advice & reservations. Everything they suggested was great. Also have to mention the housekeeping team. They came exactly when I asked each day & did a perfect job every time. The doormen and elevator attendants were also consistently providing excellent service. The location is great on the upper east side just a block or two from central park. The hotel bar is good for one visit (is a very famous bar with live entertainment). We spent $700 on drinks and appetizers. Also have to mention Stephanie (sp?) who was very helpful at the front desk when we ended up having to extend our stay at the last minute by one night. I noticed some of the other guests being very grumpy with the front desk staff & they handled those people with grace. They were obviously so happy to make our extended stay a pleasant one.
Date of stay: May 2024
    $308
    $363
2.6 km from The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
View more hotels in New York City
All reviews bemelmans bar rosewood suite house car spa gym living room and bedroom room service every interaction upper east side our home away from home historic hotel our entire stay little things new york fantastic stay the entire staff enjoyed my stay amazing hotel
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 May 2024

The hotel is a stunner. It is a classic hotel in a quiet neighborhood. It is glamorous; however, the hotel is sadly not taken care of. We were provided with an upgrade upon check-in through Fine hotels and resorts and we were delighted with the upgrade. The room was spacious and beautiful; however, housekeeping fell short. Turndown service was provided though no water was refilled, coffee not replenished, areas were not refreshed, towels not replenished, attention to detail was lacking throughout the housekeeping services. Things were not tidy, and the cleaning seemed rushed. The peaches provided as a welcome amenity were inedible . A little more attention to housekeeping would have been appreciated, especially for the price. It is not on par with other 5 star, esp. Rosewood properties. The beauty of the Carlyle is its age and one must be able to appreciate its beauty and charm. I was looking forward to staying here but it fell a bit short.

Date of stay: May 2024
Reviewed 1 April 2024

I'm always biased to stay at Rosewood properties when there is one in the city I'm visiting. I've stayed in 4 other locations and everything has been impeccable and will continue to do so, but sadly, never at The Carlyle property again.

Freddie, at the front desk, made us feel like we were not welcome. We arrived from a red-eye flight and our room was not ready at 7 am, which we COMPLETELY understand, I was not expecting it to be, but when I asked if it was possible to get a room to refresh or the room a little earlier, she said: Well, you should've booked the night before, the "cheaper" rooms are not available, I can't do anything for you until 3 PM.

We went to have breakfast, walked around the city, came back at 1 PM, and as soon as she saw me walking to the front desk, shouted to her boss: It's not ready, it's not ready. Mustafa, her boss, was extremely attentive and told us he'll have our room ready soon. Came back at 1:45, she saw us come in, went out of the front desk to the entrance of the hotel to tell us our room wasn't ready with the worst attitude I've ever received in a property, let alone a $1000 plus a night one. We ignored her, asked for Mustafa, which informed us our room was READY!! She wanted us to leave again before he came back to tell us it was ready. UNBELIEVABLE and UNACCEPTABLE. The history of this hotel deserves better than this.

Everyone else: Mustafa, Ernesto, Anton and many others, were extremely attentive, apologetic for their co-worker and amazing humans. Room was extremely well clean, bed was amazing and has a shower you never want to get out of.

Unfortunately, with so many other great options in New York, I will not be staying at The Carlyle again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
The Carlyle A Rosewood Hotel, Marketing at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2024

Dear Mr. Linares,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your honest review. We are genuinely sorry to hear about your disappointing experience at The Carlyle property. Your feedback regarding the behavior of our staff member, Freddie, is deeply concerning and not reflective of the level of service we strive to provide. Please know that we take your comments seriously and will address this matter internally to ensure such incidents are not repeated in the future.

We are glad to hear that Mustafa and other team members were able to provide attentive and apologetic service during your stay. Your kind words about the cleanliness of the room and the comfort of the amenities are appreciated, but we understand that exceptional service is crucial to your overall experience.

We value your loyalty to Rosewood properties and regret that we fell short of meeting your expectations on this occasion. Your feedback is invaluable to us as we continually strive to improve our guest experience. Should you reconsider staying with us in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out directly via our Quality Manager, Kasheena Roberts (kasheena.roberts@rosewoodhotels.com) , and we will ensure your next stay exceeds your expectations.

Reviewed 30 March 2024 via mobile

Beautiful renovation of guest rooms, but still lacking in fitness space. Don’t usually focus on the gym at a luxury hotel because they are usually very good to excellent. The Carlyle’s is woeful and is exactly as it was 8-9 years ago when I noticed it was aging poorly. Having heard that the hotel is attracting younger patrons I assumed the workout facility would have been improved. To the contrary, same equipment (save for one new stationary bike) and one bike that’s been removed. You may not choose a NYC hotel based on the gym but since working out while away from home is essential for many people, Carlyle had better step up its game. Diagonally across the street is the Mark Hotel, another Amex FHR and five-star property. Their amenities rival the Carlyle and have a La Palestra-like workout facility. Sad thing is, Carlyle could have the same for very little investment in the same space. Just have an expert come in and fit it out properly. This is just my two cents as a fan of the classic charm of the Carlyle. But overlooking a key amenity in 2024 is a sure way to avoid repeat customers between 25-40+.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear DrewfromNY,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay at The Carlyle. We're pleased to hear that you appreciated the beautiful renovation of our guest rooms. However, we regret any disappointment you experienced with our fitness facility.

Your feedback regarding the gym is invaluable, and we understand the importance of providing modern and well-equipped spaces for our guests to maintain their fitness routines. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by our current equipment and lack of variety.

Rest assured, your comments have been shared with our management team for further consideration. We are committed to continuously improving our amenities to better meet the needs and expectations of our valued guests.

We appreciate your loyalty and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for a more satisfying experience in the future.

Reviewed 7 March 2024

My husband and I are staying at the Carlyle, we chose it over some of the other hotels we frequent when we are in New York because of its history and reputation. The staff in general have been excellent; friendly, welcoming, and helpful. The rooms are comfortable, especially the beds. We had one overlooking Madison Avenue and the decor was lovely, although the blinds in our room were stained on the sides and one had come out of its track.

That said, when we checked in we were informed the gym was under construction and given the option to use the Equinox which is a 15 minute walk away. Having used it twice (and done the walk in the pouring rain) when my husband mentioned to the front desk staff his disappointment in the situation the response was 'Well we don't charge for the gym here, it's free.' Nothing about this place is free. There isn't a separate charge for the lights either, all of these things are included in the price and it's one of the most expensive in Manhattan.

I booked a massage appointment, and the therapist Linda was very good. But again, that was under construction so they've set up makeshift therapy rooms in some of the hotel's suites. To get from the 'reception' to the therapy room, you have to walk through jackhammering. Not exactly the most of relaxing experiences. And the treatments are limited to massages and facials, the showers are out of use and there aren't even any slippers.

The hair salon staff I had were all very good, particularly Theresa, and I am pleased with the results. My appointment was at the end of the day, though, and it was clear the manager wanted everyone to finish up.

We are here for a relaxing break and would not have booked this hotel if we had known about the construction. There is nothing on the website telling people about the state of the amenities and the hotel is not offering guests any discounts on their stay or the spa treatments - it's still full Carlyle-level pricing.

I ordered room serivce one night. I had to be put on hold and then wait for them to ring me back. The order took 45 minutes which isn't out of the ordinary for a big hotel, but I would describe the food as average. We went to the bar for the first time tonight and it has a nice vibe with live piano. The service at the restaurant was impeccable, I had to send my mocktail back because the mint was so wilted but it was returned fresh and was delicious, as was the food.

We often stay at the Rosewood in Lonon, but overall this one has been a disappointment. Not sure I'd be rushing back.

1  Thank rykerg1973
Reviewed 4 March 2024 via mobile

Booked on short notice because I’m just in town for two days for a memorial for a friend whose family home in the neighborhood. I had a three star experience which I guess puts me in the middle of the fairly agitated one stars and the very pleased five star reviews.

The staff that I encountered ranged all the way from indifferent to very very nice, with the gentleman (bellman) by the elevators very helpful. The answer to every request I made on check-in was “no,” which I certainly can understand when it’s the high season and not the end of February. The hotel certainly did not seem crowded, but who knows. Not a huge deal.

At check in I had expected to get a bit of a complementary upgrade per what I’ve been told by AMEX black card but none more available and it was also impossible to move me to a higher floor as well.

I was given two small cards on check-in codes and no explanation. I’m glad I didn’t throw them away. A bellman explained to me they are for guests to use in cutting the line at Bebelman’s bar. I’m glad I was told. That’s useful to know because the line can be more than an hour I’m told. Although I was also not told by the Carlisle that certain AMEX card holders get a $90 a day credit for breakfast or otherwise, AMEX card holders do get that benefit. i subsequently called the front desk and was told that this applies. I’m not sure why they didn’t mention it, as it is a nice benefit.

Given that with taxes even the most basic room is going to run over $1000 a night the Carlisle would not be my first choice next time since you can get meh service and similar accommodations in the lower rated $850 rooms for much less elsewhere. If traveling on business or for another memorial program, I probably would stay elsewhere. if I was willing to splurge and there wasn’t a great hotel available for my wife and family then that’s another matter. I’d probably go for the St Regis where the service is always remarkable, but stay here if I couldn’t find availability. Based on the other TA reviews (some referred to stealing and are very inflammatory and others refer to excellent stay in the large suites), I would say that if you spend $2500 a night or so on a suite the accommodation would be very nice. In the interest of being balanced it’s also fair to point out that there is free Wi-Fi.

Room tip: Be sure to ask about card benefits (eg AMEX) because they may not otherwise tell you.
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Dane94306
The Carlyle A Rosewood Hotel, Marketing at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2024

Dear Dane94306,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback. We appreciate your honest assessment and apologize for any aspects that fell short of your expectations. We're pleased to hear that you found some staff members, particularly the bellman by the elevators, to be very helpful.

We regret any inconvenience you experienced during check-in and understand the importance of clear communication about amenities and benefits. Your comments about the complementary upgrade, higher floor availability, and breakfast credit for AMEX cardholders are duly noted, and we'll address these areas for improvement.

We value your insights and hope to have the opportunity to enhance your experience should your travels bring you back to our hotel. If you have further comments or concerns, please feel free to reach out directly via our Quality Manager, Kasheena Roberts: kasheena.roberts@rosewoodhotels.com.