Lowest prices for your stay
$2,290
Fully refundable before Sat, 8 Jun
ZenHotels.com
$1,862
DrewFromNY
New York

Beautiful hotel still neglecting a key feature for many—the fitness center.

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 29 Mar 2024via mobile
Beautiful renovation of guest rooms, but still lacking in fitness space. Don’t usually focus on the gym at a luxury hotel because they are usually very good to excellent. The Carlyle’s is woeful and is exactly as it was 8-9 years ago when I noticed it was aging poorly. Having heard that the hotel is attracting younger patrons I assumed the workout facility would have been improved. To the contrary, same equipment (save for one new stationary bike) and one bike that’s been removed. You may not choose a NYC hotel based on the gym but since working out while away from home is essential for many people, Carlyle had better step up its game. Diagonally across the street is the Mark Hotel, another Amex FHR and five-star property. Their amenities rival the Carlyle and have a La Palestra-like workout facility. Sad thing is, Carlyle could have the same for very little investment in the same space. Just have an expert come in and fit it out properly. This is just my two cents as a fan of the classic charm of the Carlyle. But overlooking a key amenity in 2024 is a sure way to avoid repeat customers between 25-40+.
Trip type: Travelled with family
Responded 3 Apr 2024
Dear DrewfromNY,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay at The Carlyle. We're pleased to hear that you appreciated the beautiful renovation of our guest rooms. However, we regret any disappointment you experienced with our fitness facility.

Your feedback regarding the gym is invaluable, and we understand the importance of providing modern and well-equipped spaces for our guests to maintain their fitness routines. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by our current equipment and lack of variety.

Rest assured, your comments have been shared with our management team for further consideration. We are committed to continuously improving our amenities to better meet the needs and expectations of our valued guests.

We appreciate your loyalty and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for a more satisfying experience in the future.

$429
    $281
    $361
2.5 km from The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Restaurant
Arlo SoHo Lobby and public space.
$508
    $572
1.8 km from The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Room service
View more hotels in New York City
All reviews bemelmans bar rosewood suite house car spa gym living room and bedroom room service every interaction upper east side our home away from home historic hotel our entire stay little things new york fantastic stay the entire staff enjoyed my stay amazing hotel
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 March 2024

My husband and I are staying at the Carlyle, we chose it over some of the other hotels we frequent when we are in New York because of its history and reputation. The staff in general have been excellent; friendly, welcoming, and helpful. The rooms are comfortable, especially the beds. We had one overlooking Madison Avenue and the decor was lovely, although the blinds in our room were stained on the sides and one had come out of its track.

That said, when we checked in we were informed the gym was under construction and given the option to use the Equinox which is a 15 minute walk away. Having used it twice (and done the walk in the pouring rain) when my husband mentioned to the front desk staff his disappointment in the situation the response was 'Well we don't charge for the gym here, it's free.' Nothing about this place is free. There isn't a separate charge for the lights either, all of these things are included in the price and it's one of the most expensive in Manhattan.

I booked a massage appointment, and the therapist Linda was very good. But again, that was under construction so they've set up makeshift therapy rooms in some of the hotel's suites. To get from the 'reception' to the therapy room, you have to walk through jackhammering. Not exactly the most of relaxing experiences. And the treatments are limited to massages and facials, the showers are out of use and there aren't even any slippers.

The hair salon staff I had were all very good, particularly Theresa, and I am pleased with the results. My appointment was at the end of the day, though, and it was clear the manager wanted everyone to finish up.

We are here for a relaxing break and would not have booked this hotel if we had known about the construction. There is nothing on the website telling people about the state of the amenities and the hotel is not offering guests any discounts on their stay or the spa treatments - it's still full Carlyle-level pricing.

I ordered room serivce one night. I had to be put on hold and then wait for them to ring me back. The order took 45 minutes which isn't out of the ordinary for a big hotel, but I would describe the food as average. We went to the bar for the first time tonight and it has a nice vibe with live piano. The service at the restaurant was impeccable, I had to send my mocktail back because the mint was so wilted but it was returned fresh and was delicious, as was the food.

We often stay at the Rosewood in Lonon, but overall this one has been a disappointment. Not sure I'd be rushing back.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank rykerg1973
Reviewed 4 March 2024 via mobile

Booked on short notice because I’m just in town for two days for a memorial for a friend whose family home in the neighborhood. I had a three star experience which I guess puts me in the middle of the fairly agitated one stars and the very pleased five star reviews.

The staff that I encountered ranged all the way from indifferent to very very nice, with the gentleman (bellman) by the elevators very helpful. The answer to every request I made on check-in was “no,” which I certainly can understand when it’s the high season and not the end of February. The hotel certainly did not seem crowded, but who knows. Not a huge deal.

At check in I had expected to get a bit of a complementary upgrade per what I’ve been told by AMEX black card but none more available and it was also impossible to move me to a higher floor as well.

I was given two small cards on check-in codes and no explanation. I’m glad I didn’t throw them away. A bellman explained to me they are for guests to use in cutting the line at Bebelman’s bar. I’m glad I was told. That’s useful to know because the line can be more than an hour I’m told. Although I was also not told by the Carlisle that certain AMEX card holders get a $90 a day credit for breakfast or otherwise, AMEX card holders do get that benefit. i subsequently called the front desk and was told that this applies. I’m not sure why they didn’t mention it, as it is a nice benefit.

Given that with taxes even the most basic room is going to run over $1000 a night the Carlisle would not be my first choice next time since you can get meh service and similar accommodations in the lower rated $850 rooms for much less elsewhere. If traveling on business or for another memorial program, I probably would stay elsewhere. if I was willing to splurge and there wasn’t a great hotel available for my wife and family then that’s another matter. I’d probably go for the St Regis where the service is always remarkable, but stay here if I couldn’t find availability. Based on the other TA reviews (some referred to stealing and are very inflammatory and others refer to excellent stay in the large suites), I would say that if you spend $2500 a night or so on a suite the accommodation would be very nice. In the interest of being balanced it’s also fair to point out that there is free Wi-Fi.

Room tip: Be sure to ask about card benefits (eg AMEX) because they may not otherwise tell you.
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Dane94306
The Carlyle A Rosewood Hotel, Marketing at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2024

Dear Dane94306,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback. We appreciate your honest assessment and apologize for any aspects that fell short of your expectations. We're pleased to hear that you found some staff members, particularly the bellman by the elevators, to be very helpful.

We regret any inconvenience you experienced during check-in and understand the importance of clear communication about amenities and benefits. Your comments about the complementary upgrade, higher floor availability, and breakfast credit for AMEX cardholders are duly noted, and we'll address these areas for improvement.

We value your insights and hope to have the opportunity to enhance your experience should your travels bring you back to our hotel. If you have further comments or concerns, please feel free to reach out directly via our Quality Manager, Kasheena Roberts: kasheena.roberts@rosewoodhotels.com.

Reviewed 13 February 2024

My wife and I wanted a weekend get away to recharge, reconnect, and relax. We arrived Friday night around 7:30. We liked the hotel's location in the Upper East Side, tucked away in a quiet part of town close to Central Park. The vibe is classy while not being stuffy at all.

According to the website, the Isaac Mizrahi show that night in the Carlyle Cafe was sold out. When I casually mentioned that to Eddie, who was bringing our bags up to our room, he immediately introduced me to the Carlyle Cafe's impeccably attired and super-friendly GM, Gogo, who graciously promised us he would 100% make room for my wife and I. We scampered to our room (which was great and has a captivating book about the hotel with a forward in it from Lenny Kravitz that is sheer brilliance), showered, changed into dressy attire, and an hour later we were enjoying Isaac Mizrahi and wine in the Cafe. What a funny, entertaining show, and fantastic start to our weekend!

The next evening we used our complimentary passes to skip the line (which was out the door) and enjoy Bemelmans Bar where we were warmly greeted by staff and treated with next level kindness and care. Julian was especially friendly and cool. When we checked out the following morning we felt recharged, reconnected, and relaxed from our stay. The Carlyle hotel delivers an experience that was objectively perfect in every possible way. That is really, really rare.

One final note: everything in The Carlyle is very expensive. So if you are the type of person who compulsively analyzes whether each drink, meal, can of nuts in your hotel room, etc. is really worth what is being charged for them, do not come to The Carlyle. You will not have a good time. In fact, you may lose your mind.

Rather, to truly enjoy The Carlyle you must focus purely on the overall experience. Interestingly, if you do that, when you look back, you will find that while any particular drink, meal, item, etc. may be overpriced when analyzed in isolation, when you analyze the entire experience The Carlyle delivers as a whole, it actually delivers tremendous value for the price.

Date of stay: February 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank markjo2013
The Carlyle A Rosewood Hotel, Marketing at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2024

Dear MarkJO2013,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed and positive review of your weekend getaway at The Carlyle. We are thrilled to hear that your experience was so enjoyable and that we could contribute to recharging, reconnecting, and relaxing for you and your wife.

It's wonderful to know that our team, including Eddie and Gogo, went above and beyond to ensure you could attend the Isaac Mizrahi show, adding an unexpected highlight to your stay. We're also pleased that your evening at Bemelmans Bar, with the warm greeting and exceptional kindness from staff like Julian, added to the overall positive experience.

Your insights about focusing on the overall experience rather than individual expenses are well taken, and we're delighted that you found the overall experience at The Carlyle to be objectively perfect. We truly appreciate your kind words and hope to welcome you back for more memorable moments in the future.

Reviewed 13 February 2024 via mobile

I felt like I died and went to heaven when I first stepped into our signature Rosewood suite at the iconic Carlyle hotel . My jaw dropped to the floor when I caught sight of the totally unobstructed views of magical Manhattan surrounding us in the most dramatic way . I wanted to hug Diana from the Guest Experience team and who gifted us this most fabulous treat - one I will take with me to the grave . So thank you again Diana and team for giving us the opportunity of a lifetime to have the most coveted view of the Big Apple and the best city view we’ve ever had in any city we have traveled to . I loved the design of the room with windows wrapping around the entire space so you get a heavy dose of that insatiable view with every step you take in the impeccably decorated room . Even the bathroom had views overlooking the entire city . As if the stunning marble vanities and marble shower stalls weren’t enough eye candy . The wall paper with artist drawings of typical New York scenes really added a fun and whimsical yet elegant touch to the room .

Everything about this property was pure and utter delight. The hotel bar offered the best old fashioned cocktails I’d ever had and our dinner at Dowlings did not disappoint either . Everything we ordered was tantalisingly delicious ! And the service is quite unique in that every staff - whether the lovely hostess who seated us at the best table facing this gorgeous fireplace , or the waiter Mirim who prepared our steak Diane to perfection right at our table - all treated us with the utmost of warmth and affection . It felt like we’d known everyone for years , they made us feel like family . You’d expect a slightly pretentious attitude from the staff of such a high end luxury hotel but the staff were all down to earth and seemed to sincerely care about their guests and their comfort throughout their stays . Even our dog was pampered with the highest level of attention being given a plush monogrammed day bed , and stunning porcelain doggie bowls for food and water all nicely laid out by a butler on a rubber mat also branded with the Carlyle’s signature coat of arms . I would only be so lucky to return here and will for sure book The Carlyle as my absolute top and only choice amongst the plethora of New York City luxury hôtels . I cant wait to celebrate my next milestone occasion here. I hope to be welcomed again by Stephanie and Diana at the front desk who kicked off our stay on the most positive note thanks to their warm smiles and infectious personalities ❤️ They really know how to make guests feel special and really seem to enjoy their jobs giving it their all .

Date of stay: February 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Fadi081577,

Your words fill us with immense joy, and we are truly touched by your heartfelt feedback. We're thrilled to hear that your experience at The Carlyle, especially in the Rosewood suite, was like stepping into heaven. It warms our hearts to know that the unobstructed views of Manhattan, the impeccably decorated room, and the thoughtful touches, such as the monogrammed day bed for your dog, added to your delight.

We appreciate your glowing comments about our bar, Dowlings, and the exceptional service provided by our staff, including Diana and Stephanie at the front desk. It's wonderful to hear that you felt like family and that the warmth and affection shown by our team made your stay special.

We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back to The Carlyle to celebrate your next milestone occasion. Until then, sending warm regards and appreciation for choosing us as your top and only choice among New York City luxury hotels.

Reviewed 3 February 2024

The Carlyle, a 35-story Beaux Arts beauty, is the center of NYC elegance situated on the corner of Madison Ave & 76th Street. The interior lobby area is dazzling, alike visiting a contemporary art gallery. My Premier room was beautiful with a handsome desk bookended between floor-to-ceiling spoked windows that afforded city views overlooking Madison Avenue. There were elegant coffee tables, abstract artworks, chic armchairs and all manner of bespoke furnishings. The bath was lavishly appointed and incredibly spacious with a rain shower, soaking tub and underfloor heating. Dowlings, the hotel's enticing flagship restaurant serves up a classic menu like: Tuna Tartare, Wild Burgundy Escargot, Steak Diane and more......I enjoyed the delicious Maryland Crabcakes. Cafe Carlyle is a legendary jazz restaurant known for headlining incredible talent and taps into the menu of Dowlings. Bemelmans Bar is an iconic captivating bar with playful murals, an extensive drink menu and groovy jazz entertainment. The Gallery is an exquisite private retreat perfect for afternoon tea and house-made pates. The luxurious Valmont Spa pairs up with a fitness center to provide a wellness facility for hotel guests and as well, the hotel houses spectacular space for meetings, weddings and event.
So, if you are looking for a luxury NYC hotel that offers remarkable charm, privacy and brilliant service,...........then try the ..............Carlyle...........in a class of it's own.

Date of stay: January 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
The Carlyle A Rosewood Hotel, Marketing at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2024

Dear Ms. Wiley,

Thank you for sharing such a detailed and glowing review of your experience at The Carlyle. We are thrilled to read your enthusiastic description of our Beaux Arts beauty, and it brings us joy to know that you found the interior lobby dazzling and comparable to a contemporary art gallery. We are delighted that your Premier room provided a beautiful and comfortable retreat, offering stunning views of Madison Avenue.

It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the culinary offerings at Dowling's, with a special mention of the delicious Maryland Crabcakes. We're glad you had the chance to experience the legendary jazz at Cafe Carlyle and the iconic ambiance of Bemelmans Bar with its captivating murals and stylish jazz entertainment. Your mention of The Gallery as an exquisite private retreat for afternoon tea and house-made pates is greatly appreciated.

We're pleased that our Valmont Spa, fitness center, and versatile event spaces contributed to a well-rounded and enjoyable stay. Your recommendation of The Carlyle as a luxury NYC hotel with remarkable charm, privacy, and brilliant service means the world to us. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back for another exceptional experience in the future.