“Hidden gems you will never find no matter how much Yelp research you do!”

Lower East Side Food Tour
Ranked #29 of 108 Food & Drink in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Six delectable food tastings- On this guided food tour of the Lower East Side, we'll visit 6 uniquely different mom-and-pop shops, ethnic eateries and restaurants. Experience a number of tastes unique to this historical neighborhood in Manhattan, including famous authentic delis, bakeries, traditional appetizing store, and more!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 3 May 2018

Starting out in city hall park, our guides found us quickly and we set off with Astrid. She gave us a bunch of info on all the downtown government buildings, and pointed out where different shows film, such as where they always show the lawyers in Law and Order coming out to the press. Next we made our way to Chinatown, and had som amazing dumplings at a shop that could hold maybe 8 people at a time. The most amazing part of these dumplings was that the price was 5 giant ones for $1.25! Of course this was included with the tour but make sure you look at the menu board. Next we made our way to Little Italy and stopped at the oldest cheese shop in America. It should be mentioned that it was raining off and on (more on than not) the entire tour. Astrid did her best to stop under overhangs so we could put the umbrellas down for a bit. Next, we went and had traditional Jewish knishes. I loved this because I had heard about these before, but don't think I would have ever tried them on my on. Delicious, and in an authentic knishe shop. We ended our tour at a German beer garden, and Astrid was very good about giving everyone directions for what they wanted to do, whether it was walk the Brooklyn Bridge, go back to Little Italy, or like us, just catch a cab to head to the hotel for some rest.

All reviews
"overview"
"commentary"
"info"

Reviewed 30 April 2018

Olivia did a fantastic job leading our small group through a winding tour of the Lower East Side. We had delicious food throughout, including stroop waffles from the Dutch tradition, warm and delicious fried dumplings in Chinatown and rugelach from a fourth generation bakery.

Reviewed 26 April 2018

Our tour guide Elena quickly learned the names of our small group and by the time we reached our final stop we had bonded so well I had to drag myself away!!
The tour takes you to hidden foodie haunts I would not have found myself and anyway being on my own in a big city this seemed a much better way to find them than standing on a streetcorner with a guidebook! Despite being a relatively new guide, Elena knew her stuff and looked after the needs of the group so we really got value for money.

Reviewed 8 February 2018

Despite the very cold weather (this was January) our tour guide Astrid made sure we had a great experience. An excellent way to see the lower east side and learn about its history as well as food culture. Astrid also passed on some helpful tips about where to eat and drink elsewhere in NY.

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 December 2017

We are New Yorkers who always do something touristy in NYC for our children's birthdays. As our children are 17 and 12 now, we have already checked off the obvious activities and are on to advanced NYC tourism. For our daughter's 17th birthday we knew we wanted to end up on the Lower East Side to have lunch at Katz's deli, so we decided to book the LES food tour in advance of our planned lunch. The tour was enjoyed by the entire family. My son is a foodie so once he knew eating would be involved along with walking he was in. Brian our tour guide was knowledgable, friendly and fun. While he clearly has done the tour many times, his enthusiasm for the subject matter clearly comes through. The tour is not just food, but you also learn a great deal about the history of the area, the various ethnic groups, the location of the infamous "Five Points" neighborhood and many other tidbits. As New Yorkers, including a couple who have studied the immigrant experience in NYC quite recently, we knew a fair amount about the subject matter but we also learned a few things. As for the food stops, they were diverse and for a couple were places that I did not even know about, like the hole in the wall dumpling shop in Chinatown and the authentic german brew pub at the end. Others, like the Yonah Schimmel knish bakery were places I had always wanted but somehow never had. It was rainy the day we did the tour so the little food stops were also great respites, and I am sure the same would be true when it is too hot, cold, etc. The food stops help the pacing but remember that in the end this is a neighborhood walking tour, and you definitely get a good overview of this must see NYC neighborhood. You can do this as an advanced NYC tour, or as part of your first visit if you love food and neighborhood walking tours. There were 10 people on our tour and Brian said the max is 12, so you do not have to worry about being in an unwieldy group, which was something I appreciated. I booked the tour based on the excellent reviews and I was not disappointed.