All reviews canal street around the corner great location new york road noise basic hotel light sleeper yellow cab a lot of noise small fridge stay there again city that never sleeps rooms are small comfortable bed good size a great stay earplugs
Reviewed 22 November 2015 via mobile

This place was perfectly situated for our trip and reasonably priced . The room we had was more than big enough and had what was needed . Staff where top notch and couldn't have been more helpful , especially Christophe the owner who was always happy to answer questions and recommend places for food/drinks and general sightseeing .
We will return ASAP
Nathalie & Derek

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2015 via mobile

Such a friendly staff, great room, and perfect location. Yellow subway line is right outside of the door. Will definitely be back in the future! Our room was always cleaned and tidied up by the time we got back with fresh towels a neatly made bed. Absolutely loved it!!

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2015

Perfect location, super friendly staff, clean rooms ... and great value for your money, definitely we made the right choice for our holiday!

I simply loved it! I have worked for hotels for the last 5 years and I have learnt how to read between the lines of all these online reviews and just take what it is important for my trip. This was a once in a lifetime holiday so our plans didn't include spending too much time in the hotel. I'm not flying all the way from England to NYC to spend the day inside. We just wanted a shower and a confy bed at the end of a long day out. But I wanted it to be in a good location, the bathroom to be private and the hotel to be reliable. And of course I didn't want to spend too much money on extra services and facilities I wasn't gonna use. If this is also your case, you should seriously consider City Rooms NYC-Soho!

The location couldn't be any better. The subway is literally next to the hotel (Canal St, served by trains 6, N, J, Z, R) and walking distance to two other stops (Canal St A,B,C and Canal St 1), so basically you can travel anywhere in the city whithin a few minutes and make the most of your time out. Even the airport (JFK) it's just an hour away as trains A and J connect you directly with the airtrain, so you don't have to worry about carrying your bags around the city.

There is a 7/11 across the road, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Burger King, 24h McDonalds, Subway, street food stands... even if it's not the healthiest option, you can count on it for an emergency meal (and you will need it due to the jet lag).
And it is located literally where Chinatown and Little Italy meet, so there is plenty of stuff to do in the nearby (St Gennaro festivity was going on duing our visit)

I have read some reviews complaining about the size of the rooms. Well, our was perfect for two people, the bathroom was quite small as we just had a walking shower, not a tub, but that wasn't a problem at all. Anyway, the pictures on booking.com are 100% realiable, so check them out and trust them! The only thing that might be a problem for some people is the noise from the street. Traffic won't stop at any time and drivers in NYC love beeping the horns! I'm used to it as I live in another big city, so for me it's just the usual lullaby, but I just loved the complimentary earplugs we found on arrival. I used it the first couple of nights but then I guess I was too tired from all the wandering around that I fell asleep the moment I closed my eyes. Same for the subway running underneath the building. I think I felt it a couple of times, but I have the same problem in my house so it does't really bother me (request a room on a high floor if available if you think this might be a problem for you)

As I said, it was the perfect choice for our holiday and I would choose it again if I ever come back to NYC!

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank BMMXI
Reviewed 27 September 2015

This is NYC so you should expect expensive hotel rooms without amenities. This hotel holds up well against its competitors. Our room had a king bed and small refrigerator which can be hard to find in this price range. The room was clean and comfortable, but fairly sparse. There were some bare shelves for clothes and a hanging bar, but no drawers/dressers and no chair. The bathroom had nice blue tile but only one small shelf for your items and a shower but no tub. Toiletries (soap, 2-in-1 shampoo, shower gel) are provided via wall-mounted pumps and a hair dryer is provided. Coffee is provided in the lobby in the morning and water, tea and hot chocolate is provided throughout the day.

The curtain, which was thin, barely covered the windows so we used a backpack and clothes to fill in the gaps. The AC unit was a little weak with the sun shining in the windows so we opted to leave the curtain closed the entire time to keep the room cooler. Street noise was loud (2nd floor) but ear plugs were provided and noise from the hallway and above us was almost non-existent. We expect noise in NYC and didn't need the ear plugs to sleep.

The location is really good. The subway R line which runs you up to Times Square, Central Park and close to Rockefeller Center, and down to Battery Park is about one block away. There are closer stations for other lines as well. Chinatown is adjacent to the hotel and Little Italy is only a few blocks away. Restaurants and shopping are literally right outside the door.

In-room free wi-fi was reliable and at a reasonable speed.

Overall, I recommend the hotel and would likely stay there again. Comparing it to other options in the same price range, it's a good choice. Just don't expect free breakfast in the morning or a large well-furnished room. Restaurants with inexpensive breakfast are nearby and we were fine sitting on the bed for the small amount of time we spent in the room.

Room Tip: hotel has four floors, ask for higher room for less street noise
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rameyfamily
Reviewed 18 September 2015 via mobile

As long as you are prepared for a Very Small Room, you'll be fine. Comfortable bed, tiny but serviceable bathroom. Wood crates bolted to the walls for bedside tables. View of extremely busy, very urban intersection of Canal and Lafayette Streets felt festive. Front desk staff couldn't have been more helpful. Willing to hold our 5 bags for several hours, tagging them for us. Rate of $109 can't be beat in NYC for a decent room.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family