“Way over priced ”

Good for: Child-friendly
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Visited here on our last night in New York,
Queued up for around half an hour as we timed it just right, singing waiters and waitresses were good, food was crap! And that’s being nice!
Well over priced for a diner and that’s all it is, nothing fancy just a well worn and tired diner, they bring a bucket round every hour to collect tips for the staff but then hit you with 20% for the pile of crap you’re served!
Service seems rushed, orders taken quickly, food out as soon as it looks like your finished the plates are cleared and your presented with the bill!
Would I recommend it No not really the singing staff were good but having to suffer and pay for the awful food just ain’t worth it!

1  Thank Alan F
Write a ReviewReviews (17,824)

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

My sister took us on a surprise trip and we queued here from 10.45-11-15 when they let you in after change over. Be prepared to queue as they do not take bookings. This was worth the wait as they sang broadway songs to you live whilst you ate. The kids loved it. If you go to new you’re go here. The toilets could do with a little work though but the place and atmosphere was worth it . I am from England

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

We waited until our last day to visit Ellen Stardust Diner. We got up early to avoid the queues. The diner opens from 7am TIL midnight daily. We arrived for 8am & literally just missed the queue as within 10 minutes the queue was round the block.
We were taken to our table & our waitress brought over menus and water whilst singing! The tables are very close together but everyone sticks to their own space and it works. The deco is very traditional diner style. The prices are slightly more compared to other breakfast eateries in the district but where else do you get a show at the same time?! Nowhere!! All the waiters and waitresses sing and put on a show the entire time, singing, dancing, serving food and drinks and at times multitasking!!
The main reason I wanted to go to Ellen’s Stardust Diner was for the rainbow bagel. I had it and it was amazing!! I had Brooklyn Pride which was scrambled egg on a rainbow bagel and potato rosties. You will not be disappointed and I highly recommend you add this to your list of places to visit as you won’t be disappointed!!

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

As above food & atmosphere is brilliant but the wait to get in is a nightmare,50 mins for us in the freezing cold.Also if a certain table has become available they will go up the queue and pick what group suits that table before you,even If your next in line to get in which is very unfair.
Would I go back not sure the queue really puts me off but the food is delicious.

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

We had been told this restaurant had a fun atmosphere so went there after our city tour since it was nice and close to our drop off point. We had to leave because my son got upset by the loudness. For a small building the Singing was WAY too loud!!! If you just turned it down by several degrees we could hear ourselves think and hear each other. Plus there was CONSTANT singing. Maybe if they want to have it so loud they could take breaks so people can have a dinner conversation. Never tasted their food, left after our highly priced drinks.