All reviews rooftop bar rooms are small provide ear plugs times square fun hotel welcome drink wasted space new york quirky hotel bunk beds cool vibe an iron floor lounge key card penn station shower head street noise
Reviewed 2 May 2018

I visit NYC from Boston 1-3 times a year. I am always looking on the outlook for the best possible room, in the perfect location and an amazing price. Moxy Times Square checks off all the boxes. Checkin-in was easy and the staff were very welcoming. The feel of the hotel is innovation mixed with rock & roll. It's how I imagine where the cool kids stay in NYC. The room was beautifully done, the perfect size and creatively set-up. They use every inch of the room to make it easy to use and fun to hang out in. The decor of the hotel is fun but also elegant. There is a bar that is open most of the day to serve breakfast, lunch and with the help of a DJ, amazing drinks at night. There is a room deck that is just plain fun with amazing views of the city. We had cocktails and food which were perfect and service spot on. And the location of the hotel coudn't be more ideal. South of Times Sure and not far from Hell's Kitchen which is full of great places to eat and hang out in. Overall, I loved this place. My ONLY complaint, and it' a big one, is the parking garage next door. Horrible, horrible, horrible. The staff running the place are the definition of how bad customer can really be. The price ($70 a day) is expensive even for NYC. Once they take your car, you are not allowed to see it again until you leave. I needed to get to my car twice and they made it seem like it was the end of world for them to help me. I do understand Moxy does not own or run the garage, but they do list the garage as part of their website. I will either take the train next time from Boston or park elsewhere, irregardless of the inconvienence. I love this hotel and everything it's about. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for 5th floor or higher and 17th floor and lower for less noise.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Alex M, Manager at Moxy NYC Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Dear Jeremy R, wow what a wonderful review of your stay at the Moxy Times Square! Sounds like we met and exceeded all your expectations with our location, accommodations and amenities! It was our pleasure to host your traditional trip to NYC and hope you will continue to make us your hotel of choice each and every visit. Safe travels and see you soon!

Reviewed 1 May 2018

Overall Rating: 67/90 (7.4/10)

Class of Room Booked: Std
Class of Room Stayed: Std Double (Room 304)
Price per night (w/o taxes): $302

The Quick Hits:

Would I stay here again? Probably not - see below
Value rating based on price paid: Fair

The Details:

Hotel Design Location and Layout:

Location (8/10 – Met Expectation) – Located conveniently between Penn Station and Times Square you are just minutes away from tons of options, but not in the thick of the crowds.

Hotel Lobby/Common Areas(8/10 – Met Expectations) – There were multiple common areas available, all fairly well appointed. Seperate check in desks made for a smooth and fast checkin. Not sure about the games down there like Giant Jenga as not really a good place to play them, I considered them more visual than practical.

Hotel Amenities(8/10 – Met expectations) – The candy cart in the lobby is a nice touch. The hotel offers several dining venues and a pre-made food selection at reasonable for NYC pricing

Room:

Design and Layout (5/10 – Met expectations) – Did I say the room was small? I knew the Moxy had smaller rooms going in, but this was pretty tiny. But that's manageable. More important is the tiny space means less than usual storage space and not in convenient locations. The only place to put a larger suitcase away would be the bathroom. The score would have been lower but the bathroom was comparatively spacious and well designed. Lack of any form of a desk or chair will be a negative for a business traveler. They do provide a lap desk. Only plugs in room are above the beds (the little shelves for phones there are nice, but the plugs themselves are not convenient if you need to charge a larger device like an ipad.

Comfort(7.5/10 – Met expectations) – This would have been 8 except for one thing. The room I had was back on a courtyard so was mostly quiet. I say mostly because even on floor 3 I could still pick up the bass from the lounge. The one on floor 17. I was very glad the staff at check in decided to put me on a lower floor.

Condition(7.5/10 – Met Expectations) – Condition as expected for a brand new hotel, except the design of the bed left a huge gap between it and window. I almost dropped something down there and when I looked I could see debris and dust buildup on the floor.

Amenities(7.5/10 – Met Expectations) – Towels were nice and fluffy. Not a big fan of the combo body wash and shampoo (I know they are basically the same thing, its not that, this was just a very thick and creamy and heavy shampoo). The retro style phone with pre-recorded bedtime stories was a cute touch, but no clock. Clothes steamer in the bathroom also appreciated. Do not disturb light and blackout curtains a plus.

Staff:

Front Desk/Service(8/10 – Met Expectations) – Check in was fast and efficient, and the agent immediately advised me against my higher floor preference because of the club noise.

Housekeeping (7.5/10 - Met Expectations) - Only a one night stay so did not interact but room was properly prepared.

Other Staff (NA)

Food Service:

Paid Dining:

Restaurant/Cafe (NA) –

Room Service(NA) -

Complimentary Dining:

Breakfast/Reception (NA) -

Other Areas:

Frequent Traveler Program: (Applicable Status) - Marriot Gold - no particular benefits at this hotel beyond standard

Club/Lounge (NA) -

Special Perks(bonus point) -

Other:

Internet Speed Test Results (from Room via Oookla): This was tough. When the net worked it was fast but had a tendency to drop out for a minute or 3 and come back up. I switched to cell data just to finish some tasks.

Family Friendly: No. Rooms are too small.

Pet Friendly: No

Notes: First up, I am very aware that I am NOT the target market for this hotel as a middle aged business traveler. And I know millennials look more on rooms as a place to sleep. But the design of the rooms here felt just a little claustrophobic. It was ok for one night, but I couldn't do an extended stay here, not when there are so many other options in the area. If you were looking to dance the night away and collapse into bed, this might be the place for you, but I can see even partygoers having issues hanging dress clothes and putting on makeup due to the very limited space. Of course, there may be other rooms more suited to different types of travel. The staff I interacted with were great, I love the decor and the general vibe, but overall not for me.

Also note - the elevators are the kind where you request a floor from a central panel and are told which one to use. A lot of people had trouble with this even though the front desk took pains to explain to me as I am sure they had with others.

Even though the average was 7.4 and I did score it a 4 overall, I almost went three because of design issues.

About my system - All scores are based on expectations, where 7.5 = met expectations, 10 is highly exceeded, and 1, well, something went horribly wrong. Expectations take into account a number of factors, such as price paid, brand, and location. They will vary greatly from the Waldorf Astoria to a Super 8. All scores are averaged and translated to a score out of 10. 1 Trip Advisor dot applies for each 2 points, so 4 dots is the most likely scenario.

Room Tip: Lower floor rooms facing interior much quieter. Some carryover noise from dance club.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Alex M, Manager at Moxy NYC Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

Dear Loonbeam, thank you for your detailed review and account of your Moxy experience. We are pleased overall you had a satisfactory stay. We also appreciate you letting us know the areas that could be improved to make your next visit perfect. We are a unique take on the hotel experience and realize we may not be for everyone, but as you pointed out there are many options within the Marriott family close by should one of those locations meet ones needs better. Thanks for being our guest and we would love to see you again here or at another sister property. Safe travels till then!

Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

Perfect location friendly staff
Nice rooftop bar
Rooms small but cosy and all you use it for is to sleep.
Free WiFi
I will definitely come back to this hotel
Only thing I think needs adjusting is the lift system. Gets packed at times and waiting for quite some time.

Stayed: April 2018

Thank you David T, for the kind rating and great feedback! From our location to our accommodations, we are a fun and unique place to lay your head after a day of sight seeing. Thanks so much for being our guest and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2018

This hotel was wonderful. Moxy hotels are geared towards millenials - with smaller rooms, yet the amenities and social options that millennials love and a decent price. The rooms are very very small, but who comes to NYC to stay in the hotel room anyway? The amenities are amazing and I do wish I had time to experience more of them. My stay included two free drinks, and each day has complimentary activities. The lounge is also fantastic. I love staying in hostels for the social aspect of it, and I felt the same way in this hotel - with much nicer and private rooms. This is the only hotel I'll be staying in NYC in for the future.

Only downsides are that walls are pretty thin, and beds could be comfier - but, for me, these are minor details.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple

Wow thanks so much Danielle M, for the great review and feedback. It makes us all so happy to know our unique take on the hotel experience met all your needs and expectations along the way. It was so fun to host your trip to NYC and we are so excited to know you plan to return. Thanks again and hurry back when you are ready for more fun!

Reviewed 30 April 2018

Great spot to stay especially if you are younger. Very L.A. Style. Located in a convenient location to theater and everything. Try to book a suite since rooms are small in size. Definitely designed for the happening person. Rooftop bar.

Stayed: April 2018
1  Thank sweiner2018
Alex M, Manager at Moxy NYC Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2018

Wow thanks so much sweiner2018, for the great feedback. We try to provide a unique NYC experience and so glad you loved the Moxy vibe. Our friendly staff enjoyed having you as our guest and hope you will be back again soon for another fun stay! Safe travels till then and thanks for being our guest.