Open today: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

from US$57.00
from US$46.99
from US$57.00
6,825 results
All reviews audio tour hard hat tour statue of liberty immigration process family history battery park american history immigrant experience new york ferry ride piece of history great history lots of history moving experience ancestors immigrants exhibits
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Nothing can possibly bring the immigrant experience to life quite like standing in this place where so many of our ancestors first entered this country.

Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed our stop by Ellis Island. There is some incredible historical significance here. It is amazing to see the registry room and the size of it. Unbelievable. We paid $7 and were able to search for our surname in the register. Amazing at the results. We had a quick and enjoyable lunch. Wish we had more time here. Check it out

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed 30 April 2018

Despite being a native NYer, I had never visited Ellis Island before. Perhaps due to the fact that for most of my 54 years the island was abandoned and not open for visitation. Plus, my family arrived in America before Ellis was in service, so, due to my lack of personal connection, I had not thought to visit. Well, I am soooo pleased we did! We opted for the Hard Hat tour, which takes you through the buildings on Island 3 that have not been renovated as of yet. Just fascinating!! Our guide was enthusiastic and knowledgable, and I really felt like we walking through history (because, I guess, we were!) You get to see the hospital pavilions, the more, one of the old kitchens and also the house where the head doctors lived with their families. I learned a lot of new information. The tour groups are small, ours was only 7 people, so you had ample opportunity to ask questions. It is a haunting and emotional experience and makes the small hassle of getting there worth the bother. Because of our heightened state in regards to terrorism, you need to endure a 20 minute line and airport style security before you board the ferry. However, do NOT let this discourage you. The views of NYC alone make it totally worth it. And the history, if you are a buff like we are, is just incredible. This is an extremely well-run National Park. Wear good walking shoes if you plan to take this tour, it lasts 90 minutes (90 fascinating minutes that is).

2  Thank Mitchell B
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

Unless you have a keen personal interest in the history of Ellis Island, it’s hardly worth the time and effort getting there and back. We went mid-week on a cool day, and waited in a packed line for over 2 hours after we bought our tickets, another 30 minutes to go through security, then there’s the ferry ride first to the Statue of Liberty and then next stop Ellis Island. We found it took us the better part of a day just to visit this one attraction. And most of what we saw inside was dedicated to the life of new immigrants to the USA during the heavy periods of immigration. It was interesting but primarily photographs with lots of plaques to read. There was very little about the actual experience of new immigrants arriving at Ellis Island which is what we were interested in. It’s nice to actually be in the venue where it all occurred but it was somewhat disappointing at how much reading you had to do. If you have a limited amount of time in NYC, I’d reconsider spending a day on Ellis Island and Lady Liberty.

Reviewed 28 April 2018

Ellis Island is a large immigration station that opened in 1892. About 12 million immigrants passed through these buildings on their way to becoming US citizens until it closed in 1954. This is a National Park museum and is open every day of the year except for Christmas Day. Ellis Island is located near the mouth of the Hudson River close to the New Jersey shoreline. You need to take the Statue Cruise Ferry to reach it. The ferry stops at the Statue of Liberty first so you can get off and look at that up close or stay on the ferry and just take a few pictures of Lady Liberty.

I took the 90 minute hard hat guided tour of the old Hospital with my family on a Monday morning in mid-January and thought that it was awesome. The hospital buildings have not ever been remodeled and the building and rooms look much like they did when the Island was closed down (it is really cool). Tickets are a little expensive at about $54 and you generally need to buy them in advance to reserve a spot. Make sure you are at the information Desk on Ellis Island by the start time of your tour. If you are still on the Ferry they will most likely start the tour without you. We were on the first ferry ride and tour after Ellis Island was reopened after the recent budget shut down (so we were interviewed by a newspaper reporter and a TV news crew during the cruise).

Overall I thought the hard hat tour was awesome and highly recommend it. I toured the restored regular Ellis Buildings many years ago but liked going on the hard hat tour much better.

Date of experience: January 2018