“Hotel Circle Location at a Very Reasonable Price”
Review of Hotel Iris

Hotel Iris
Ranked #159 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 26 October 2015

This former Vagabond Inn gets mixed reviews here on Tripadvisor, and I am at a loss to understand the negative comments. Sure this is a budget hotel ( about half the cost of other hotels in Hotel Circle), but our room was clean, quiet, and obviously recently remodeled. Great value for sure. Certainly not luxury, but you are not paying luxury prices. Free parking is a bonus here, and the folks at the front desk were a pleasure to deal with. Can understand not wanting to be here for an extended stay, but one or two nights here are fine. Great Mission Valley location close to extensive shopping, dining and entertainment choices. Only about 10 minutes from downtown. A wonderful choice for someone on a budget.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RML-OH
GuestRelationsDept, General Manager at Hotel Iris, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2015

RML-OH,

Im happy to see that you had a pleasant stay and my staff at the Front Desk was able to play a part in that. We strive to provide a great Guest experience. As you may know, often times it's the more emotional reviews that find their way online - so we are so happy that you took the time to share your experience.

In the future, I hope that you will choose to stay with us again - tell them Stephen sent you!

Reviewed 20 October 2015

Stayed a couple of nights to explore San Diego - it's a great location at a very reasonable cost and they are one of a few hotels who do not charge for parking. Located in Hotel Circle area within short driving distance of the main attractions also near restaurants and shopping mall. All rooms recently renovated and look stunning including fridge, microwave and coffee making facilities plus 55" TV. Also offers free wifi. Mike, who was on reception, was exceedingly helpful and nothing was too much trouble. A great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple

Ian and Jackie,

We are so happy that you were pleased with the accommodations and service that you received while staying with us at Hotel Iris. I hope that in your future travels to San Diego you choose to stay with us again - we have exciting things coming soon!

Reviewed 20 October 2015 via mobile

I am staying here now. Physically, it looks like any other inexpensive motel. However, the rooms are clean, updated, with modern fixtures. Large flat screen TV in every room with excellent channel selection. While there is no dining on site, there are decent restaurants within easy walking distance.

While the area is a bit far from downtown San Diego, if you are doing business near hotel circle, this is an excellent, and inexpensive choice.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business

jlhead,

We are so excited that you were pleased with your accommodations! We are working very hard to ensure that all of our guests have wonderful stays, and are happy to see that we have succeeded with you! Please do come see us again, we look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 12 October 2015

The hotel contacted us. They have remolded. Come see what we have done. Promised us an upgraded room. Upon arrival we were bumped to another room. There were 7 of us so we had 2 rooms for 2 days. Paint was the only thing done. The rooms were very small. The closet was two folding chairs nailed to the wall. You used the legs to hang your clothes. No vanity around the sink. You had no place to put your toiletries. The beds were very hard. I woke up with sore shoulder and sniff neck. The pillows were like sleeping on rocks. It is not worth it at any price.

Room Tip: Sea World, Old Town
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Nannab77
GuestRelationsDept, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Iris, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2015

Nannab77,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Iris. We never like to see a dissatisfied
guest here at Hotel Iris, San Diego. As we pride ourselves on exceptional customer
service, it comes as a surprise that what you were promised and what you received did
not match up. It does provide a measure of relief to know it appears you and your
family enjoyed Old Town and Sea World - famous San Diego attractions not far from our
hotel. While our upgraded rooms are stylish and modern, we realize not every customer
will share the same taste in design schemes. Would you please write to
spaulk@hotelhosts.com and reference this response to your review and provide your
stay information so that we can attempt to resolve this to your satisfaction and ours?

We want to earn your continued business.

Most Sincerely,

G. Valdez, Customer Service Relations

Reviewed 9 October 2015

Where do I start with this hotel!! This used to be one of my fav hotels to stay at when it was originally the vagabound inn. First their customer service is horrible now. This recent trip made it even worst.

When heading to San Diego I get a call from "Mike" the front desk saying they ran my card and it didn't go though so they couldn't keep my reservation! In his words he tells me "You will need to find another hotel" mind this I called the day before to verify that i will be paying cash for our stay and got the okay from 2 different front desk clerks "Mike" being one of them. Never once did they tell me I needed anything else prior to arriving in order to confirm our room. We were doing a late check in as that. Mike had a really bad attitude & didn't want help at this point. So finally after arguing,yes arguing with him which I felt like it didn't need to get to this point, he tells me if I can put a least 50.00 on my card I will be okay, so here we go trying to find a bank to load the money. I usually pay everything cash since I don't really use any bank or credit cards. We had to back track 30 mins back into town.

Fast forward we get to the hotel and not once did we get an apology for the rudeness we received. So next day I went to the front desk and ask for a manager or supervisor. Quincy was the manager on site and he did apologize for his staff action and gives me a 5% discount on my next stay if I decided to stay next time.I had booked this room way in advance more like a month or so. I called several times to verify everything. We have been staying at this hotel for over 5 years when it was originally the vagabond inn and this had to be the worst service ever. I felt like mike had no reason to start arguing with me over the phone he need to provide his customer service and do what he could for the guest.

Hotel renovation are okay. No dresser to put clothes In and you have to hang up your clothes on 2 chairs hanging on the wall that came with 5 hangers. To say if I will ever stay at this place that will be a negative!!

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marilyn A

Marilyn,

I am disheartened by the experience you have had with us, and would like to extend you an opportunity to give us another shot to show you the level of service you had come to expect. Please contact me at spaulk@hotelhosts.com so that we can come to a satisfactory outcome, as we want each of our guests to leave us having had an amazing stay.