Diamond Head Inn
The Sofia Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$281
US$186
US$541
US$409
Fairmont.com
US$288
US$252
  • Pool
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$316
US$293
US$246
US$170
  • Breakfast included
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$247
Lafayette Hotel
US$256
US$224
  • Pool
The Dana on Mission Bay(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$238
US$229
  • Restaurant
Hilton San Diego Bayfront(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$584
US$510
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewspacific beachstove topocean viewgranite countertopsmission blvdsmall fridgestreet parkingrestaurants and barsbed was comfortablepansunitsrenovationpropertiescalifornia
Reviewed 17 October 2017

The stay was very pleasant. Friday afternoon front desk personnel was not personable at all and I admit I was somewhat put off. The weekend (Saturday/Sunday) staff were excellent - based on our treatment Saturday and Sunday I would go back and recommend to friends/family. Upon checking out of the hotel, I left behind a piece of jewelry that was very dear to me (a gold necklace with a center diamond). It was engraved and given to me by my son while he was serving in Afghanistan. I really thought I would never see it again.. the hotel had it in their lost and found and I am now in the process of having it shipped to me. I want to commend their staff on their honesty. This is not a fancy hotel, but is clean and across the street from Pacific Beach, a great location! I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a ocean view you need to make reservations directly with hotel staff and at least 6 months out.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pam B
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2017

Thank you for your comments. I was very pleased to hear about your necklace, and did have it shipped out the same day. I hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

We had a renovated courtyard room view with one queen bed and a kitchenette with AC unit and large walk in shower. The room was clean and newly renovated so we were happy about that. We were only staying there for 2 days and not spending much time in the room anyway, but it was perfect for what we needed. The pillows were a bit flat and we could've used another towel or two, but we probably could've asked for another one. Overall, the price for the room was adequate and the location was clutch, as we were close enough to restaurants and bars, but removed enough that it was quiet at night. We would definitely stay there again. Right in the beach is always a best bet!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jill F
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We always appreciate your feedback, and do hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 27 August 2017

No soap bar or any other toiletry was provided in the room with the exception of one roll of toilet paper. There's a coffee maker but no coffee packet. The vending machine was out of order. No iron in the room. Although the room looked like it has been updated, some of the furniture were still in plastic wrap. The door didn't close well, I had to slam it hard to get it to close. There were only two pillows, one firm and one soft and a tiny throw pillow. You have to pay for Wifi. Parking was hard to find. Continental breakfast is provided. Overall, besides the close proximity to the beach and the boardwalk, there's not much about this place that would make me want to come back.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
jimsilver, General Manager at Diamond Head Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Thank you for your comments. Although, I do wish your stay with us would have been a more pleasurable one. We are still finishing up with the renovation when it comes to the details, but will be finished very soon. I hope you will try us again.

Reviewed 24 August 2017

Our room was newly remodeled and very nice. There was no ocean view, but the beach was right around the corner. The room had a few minor issues (hot/cold taps reversed in the shower and sink, no screen in the window), but nothing that kept us from being comfortable. The front desk clerk, Laura, was very friendly and made us feel right at home. The price was very good for the location.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments. I will also inform Laura of your review. I was not aware of the reversed water lines, but will have this repaired asap. I hope you will come again.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

In July, I went to Daimonheadinn.com and booked a "Suite 1 QN Bed with Kitchen", for 3 nights (That is exactly how it is shown on both the hotel's website and on the confirmation that I printed". After driving 10+ hours to get here, we checked into the hotel and went to our room. It looked smaller than the website showed, but it was in the afternoon and since we are only here a couple of day we headed straight down to the beach to catch what was left of another beautiful San Diego summer day. After getting back to the room, we changed and headed out to grab a few necessities and once we were back to the hotel, finally had a chance to go onto their website just to double check. Turns out they had switched us to the Standard Queen room without letting me know when I checked in. Also, the website says "Kitchen facilities include stove top, microwave, coffee maker, sink and granite counter tops and refrigerator. Essential kitchen utensils are also included, plates, bowls, cups, silverware, pots and pans" - This is supposed to be in ALL the units, even the basic Queen room. Our room has what is essentially just a wet bar with a microwave,. No cooktop, No pot and pans, (why would they?), No cups, No bowls and No silverware. So the next morning I head down to the office to discuss. There I am given a song and dance about how there are a bunch of websites that were overbooking them, etc, etc., when I asked about the kitchen essentials - no answer, she just walked into the back room. I'm then told that there were no rooms like I reserved, so they placed us in what was available. She even said they have had instances where they have had to turn away people that had reservations because they were overbooked.

Next the on duty manager Laura, calls our room to explain that she has looked into this further and sees in their system that my reservation was changed from the suite to the standard room on Aug 1st, I never changed it, and was never informed about this. A bit of back and forth goes on, I can sense I am getting no where. I ask if I am getting charged the same rate as for the larger room, and I am told yes, that I'm even getting a "deal" at $182 per nite, since the regular rate is $241 per nite. I explain that I can go on their website and book the same room I am in for the next 2 nites at $131 per nite, and she explains that Yes the rates are lower now because it's August. I am again told I will need to talk to the General Manager on Monday.

I WAS offered a larger room in one of their "sister" properties (where the pool that guest here can use is located). But that property is directly on Mission Blvd and not right on the beach like this one is. Sorry but if I had wanted to get a room on a busy street, and not at the beach, I would have booked it then.

Biggest problem, is we were going to have our nieces come down from LA to stay a night (since the website said the room I booked could sleep 4 people). Now that is not going to happen, since the room we were changed to has a bed and not even a sitting area to watch the TV. Really ruins plans we had for a couple of the days we are here

It sucks that this is ruining my mini vacation, and too bad they pulled the switch since this hotel is nice, clean and in a great location.

We try to come down to San Diego at least a couple of times a year, but I really doubt if I will ever use this property again. Why would I trust a hotel that downgrades your reservation (with no change in cost) or offers the possibility of turning you away because they are overbooked. I guess that I should be as the manager Laura said "grateful that I even got a room".

Room Tip: 201 and 202 look like they are the only 2 rooms with a balcony and ocean view
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Traveling_Fat_Guy

There was a mistake with our reservation system, and did everything we could to correct your accommodations as soon as we could. Thank you for staying with us.