“A fun afternoon in the North End”
Review of City Wine Tours

North End Wine Tasting and Walking Tour
Ranked #22 of 53 Food & Drink in Boston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Explore Boston's award-winning restaurants while you sip, savor, and chat about wine with people just like you: enthusiastic, curious, and thirsty! At City Wine Tours, we think learning about wine should be as much fun as drinking it.
Reviewed 3 May 2018

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

We truly enjoyed our wine tour with city wine tours. I did a good amount of research since I am in the wine tour business myself in GA and finally chose this company after extensive research. We ended up doing the south end tour and enjoyed our time with Wine expert John. John was eclectic, energetic and fun. He had quite the knowledge about wines and I learned so much from him. We went to two restaurants and had private tastings with him. Our group consisted of 12 people and are kept small. He was able to answer so many questions and there were quite a few new wine enthusiasts amongst the group which I could tell were not intimidated by the slightest.
To some the price point May seem a little high but I considered it at a tremendous value. It was like we had our own private wine expert and sampled some wonderful wines along with small plates. Even if you know your wines this is a great tour to take. I found it to be of great value, especially for those who want to enhance their wine knowledge. If you have a small group, I would even consider working with city wine tours and hiring John privately.

Reviewed 23 March 2018

As I approached turning a quarter of a century, I decided that there was no better way to celebrate than to WINE about it with my favorite people in Boston... so I booked a private tour at the North End.

Scheduling process: City Wine Tours was EXTREMELY accommodating to my party needs. For instance, the max group size typically allowed is QTY 12, but they were able to extend the max group size to QTY 15. Granted, I'm sure it would also depend on capacity/space of the venue itself, so you might not be able to plus up your party. Due to this change, we received four varietals (wine tastings), two bottles per varietal for the group versus the standard six varietals, one bottle per varietal. Essentially, our adjusted tastings gave us less variety, but increased the total amount of wine served by 30%, which was absolutely worth it.

Payment & Cancellation Policy: I really appreciate that they give customers the option to pay individually or in a lump sum. So that's an A+ for convenience right there. They also give you up to 10 days before the event to pay for all the tickets so you don't have to pay everything upfront if you aren't able to. Another A+ for thinking about the customer. Furthermore, to receive 100% refund, customers must cancel eight days prior to the scheduled event, which I thought was pretty fair. Private tours not cancelled without eight days notice will have a $200 fee.

Wine Tour: Karylyn was my wine ambassador and she was FABULOUS. She was knowledgeable on the subject, passionate about sharing her knowledge (most of my party are wine noobs, including myself), and most importantly, patient with my party (she had to deal with my drunk self... and other drunk folks... whoops it happens).

As you can see, my overall experience with City Wine Tours has been stellar -- from picking up the phone to schedule a private tour to gaining wine tasting tips on the tour itself... I am extremely please with my experience with them. My friends and I had so much fun on this wine tour and I would absolutely recommend taking a tour with with company!

Adam S, Public Relations Manager at City Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Thank you so much for your kind and thorough review! We're so glad that you enjoyed your tour and experience so much - have a very Happy Birthday!

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

Our tour guide was not very good at public speaking in general, which made it difficult to follow her explanations on the different wines that we tasted. She only guided us through one white wine, and then did not have an agenda for the other tastings. The remaining were up to us to taste and decide what we thought, but we were given minimal guidance. It could have been a better experience if our guide was more personable and was able to give more detailed information. It seemed that every time she responded to a question, she gave a roundabout response.