“Great lunch and service ”
Review of Chestnut

Chestnut
Ranked #11 of 849 Restaurants in Asheville
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown Asheville
Description: Chestnut is an American restaurant. We are in a 1920s era building in downtown Asheville, right across for the Aloft hotel and the double decker coffee bus. Parking is plentiful (and cheap) at the public deck under the Aloft Hotel.
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Wow. Great menu. Great food. Excellent service. Had the lamb burger, great meat and flavors. The side choices are so good. And McKenzie is a great server.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,642)

Reviewed 2 May 2018

I recently dined here with a group of 8 for dinner. The food was excellent, in my opinion. A friend and I shared the trout and a 6oz filet. Both were outstanding. I also tried the halibut and it was very good as well. We ordered several desserts to share and, as a group, felt that they were somewhat disappointing. The strawberry shortcake could have used more strawberries. However, I personally loved the sesame soufflé, even though the sides were a little tough. I could wish for a little more ambiance: we were seated in a large, rather loud room at a rectangular rustic type of table. I felt the ambiance did not suite the food all that well. It almost felt more like a pub. Having said that, I would definitely go back. At the end of the day, it is all about the food.

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

We had reservations. I got there first and did not want to be seated early so the manager gave me a complementary tea while I waited. The food was excellent southern fare. The restaurant feels a little small and loud But we had a good time and I would recommend it.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

The food was completely and totally wonderful - we went for my husband's birthday - we were seated near a large table but asked to be moved to a booth right after we met our server, Molly - fortunately Molly stayed with us when we moved and she was truly a delight and very knowledgeable about the menu and food and she had simply a wonderful spirit which made the special evening even more wonderful.

The grilled octopus and mixed beat salad for appetizers were just honest. good food. Our mains, the Shrimp and Grits and the Rolled chicken were incredibly tasty and satisfying! We had the strawberry shortcake as his birthday dessert and I'm sure it was the best we've ever eaten, not sweet, it was the strawberries that stole the show but the shortcake was even more simple to serve up those strawberries!

Make sure you ask for Molly to be your server, you won't regret it, of course the food is the star but Molly doesn't fall too far away - give yourself the 'total' experience!

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

We went for brunch and had the Chicken and Waffles and the Fried Green Tomatoes Benedict. Both were good but could have been better if they would have come out piping hot-everything was just warm-The service was so slow - the restaurant was busy but not slammed-it took 10 minutes just to get two cups of black coffee. Glad we tried it but won’t be back.

AshevilleNative139, Public Relations Manager at Chestnut, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Dear MGrummer,
Thanks for posting a review and we are sorry to hear your experience was not so great. We hope you'll allow us to make it up to you. Please email us your details at talktous@chestnutasheville.com.
Many thanks, Vanessa