“Overrated”

Restaurant Gary Danko
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Gary Danko is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 5,946 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$70 - US$100
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Its a good restaurant, but not too good, the food is tasty and the service is good but to be honest you can find better restaurants in San francisco, it is full of tourists (like me) and is more of a older people mood

Write a ReviewReviews (2,379)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were visiting SF from England and try to eat at GD every time we are in town (once every couple of years). We loved our experience at GD during our most recent visit to SF. Service was attentive and food quality/presentation was perfect. Most of the wines are fairly expensive (the British pound is very weak at the moment so everything in the States seems expensive at present) and, consequently, chose one of the cheaper wines. The sommelier was very gracious, though, and treated our selection as reverently as if we had chosen s much higher priced bottle. I chose the mushroom veloute for my starter and it tasted wonderful. I had the branzini as my main course and the skin was beautifully crisp. My desert was chocolate soufflé and it was perfect. Restaurant decor was beautiful. My husband and I both used the restroom and the waiter re-folded our napkins. The bathrooms were beautifully decorated. If I was pushed to find fault with something, it was having to order desert in the beginning, at the same time as I ordered the rest of the meal. Perhaps this is normal at fine-dining restaurants in the USA, but I found it difficult to anticipate in advance what dish I wanted to finish with. This, however, is a minor point.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

If you want to eat where the tourists flock, make a reservation and stand and wait. It’s adequate. It’s stale. And it’s popular.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We have been customers of Gary Danko for about 17 years now and visit every time we head to San Francisco. My husband has also hosted several business meetings there over the years and we have always loved the food and restaurant itself. We just returned home from a couples weekend with friends and had made reservations for 8 of us to eat there. My husband called the first day, the moment the restaurant opened, to book their private room but unfortunately was caller #2 and didn't get it. He was told that our party of 8 would be seated at 2 tables because their dining room couldn't accommodate that large of a party. Imagine our surprise upon arriving, when we asked if the tables were at least next to each other, we were told by a hostess that was not very friendly at all, that we were being seated in the same room. (As if that should have even been a question). Our reservation was for 6:00 so the restaurant was not full when we arrived. We decided to have wives at one table and husbands at the other table. We were seated at a 4-top table next to another 4-top table that had been seated probably 5 minutes before we arrived. The configuration of the tables made it so that had there been some prior planning that I would expect from a restaurant of this magnitude, we would have all been sat together at these two tables next to each other. The only option for us to sit next to each other was if they had seated the party of 4 at another table anywhere else in the room/restaurant. Because they did not plan ahead, the wives were seated at a corner booth and the husbands ended up being on the completely opposite side of the room from where we were seated. We asked about the seating arrangement and were rudely told that seating together was never guaranteed. Instead of offering to move us somewhere else within the restaurant (because it was NOT yet full), we were left sitting across the room from the rest of our party. Needless to say, having this experience at an EXTREMELY expensive restaurant, did not fare well with anyone in our party. If they had planned ahead for our large party (which they obviously knew we were coming AND knew we were a party of 8), we could have sat right next to each other and enjoyed a nice dinner. As it was, the food was amazing as always. Didn't much care for the wine pairings this time and that was a shared experience throughout our entire party. The restaurant never did anything to make this right, never offered any help or really any sincere condolences. We felt like we were inconveniencing them by asking to sit together as a party of 4 and 4. This is unfortunately our last experience at this restaurant. For the price, the staff is not accommodating, was somewhat rude, and the wine was so so.

1  Thank jkaye42003
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and lived in the Bay Area for 27 years and spent some of that time working in The City. Moved to Oregon in 2000, This was our first trip back to Baghdad by the Sea in 18 years. We just wanted to see the many changes that have occurred and to eat. What I forgot to mention in some reviews that some restaurants in the city require reservation two months ahead of time. Now for this review it is Gary Dankos which is down on the waterfront. The seating is like a French bistro and can be loud. The food is fantastic and is comprised of a three, four or five course meal. My wife and I selected the three course meal which included an appetizer, entrée, and dessert. For starters we had glazed oysters and seared Ahi tuna. The entrée were a roast lobster and seared sea scallops. For dessert we had a lemon soufflé cake and a strawberry soufflé. Now the portions are small but the they give our given time to savor the each dish. The pacing between each course was spot on. I am not a dessert person but the strawberry soufflé is beyond words. Even my wife said it was the best ever.