“Average”

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Union Square
Cross street: Post and Sutter
Transit: Powell St. Cable Car Line, BART get off at Powell Street and walk up 4 blocks, we are on the right hand side next to the Sir Drake Hotel.
Description: Scala's Bistro is located centrally in Union Square in San Francisco and features hand crafted cocktails and Italian inspired fare.
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Dined here about 2 years ago and meal was wonderful so couldn't wait to return. It was not as good as I remember, just okay this time. I had the ravioli with lemon cream based on other reviews. It was delicious. Beware though, it's a very rich, creamy dish ($21). Had a side of the brussel sprouts, they were ok. Person dining with me commented that the mussels were very good, just had a lot of bacon with them. The gnocchi and sea bass were enjoyed by the other diners at our table.Waiter a little surly at first but warmed up a bit.

Date of visit: March 2013
Write a reviewReviews (2,076)

Reviewed 3 March 2013

We have eaten dinner twice here on our many trips to San Francisco. The service was prompt and our server brought some humor to our table. We both ordered the lamb special and it was excellent! Fall off the bone! We will return to this restaurant!

1  Thank Katie O
Reviewed 1 March 2013

We've been to Scala's for dinner on several occasions and up until now had found it satisfactory. This week the dishes really missed. Linguini and clams tasted very average. The gnocchi had an herb in it that we didn't like and it was a little spicy (hot). Unfortunately, the papardelle wasn't up to par.
Service and ambiance were fine. However, without the food reaching a satisfactory level, it's not enough.

Date of visit: February 2013
holly j, Manager at Scala's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2013

So sorry about your last experience with us. We are always working hard to make improvements and with honest comments like yours, it will help us get better. Come back soon and let us know how we did!

Holly Jackson
Restaurant Manager
Scala's Bistro

Reviewed 26 February 2013

I went with a group of guys that eat out a lot. One guy eats out all over the world. This is one of his favorites. The atmosphere is warm and inviting. It is busy and close. Food is beautiful in flavors and presentation. The service was smart but maybe a step slower than we wanted, but it was. A busy night. There was a small language barrier with the waitress that left us wanting a couple of times not for long but it didn't come off correctly. But she did answer a hard question that she didn't now by going and finding out the answer. There was no reason she should know what the answer was but she came back with the info. Cool iPad wine list. Bartender could have been friendly or could of a least smiled. None of either. Outstanding and amazing bar top. Good selection of drinks some very creative and fulfilling. I will be back when I can.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

My husband and I went to San Francisco for our honeymoon, and our very first dinner there, we went to Scala's, mostly because it was very close to our hotel and we were looking for something nearby. We loved it so much we returned on our final night In SF after visiting many, many restaurants. From what I understand, the menu changes often, but I had a ricotta ravioli in lemon cream sauce there and I will never forget it, SO GOOD!

As far as the price goes, it is somewhat expensive, but something I would dish out for a special occasion without a doubt.

Date of visit: March 2012