Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews homeless people tenderloin eggs or pancakes communal areas bunk beds central location neighborhood bart california
Selected filters
Reviewed 31 October 2018 via mobile

We booked a private room with ensuite. The room is comfortable.
NO tv, No coffee, food or drinks allowed in the room.
,Room faced the street so there was noise during the nightand early morning.
Breakfast starts at 7.30 am
Hot breakfast 8.30 am.
There is a great kitchen to cook and prepare your own food with fridges available for food storage.
The hostel is located in Tenderloin,
Please do your research on the area before booking.
We traveled via the Bart train from the airport ,which is easy,arriving in Union Square.
Highly recomend using Taxi/ Uber to Hostel or along Powell St to Geary St then 2 streets down at the corner to Ellis.
The area has social problems which can be very confronting.

1  Thank Philip S
Molly S, General Manager at San Francisco City Center Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2018

So glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us Philip! We try hard daily to ensure that all guests have a comfortable, clean, and super fun time while staying with us. Our breakfast is one of our best offerings, and a great deal too! And we try to focus a lot of energy on creating a welcoming and interesting space, as well as cool activities and tours, so guests have every opportunity of enjoying themselves, and hopefully make some new friends too!

Thanks for staying!

Reviewed 17 October 2018 via mobile

Not a shock but the location is in a rough area, our first walk was just awful and we uber'd from then on. The building is nice and our private double was very spacious (expensive though, not a 'hostel' price). I know this is a hostel but the wifi's inability to work consistently beyond the 2nd floor is downright fustrating. Lots of rules for staying here, enjoyed the breakfast and the happy hour bar, the staff were fine (the lady with her own unique style (sorry didnt catch name) was particularly pleasant). Id recommend staying here to some friends, but only the hipster ones (and not lone female travellers).

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Molly S, General Manager at San Francisco City Center Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2018

Thanks for staying Ashley! And for taking the time to leave us some feedback.

I'm sorry our hostel wasn't the right fit for you, though glad to hear you enjoyed our amenities over all. I'll look into the wifi issues you mentioned since we have been only hearing good things from guests these past few months, after we did a small upgrade to our bandwidth. Hopefully we can find a fix for future guests, though I'm sorry it was frustrating during your stay.

I know this neighborhood isn't for everyone, but as a non-hipster solo female traveler myself, I disagree with you that we're not at least accessible and welcoming to anyone who loves a cool, cozy, eclectic vibe, and is looking for a friendly safe spot to meet other travelers and to explore the heart of SF. I hope you'll come back to see us again down the line, as our diverse group of guests is ever changing and ever awesome, and you're a big part of that!

In the mean time, wishing you happy travels

Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

My husband and I got a private room. It was our second visit and the hostel met all we could wish for again. It’s amazing place with atmosphere, very clean, the staff is friendly and professional. And it’s right in the city centre!

1  Thank Lada K
Molly S, General Manager at San Francisco City Center Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2018

Thanks so much for staying, Lada, and for taking the time to leave us this great review! It's our guests that truly make this place special, so I do hope you'll come back to stay with us again soon!

Happy Travels!

Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

The trip from BART civic center to the hostel was one of the scariest walks of a lifetime. Homeless and drugs everywhere, we saw needle use on the street. A word to the wise...Uber to there. And from there.

Once inside, we enjoyed the place. The bar had $4 pints. The room was comfortable and clean. We had a private room and bath.

No AC so we slept with open windows. Since we were inside we found the sounds of the city entertaining, even if we were awoken by sirens or cussing. Downright scary if one was outside however.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank dennisw574

Thanks for staying Dennis! And for taking the time to let us know a little about your impressions.

I'm sorry the neighborhood was feeling so intense while you were here. We love our area, and know that the nonprofits that operate here are doing really good work for the most needy in SF. Still, it can be unsettling and even upsetting to see so many on the streets. Next time you stay, make sure to stop by our Front Desk to ask the staff for tips on the best routes for exploring the city, and the best (cheap!) food and bars to check out locally. There are some super amazing gems around our hostel that aren't to be missed and definitely wont break the bank!

Of course, our very reasonable priced bar is a great place to meet fellow travelers when you're staying with us, and that's the best way I know to feel right at home in a place and have new new friends to go exploring with!

Happy Travels Dennis,
~M

Reviewed 24 September 2018

Yes, the location is pretty bad if let it get to you. I walked the streets as a solo female just by myself and was completely fine and it takes you about five minutes to get to a better part of the city. Also there are at least five Vietnamese restaurants (which I love) and a convenience store to buy drinks around the corner. The hostel itself is cute, styled with an eye for detail and staff is doing their best to make you feel safe, checking everyones room pass on entrance. I stayed in a four bed room where we even had our own bathroom which was a very pleasant surprise considering it is a hostel. The room and bathroom were both clean and the beds comfortable, the lockers had a good size for our luggage. Breakfast is very basic, but they offered eggs and pancakes for just one dollar which I find very generous in a city as expensive as San Fran.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank oneworldatatime

Thanks Fiona!

You really get us, and that makes me so happy! Thanks for choosing us, I hope to see you back here with a big plate of pancakes and eggs sometime soon!

Happy Travels!