“Outstanding sushi”
Review of 1054 Togoshi

1054 Togoshi
Ranked #89 of 195 Restaurants in Kihei
Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

Terrific neighborhood place. Echo what everyone else has said about how great and fresh the sushi is. This is a don’t miss when you’re in the area.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

Sushi is the specialty at this husband and wife operation. They serve up very fresh, very hard to find selections. When I was there I had the octopus. Not the flash frozen variety that most sushi bars serve, but the fresh from Japan variety. The chef then prepared it and served. It was a little different texture which was just out of this world. I dont think a newbie would appreciate it but a sushi veteran would love!

Reviewed 12 May 2018

Had a wonderful dinner at this restaurant - very fresh and excellent presentation, reasonably priced and run solely by the owners (couple and wife). Definitely make reservations if you plan on going and eating there as we saw numerous people turned away (even though there seemed to be room in the restaurant for a few more) as I think they want to ensure great service to those that are there and have reservations. You currently have to make reservations the old fashioned way (phone, or find a way through FB to message them) but well worth it. Not great ambiance if you are looking for a view or other romantic Hawaiian experience but if you want a great sushi meal it's a great place to try!

Reviewed 15 March 2018

I come to the ocean to eat sea food, and always search for sushi along the way as well. This is a small establishment with a remarkable business model right in Kihei: They serve high quality take out sushi! (Make a reservation the day before if you want to eat in, though, or show up early)

We ate in the restaurant and it was fantastic. I would pick this over many other sushi places people seem to like here. This one is legit. The owner/chef came straight from Morimoto's down the road, and makes all the sushi himself, even the "insignificant" pieces such as an avocado roll for my 5 year old daughter (which was a beautiful roll as simple as it was). The whole place is just him and presumably his wife, and a helper in back. That's about as legit small-shop sushi as it gets.

We went in for the raw scallops and urchin here, which I usually steer clear of, and both were unbelievably good. I would take any staff recommendations (or omakasa if you prefer) and definitely go outside your comfort zone, if you have one of those. This would be a very good place to try something new.

The price was very good, unless you like all-you-can-eat sushi prices, in which case, you should probably wait til you get back home for that and save yourself the trouble. If you prefer cheap, you can always stand in line at 4:00 on Sunday or Monday to get 50% off at the popular Hawaii Japanese chain here (Which I actually did on the big island, where I didn't see any good sushi places). You won't get anything like what Togoshi is offering, but it will be cheap.

If this place is around next time I'm in Kihei, I'll make a take out order and bring it back to the condo for an amazing meal on an ocean view patio. That is one truly outstanding feature of this place, and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Reviewed 17 February 2018

While I'm not a sushi fanatic, I did see a photo of shoyu ramen on their Yelp page which is what sparked my interest here as I'm a ramen maniac! And, being that Maui has a weak ramen scene, I have to get my kicks where I can.

ATMOSPHERE:
They're located within the South Maui Center, a multi-building complex that also houses their neighbor, Fabiani's Bakery & Pizzeria. The all-indoor seating area is bright and clean with a beach theme. A small counter area seats about 10 souls along with four 4-toppers. Muffled pop music played overhead while the other diners ate silently. Luckily, we brought some life to the joint, LOL!

MENU:
Sake, Japanese shochu/whiskey/beer/wine, Japanese apps & seafood apps, lots of sushi, a sole ramen, miso soup.

BEVERAGE:
Sararito Shita Umesyu - $6.00
I've never had plum wine before and have been missing out! The wine is served on ice, a bit sweet but was balanced out nicely with a bit of saltiness if you will and wasn't strong in the alcohol department. Oddly, my two glasses differed in pour sizes with the second glass having considerably more.

FOOD:
Shoyu Ramen - $12.00
Other reviews on this dish weren't spectacular, but everyone has a different palate, so I had to try it for myself. Their version has a lot of potential but fell short in a few areas. First off, the portion was a bit small for the price. Secondly and worst of all, the delicate broth was lukewarm. Ugh! Why can't people understand that a hot broth combined with room temperature noodles makes for a lukewarm bowl?! There were positives though, such as the fresh-tasting bamboo shoots, the super tender chashu and the perfectly cooked noodles. Some might say the broth has no flavor but in this case it allowed for the eggy flavor of the noodles to stand out, IMO. I've had a similar light broth at Momofuku in Washington D.C. but theirs was worlds better as it was served piping hot.

Salmon Skin Salad - $12.00
My friend's dish. She enjoyed it for the most part but did state that there was an overload of onions.

SERVICE:
The place was dead so we were seated immediately. Our server was very friendly, professional and checked on us often. Thank you's and mannerisms were bountiful in that Japanese culture sort of way.

TIP:
A sign posted on the window stated they close every second Tuesday. Definitely call before heading in.

OVERALL:
Extensive sushi menu, great service, mediocre ramen due to temperature.

Been to 1054 Togoshi? Share your experiences!