“We now want to build our own tree house!!”
other travellers have booked this property
treehouse in forest of hapu'u and ohia
moongate entrance cedar hot tub
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
moongate entrance
cedar hot tub
treehouse from lava boulders below
ascent to treehouse
front door
lanai
dining al fresco
inside - jotul heating stove, ships ladder to trapdoor
indoor table top in window
kitchen
cooktop & sink
sidelight at front door
living room
looking out through speakeasy window
cedar hot tub
bedroom
treehouse in forest
outdoor shower
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
Donna F
Enterprise, Alabama
“We now want to build our own tree house!!”
Reviewed 29 October 2014 for a stay in October 2014
people found this review helpful

My husband was very pleased when I told him that I'd booked a tree house for our time on the Big Island (2 nights). I know I could have found cheaper lodging, but it was worth the location and the enjoyment that we had while exploring the area.

We arrived later than expected due to the weather that day. I contacted Rose and informed her that we were having difficulties due to weather. She stated that it was not a problem, to be safe and to get there when I could. She ensured that the lights were on upon our arrival so that we could see. Everything was exactly as it was described on the web and in our instructions from the owner. The little building by the road is very secure and had two backpacks and two headlights awaiting your arrival. I had my luggage packed for our trip to The Big Island and Maui, so I had everything in one large case. I suggest that you go ahead and pack your own back pack with your bare essentials and it will be easier on you. You won't need shampoo or soap, it's already at your shower. You don't need towels, they've got plenty for both showering and for your use at the hot tub. You can leave your dirty towels each day if you desire and they will ensure you have plenty of fresh ones.

Walking up to the tree house in the dark can be tricky, it is just a dirt path and the foliage is all draped over the path along the way. There are large rough cut stones which are used as steps, they look very natural and don't appear to be steps in the dark, but when you get to the end of the trail, just look to your RIGHT and look upward, you'll see the ladder up above and it's easily to access. Arriving in the day would make it easier though.

It is fairly steep, so if one has problems with climbing ladders, this may not be for you. Everything is also wet at some point in the rainforest, there's usually a little mist or slight rain daily, be careful not to slip!!

The tree house is exactly as described and portrayed in the photos. No surprises. There's sufficient room in the tree house for two people. It is designed for a couple and not a family. There are several sitting areas for eating. One outside and one inside in the kitchen. There's also an area upstairs off the bedroom, but it would be difficult to haul a meal up there, maybe a cup of coffee would be fine.

As for preparing meals, we had stopped at the grocery store and picked up some items from the deli, so we didn't COOK at all while we were at the tree house, we only used the microwave to heat things up. In one photo it appears that there's a double propane cook top, but there's not....they have one inductive cook top. I did use this to heat water to wash dishes and it heats up very quickly. You'll find that the hot water doesn't trigger well at the sink, but don't worry, the shower heats up quickly and it's GREAT!!!! Upon our arrival, we were treated with fresh fruits, banana bread and POG and a box of chocolates!! Yummy and THANK YOU GAIL!! We had sufficient food at the tree house for two days so we didn't eat out locally while we were there.

The potty......my husband's biggest fear!!!! Get rid of your fears, it's not a big deal!! You will feel like you're sitting on a throne! Literally! So, there's an actual STEP to access your potty. It's much taller than I expected, but that's okay. There was no bad odor. Basically, when you do #1 or #2, you cover it with 3/4 of a scoop of this dried stuff in a can which is located just beside the potty. Everything drops down pretty far, it's dark and you can't really see anything. It's not like a port-a-potty which sticky liquid to contend with. Get over it, it's fine!!! Someone comes by each day before 1100 and does whatever has to be done to the potty, they bring you fresh drinking water and reheat your hot tub for you! All the water used at the tree house is rain water which is captured in a huge tank on the property, so they bring drinking water for you to drink and brush your teeth with. Also, the potty is INDOORS, in the main living area.

The TV is for CD's and DVD's. They have a pretty large selection. There are the two red chairs that you see in photo's to sit in. They are comfy, but I wish there had been a loveseat instead so that we could have snuggled together while watching a movie. I understand that everything had be be brought up a ladder by one person, so I totally get it, Just don't expect to cuddle and watch a movie.

The shower is outside just off the main living area. You can see other roof tops from the shower area, but I don't think anyone can see you. There is a bamboo wall which surrounds you. It was a great experience showering outside in the cool morning rainforest! It felt GREAT!! LOVED THIS!!!

The hot tub was nice too.

The bedroom is up another ladder. Warning, if you're a larger person, you may have problems. The access is about a 2'x2' opening, NO bigger. I am a smaller person and when I climbed up the ladder my back rubbed up against the opening, just be forewarned!! The only negative I can possibly think of was that in the middle of the night I would have to open the hatch in the floor, climb down the ladder to go potty, climb back up the ladder and then close the hatch again. BUT, I totally understand having one potty and it is best down stairs rather than up! Go potty before you go to bed! :-)

Overall the tree house is fun and adventurous! Don't hesitate about the off-grid features...you really won't know the difference!

If it's cold there is a propane heater which is great! It was cold upon our arrival and it heated things up quickly and nicely! WARNING THOUGH, the directions tell you the switch is between the heater and the wall, it's NOT the red switch near the floor, there is a tiny black on black switch on the actual heater, it's hard to see so look for it! Once you know it's there, it's simple! If you turn the wrong switch you'll turn off the pilot light will have to call someone else to come reignite it! Oops, that's what I did, but Rose came over promptly and was very kind and very helpful. I can't say enough nice things about Rose.

The location truly is perfect if you're going to VNP, it's only 5 minutes away. It's basically 4 blocks off the main road, not far at all. It's actually near many other homes, but I don't know if these homes are other rental properties or not. We didn't SEE anyone else the entire two days, but occasionally we would hear a car drive by and could hear a dog in the distance. So don't be afraid that you're far away from society, you're really not. So, if you're still undecided, just do it, it will be great! We had a blast and recommend that you treat yourself to a once in a lifetime adventure!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The adventure of staying in a tree house
Liked least: Climbing downstairs to go potty during the night
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
22 Jan 2015
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, especially with so many details.
The red leather chairs - it seems we should point out that they can be rearranged into a love seat, with the ottoman large enough for both sets of feet. The towel container top can be turned over so it turns into a sofa side table, so each person also has a place for their drink to sit upon in a less spill able way.

Also, since your visit, a new mango slab counter top has gone in, making the kitchen area that much nicer.
MollieK12...
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Utter Enchantment”
Reviewed 14 October 2014 for a stay in October 2014
people found this review helpful

Treehouse. Bucket List. Fulfilled.

It was magical. The property, from the moon gate to the winding path, to the diverse and fragrant orchids in the Ohia trees, to the magnificent tree house itself... utterly enchanting.

Every detail was perfect. The tree house was an architectural phenom. Hand carved doors, custom stained glass windows, thoughtfully and outfitted kitchen were extra special. Of great fun is the bedroom, by which access up a narrow ladder is afforded a comfortable room with a cozy bed. Be sure to wake up early to catch the sunrise in the form of a pink band hovering atop the Ohia canopy. It is a sight that cannot be forgotten.

The outdoor space is just as lovely. An outdoor shower invites a unique experience of bathing in a rainforest, the rain-catch hot tub affords an amazing star gazing experience, and the several outdoor patios allow for dining and lounging amongst some of the most peaceful nature known on this earth.

I so thoroughly enjoyed my tree house stay. A special shout out to its hosts - Gail and Robert - for their graciousness and for providing a once in a lifetime experience.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
15 Oct 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your joy. Our vision of the treehouse is as a portal to the wonders of Volcano. You honor us as we attempt to honor the place. Mahalo nui.
adnyl18
Los Angeles, California
“Tropical Paradise”
Reviewed 21 September 2014 for a stay in September 2014
people found this review helpful

Loved staying here. When you walk from where you park, to the front door, you feel like you are really in the jungle. There are twists and turns and lush tropical foliage.
The treehouse is very charming. Perfect for a romantic getaway. Taking a shower outdoors is the best! A one of a kind experience.
I will say, we were very afraid of the composting toilet. I wasn't even sure if it would be inside the treehouse, but it was. However, once we started using it, it was fine! There was no smell, other than a slight pleasant smell, probably from the container of peat moss. It was not an issue at all!
There are two things I would suggest. The property is lush and tropical because of the amount of rain they get. Because of that, the treehouse has a slight musty smell. I would bring incense or an air wick.
Also, when they say a mile from "town" the "town" is three restaurants and a gas station. A cafe, an expensive American food place at the lodge and a Thai restaurant. Be prepared to either cook, drive thirty minutes to Hilo, or be content with the restaurants in "town".
I would say staying here is a must, when coming to the Big Island!

15 Oct 2014
Aloha and thanks for taking the time to meaningfully review and comment. There is some tropically scented air spray in the bathroom. Dampness cannot be avoided in the rainforest. As for Volcano Village, it is very small. There are also two places to eat inside the park, and a couple more lunch spots in the Village - both cafes. Cafe Ono is especially nice, with garden and indoor tables and a gallery to browse. Uncle George's inside Volcano House in the park has a comprehensive bar menu, and usually one special that is a full dinner, and live music on Friday evenings. Very good live music. Plus you can see the glow in the crater from there.
Gonzo G
Vancouver, Canada
“Amazing Visit”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 for a stay in December 2013
people found this review helpful

First trip to the Big Island and what better way to see the Volcanoes national park area than to come home to your very own treehouse! The property is immaculate and the staff and owners make everything as smooth and a fun as ever. The treehouse and mini hot tub, along with the outdoor shower made for a perfect treehouse experience.

Be advised that you may want to arrive during the daylight hours. Since we got in late - we're were provided packs and headlamps!

6 Jun 2014
Thanks for taking time to write the review. We encourage guests to arrive during daylight hours as the house is in the forest, and even with lights the forest is still mysterious in the night time.
ATL_guy_7
Atlanta
“Very Cool/Great Experience”
Reviewed 12 May 2014 for a stay in April 2014
person found this review helpful

We ABSOLUTELY loved staying here in the treehouse! It was beautiful, easy to get to, and so uncomplicated.. convenient to the volcano. Felt like a true rainforest experience, tucked away in the woods. Loved the Japanese hot tub, outdoor shower, waking up and opening the double doors in the bedroom. Rustic yet elegant at the same time.. one thing I would say, slightly negative.. is we wished it had been a LITTLE cleaner. I know it's out in the rainforest, but it wouldn't hurt to run a swiffer over the entire floor surface, even a little murphy's oil soap. You have to squeeze through a small hole to get up to the bedroom, you don't want to see a lot of dirt and dust on the floors. But I would still recommend anyone stay in this treehouse for the beautiful and amazing experience!

How easy was key pickup/access to the property?
21 May 2014
Aloha ~ Very happy you enjoyed the treehouse and not so happy you encountered any dust on the floor. We recently had a change in prople helping us out, and it sounds like our new person may have overlooked an important detail. Thanks for the heads up.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing