Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
JoyS35841
Marlborough Region, New Zealand

Perfect resort holiday

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 23 Jun 2019
Friendly, helpful staff, delicious food three times a day, superb snorkelling a few steps from the rustic and roomy villa - loved catching the sea breezes in the hammocks slung under each building. The Island hopping trip is a must, as is hiring a kayak to explore and snorkel more stunning coral a few bays away. This was the perfect relaxing holiday and the divers had a good time too!
Trip type: Travelled with friends
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
Responded 24 Jun 2019
Dear JoyS35841,

Thank you for your high rating and for choosing Sangat Island Dive Resort as you Coron destination! We are so happy that you enjoyed your experience on the island in particular the food, accommodation, snorkelling , and island hopping. It is great that the team took great care of you, we look forward to your next visit!

$412
  • Priceline
12.2 km from Sangat Island Dive Resort
14.1 km from Sangat Island Dive Resort
Free parking
Contact accommodation for availability.
14.1 km from Sangat Island Dive Resort
14.2 km from Sangat Island Dive Resort
View more hotels in Sangat Island
All reviews hot springs great diving eco tourism rainy season fresh fish meal times no air conditioning white sand beach minute boat ride mango rice coron bay beach bungalow rock bar chalet reef hammocks
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 June 2019

It was an easy choice to travel to Palawan this time around. I grew up in the Philippines but left for the USA when I was 21. Even though I grew up in Manila I had spent multiple summers in Iloilo, the birthplace of my parents. I had been to Boracay a couple of times in the past but have always wanted to experience Palawan so it was an easy choice this time around to pick Coron as a travel destination. Everyone raves about Coron and Lagen of course, but looking at the accommodations and facilities in Coron gave me a sense that I was going experience the fancy resort life with the added bonus of side excursions to the scenic Instagram spots. I was hoping to get that NATIVE experience this time and so I specifically looked or huts - huts on the beach, huts on the cliffs, huts out on stilts on the water. I found Sangat Island Dive Resort. Now, I don’t dive so diving was not on the top of my activity or priority list. Sangat is an island located just off the main island of Busuanga. It’s roughly a 30 minute bus ride to the boat dock and another 25 minute boat ride to Sangat Island. The islands in this area of Palawan are pretty much the same as the islands in Iloilo or more specifically, Gigantes, a chain of islands off Carles. The Sangat beach is a cove stretching about 3/4 of a mile. The mountain is a few yards off the beach and sheer. There’s a constant hum of cicadas, chirping and singing of birds an Macaques all over. So what’s so unique with Sangat Island Dive Resort? Huts! They have native nipa huts reminiscent of Polynesian design but with modern under pinnings. Each hut is situated about 10 feet from the shore so there’s the constant sound of waves washing up and crashing. The huts are screen-lined to protect from the outside fauna. Our hut included 2 queen sized bamboo beds covered with mosquito nets. This for me was a nice touch as it truly made the experience authentically native. The resort runs purely on solar energy. I understand that they have a back up generator to power up on rare occasions. The room has a ceiling fan but mostly for show as it did little to move air or cool you off. Luckily they had extra circular fans provided for each bed. I got creative an propped our fan on a night stand to match the level of the bed. The bathroom is modern and with running water, flushing toilet and a shower. The water is cold and the toilet tank takes forever to fill up. These add up my total score of VERY GOOD as opposed to an EXCELLENT rating for this resort. Each hut has a a set of hammocks located directly under the floor board. I used these to while away the time and enjoy the South Pacific breeze. The club house and main dining hall is spacious and boasts a library of books, pool table and a fully stocked bar. No karaoke on this island. Meals are served 3 times per days at 7:30, am high noon and 7:30 PM. The buffet typically will have soup, veggies, fish, salad, meat, fish or poultry but not always cooked Philippine style. The food can be excellent or just plain ok. We requested certain fish and Filipino dishes a la carte for no extra charge. How accommodating! The resort offers scuba diving as there are multiple WW2 era wrecks around the island and nearby islands, both American and Japanese, ships and airplanes. There is kayaking, paddle boarding, massages, boat trips and excursions - all by appointment and affordable. The snorkeling just off the beach is one of the best ones I’ve experienced anywhere as coral and sea life is quite abundant and dense. There is a coral garden just around the side of the island but you can only get there by kayak or boat. The island hopping is one for the senses. It’s easy to load up your Facebook and Instagram with remarkable sights that are unique and also breath taking. The resort offers a dizzying list of day excursions within the Palawan chain of islands. Take your pick. Esther is hands down the most accommodating employee and host on the resort even though she had only been working there for a couple of months. I want to give a shout out to Esther for making our stay comfortable, memorable and pleasant. She answered every query and concern we had. She helped arrange for our excursions, in-hut messages and even food requests. I think she would make for an excellent Guest Service Manager. I’m terrible at names so I’m just going to say that everyone was very accommodating, pleasant, cheery and attentive - especially the dining room, office staff and bar staff. Our excursion tour guide was Lumboy although his real name supposedly is John Michael. This kid is excellent! We tried out the entry level scuba diving course and Drew and Steffie were our instructors. Drew was very thorough and succinct with his instructions and we soon found ourselves breathing and swimming under water with the fishes. This was an added bonus to my trip as I got to spend it with my best friend from school. We spent a total of 4 nights and 5 days at Sangat Island Dive Resort and it will be forever in my memory. I hope to return and spend the time and experience with the rest of my family the next time I’m in Palawan.

Room tip: Ask specifically for rooms that have hot and cold water in the shower or request for a hut closest to the beach or on top of a hill.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Antonio J
sangatking, Guest Relations Manager at Sangat Island Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2019

Dear Antonio J,

Thank you for choosing to stay with Sangat Island Dive Resort and for detailing your experience! It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed almost every bit of your time on the Island. We take pride in our authentic nipa hut accommodation and it is great that you found exactly what you were looking for, the NATIVE experience, which is what we are all about!

Thank you for detailing all the types of activities we offer. It is wonderful that our team took great care of you and that you filled your days with kayaking, snorkelling, island hopping and many more. I will convey your comments to the team especially Esther and Lumboy who will be thrilled to learn your recognition.

Once again, thank you for your fantastic review. It makes us happy that we will forever be in your memory. We can't wait to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed 20 June 2019

Hello everybody !! Stayed in Sangat Island from April 6th-April 13th 2019. There are no words to express how grateful I am for such a warm vacation. Since it started, beautiful Esther gave me a wonderful welcome, she was so kind and friendly to me that it really made me feel like home, she really made my time at Sangat a lovely experience. All the resort staff were great, Myong, Vanessita, Maya, Hem, they were all really friendly and kind. Make sure they teach you some tagalo language jajajajajajaj. The resort is great and very comfortable. The cabins are really nice, made up with local wood, and very spacious, and the ocean, unbeliavable beach, water crystal clear and white white sand, it is thrully a paradise. Make sure to spend some time at the Rock Bar, you cannot miss it. Cocktails at night are the best. If you are a diver seeking for new emotions, this is the place. All the diving crue are well trained and take good care of you. Jojo, Will, and Luke and all the guys are really kind and patience. This was my firs time doing wreckdiving, it is an exciting experience that all diver must experiment. I really enjoyed it. And the coral is pretty much healthy, nice endemic life with little creatures really nice to see. Don't miss the mandarin fish at night dive and various kind of nudibranchs, and please.. don't miss diving in Barracuda Lake, it is a unique experience. Hope I will be back soon !!!! Looooooove Sangat Islaaaaaandd !!!!

Date of stay: April 2019
1  Thank OmarZapata

Dear OmarZapata,

There are no words to express how grateful WE are for your fantastic review.

It is wonderful to read that you loved your experience with us and that our friendly team had made you feel at home. I will let them know your recognition!

Thank you for your kind words about the accommodation, location, the Rock Bar and diving. Glad we hit the mark all around for you. We look forward to welcoming you back again!!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 17 June 2019 via mobile

This dive resort was JUST what our family needed! It was superb diving and all of the dive masters are incredible. JoJo ran a tight ship in regards to the dive shop and Sapphie, Luke and JoJo all led our family of four down into the depths of the wrecks twice a day. We all got our Nitrox certifications while we were at the resort and our other son completed his Advanced Diving Certification (the rest of us already had ours). We did a night dive and 10 other dives while we were at Sangat. We did the island hopping adventure to Twin Lakes and several other “Instagram spots” one day and went diving at Barracuda Lake on another day. Highly recommend doing BOTH of these activities in addition to the wreck dives! We learned SO much about the history on the wrecks from WWII and they were all incredibly close by so we had lots of time to just chill out and relax! Andy was at the resort our first night and went out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed. Getting to meet Andy (the owner of Sangat), and hear his story, was amazing. Learning more about their commitment to being an eco friendly resort was fascinating, especially for our son who is studying Mechanical Engineering in college in California. Sangat walks the walk and is not just talking about being eco friendly. Their staff (Esther was incredible!) is incredibly personable and accommodating. Esther even gave our son a bracelet and a beautiful stone to take home with him and they will be friends for life. We will definitely be back!

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank beverlymO3724FC
sangatking, Guest Relations Manager at Sangat Island Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2019

Dear beverlymO3724FC,

Thank you for taking time to write a fantastic review about your experience with Sangat island Dive Resort! It is wonderful that the team took great care of you and your family and that you completed your scuba certifications with us. Its great that you were able to explore the nearby shipwrecks and the island hopping as it truly is a must-see in Coron!

Moreover, I'd like to thank you for appreciating our efforts in protecting the environment. Andy shares his gratitude for your kind words and high rating. I'll be sure to share your comments to the rest of the team as well, especially Esther who will be pleased to learn your recognition.

Once again thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Tania Pownall

Reviewed 19 May 2019 via mobile

Just spent a wonderful 10 days at this resort with my hubby and eldest son. Where do I begin? First of all, EVERYONE is so sweet, kind and accommodating... you just want to give them all great big hugs, which I refrained from, until the day I left haha!
This place is true paradise. The chalets are spacious, clean and on a beautiful beach. It’s picture perfect! If you can, choose a beach front chalet as it’s just amazing waking up to the gorgeous view and hearing the sounds of the water.
Everything was just wonderful, from the super relaxing massages, swimming and snorkeling in the warm crystal blue waters, fun and amazing dives with the awesome dive masters, delicious food at breakfast, lunch and dinner (and snack times), monkey watching, to just chillin’ in the hammocks and at the bars!
You will absolutely love this resort!
I want to mention everyone’s names but I don’t want to leave anyone out because what makes a great resort is the people running it whether you know all their names or not. They ALL really made us feel welcomed and at home!
Thank you guys!!!
F, K and T

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank FUN4FKTJMM
sangatking, Guest Relations Manager at Sangat Island Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2019

Dear F, K and T,

Thank you for the best review, we love it!

Sounds like you had the ultimate Sangat Island experience, and I'm so glad that our staff got to treat you like our family. I'll be sure to pass on your wonderful words to our outstanding team.

Thank you for your kind words about the accommodation, location, diving, and food. Its amazing to hear that we hit the mark all around for you.

We can't wait to welcome you back again soon!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2019

I booked this resort through a travel assistant so really had no idea what to expect. I was amazed. This resort is very secluded and beautiful. You will be greeted by the beautiful Esther, she will make sure you have everything you need during your stay. The rooms are amazing and comfortable, but don't keep any food in there, you will share it with some really tiny but numerous ants!!! The views are out of this world. The restaurant staff is amazing, the food superb. I have food allergies and they were able to accommodate very nicely. The bar is well stocked. The dive shop and staff are top notch. JoJo runs a smooth operation, our dive master was Will, and he made sure we had a very personalized experience. We dove some really beautiful wrecks and reefs. The macro life is abundant. The wreck diving did not disappoint. Get your nitrox cert before you go. There are many excursions to choose from and they will arrange for your transport. The dive boats were spacious and comfortable. There are many monkeys on the island, please adhere to the policy of not feeding them, once one cabin starts they get a little pushy. They will get into your room if you don't keep the screen doors closed. I would definitely recommend this beautiful resort, it is well worth the extra boat ride from Coron.

Date of stay: April 2019
1  Thank Likestotravel0920

Dear Likestotravel0920,

Thank you for choosing Sangat Island Dive resort as your Coron Destination and for the fantastic review.

So thrilled to hear that you had a faultless stay, and that the staff took great care of you. From the front office to the enthusiastic restaurant staff and the dive team, we are all so happy that you enjoyed the Sangat island life! It is wonderful to learn your great satisfaction with our resort's overall service including the views, activities, rooms, our boats, bar and food.

Thanks for warning the TripAdvisor community about the monkeys that live on the island. They're definitely not afraid of confrontation!

We can't wait to welcome you back again soon!