“The very BEST cafe in Kerikeri!”

The Rusty Tractor Cafe & Trading Store
Ranked #1 of 11 Quick Bites in Kerikeri
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Rusty Tractor, where good friends meet for great coffee and fantastic fare, prepared and served by passionate people! Join us for a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, value for money and a great playground to entertain kids the entire day! Rusty Tractor . Open seven days a week, Breakfast & Lunch menus, great cabinet food & Supreme Coffee
Reviewed 11 September 2018

I have frequented this cafe twice a week every week. I work from home and sometimes I enjoy getting out and working in a different environment. Let me tell you, the food is GREAT, the service is GREAT and so is the WIFI! It couldn't be better. I've now made friends with the owners and some of the staff. I run a customer service business myself and these people have it figured out! The food is fresh, homemade and delicious! You can even buy some delicious, homemade jams and sauces that they make in house. Breakfast is DELICIOUS, lunch is DELICIOUS and so is dinner. Believe me, I've tried them all! And I don't want to leave out dessert. My favorites? MUD CAKE and APPLE PIE! YUM!!! :) Need I say more? TRY IT FOR YOURSELF! You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed 11 September 2018

Popped in for lunch today. Tried a bunch of stuff that I absolutely loved. My favorite had to be the sweet corn chicken chowder. Perfection! Can't say enough good things about the food I've had at The Rusty Tractor.

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

I love this cafe, for its service, location, plenty of parking, friendly staff, qick efficient service, best scone in town, roaring fire in winter, cool shadey tables outside in summer. Good for kids with ay are and for small groups with a private room. Food is delicious. My favourite!!

Reviewed 26 August 2018

Used to be a regular customer at the Rusty Tractor way back when under the previous management, have persisted in coming here out of habit more than anything else and the kids playground and pleasant outdoor seating areas made up for a lot of faults, but the kids are now just old enough that while they still enjoy the playground, the shocking approach to customer service doesn't cut it anymore even for the kids.

The cabinet food is ok, nothing to rave about, but ok. Menu food is the usual fare of artery clogging cafe breakfasts and fried food for lunch stuff mostly. So far, so good, a reasonable job is done with the food.

The service though. Where do we begin?

It would appear to be mission impossible to deliver a flat white from barista to table without slopping half of it into the saucer. Obviously not seen as a problem, as polite requests for a saucer that's not all sloppy with flat white (don't really appreciate having to deal with drips and drops from the underside of my cup), are met with stoney glares. getting three flat whites at the same time is pushing it.

For another, it would appear they can only handle microwaving one cabinet dish at a time, and it must take about 5 minutes each, as getting a family of four's plates on the table takes about 20 minutes of random deliveries by the staff. Apparently everybody eating their food together is another concept that is not so high on the importance list.

That is if you're lucky enough that everybody is happy with cabinet food. Our last visit, I'd estimate less than half the tables were occupied, mostly with couples, so no big families with big orders. Wanted three cabinet items and a soup of the day. Was told we could have the cabinet food now, but the soup would be an hour wait. "huh? excuse me? surely the soup of the day is already made?" "yes, but the kitchen is terribly busy" [looks around] "really? you're half empty, how long's the wait when all your tables are occupied? and surely it doesn't take an hour to ladle soup into a bowl?".

the soup is usually really good, but not an hours wait good.

to be fair to the staff, they were terribly polite in the face of my incredulous look, and probably less than polite comments and questions as to why it would take so long.

if you're after a nice garden and playground, and service isn't a priority. go for it. hopefully once they manage to get their service act together, and their kitchen capable of coping with 10 guests at a time. it should once again really be a pleasant place to go to.

Date of visit: July 2018
2  Thank mtn90
Reviewed 15 August 2018

I was invited to a friend's birthday lunch, and I checked out the menu online in advance. I was very disappointed to see that there aren't any healthy vegan options (I'm not into fried food). I contacted the Rusty Tractor via their Facebook page to ask what they could do.

Here is the response I got:
"Hmmm toughy we dont offer a huge range but we could do either the chicken, squid or lamb meals without meat and cheese...maybe some grilled tomato and hummus on toast? We do have great Almond and coconut milk so I could make you a really nice smoothie or hot Chai?"

So basically I could eat some lettuce, toast, or have a beverage. (I ended up just having a coffee.)

Not very impressed, surely it can't be that hard to have a vegan option on the menu?! (e.g. it's not difficult to make a quinoa salad or a vegetable soup...)
A shame, as the cafe has a nice ambience.

NB: I don't like leaving bad reviews but I was disappointed by the cafe's attitude. I have genuine food intolerances - I'm not just being difficult for the sake of it. I will instead dine at Kerikeri eateries that are more accommodating.

Date of visit: June 2018