“A night out to enjoy”

Sun, 11/04
20:00
Ranked #3 of 787 Restaurants in Norfolk
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Description: Featuring trattoria-style Italian fare, Varia serves as a combination lounge, piano bar and tasting room with a luxe atmosphere and unequaled wine selection. Located on the second floor of the new Hilton Norfolk The Main, Varia was designed with a luxe interior complete with an open kitchen, reclaimed chandeliers from the historic Cavalier Hotel in nearby Virginia Beach, and two hidden "speakeasy" inspired private dining rooms.
Reviewed 5 March 2021

Excellent food and I loved the live Frank Sinatra music. Not to mention the excellent service (Chris).

Date of visit: March 2021
Write a reviewReviews (449)

Reviewed 1 March 2021

My boyfriend and I came in to celebrate my birthday, and we were absolutely thrilled with our experience. While the restaurant has spectacular ambiance and superb food, our highest praise rested in that of the service. Benji was knowledgeable, friendly, and professional, to say the least. He assisted me in finding the best options for my gluten-free diet, made us laugh, and catered to our every need without us needing to ask. Our first visit here will certainly not be our last. I look forward to returning to Varia in the future, and will be sure to request Benji again.

Reviewed 21 February 2021 via mobile

I will start with a statement that my review is about the experience and not just the food.
I’m not a fan of writing negative reviews but if I call another restaurant to see if they are open so we can at least have a decent desert tha5 is an issue.
I made a reservation two days in advance and reconfirmed it a day before.
We arrived there few minutes prior to our reservation time, stood there for several miniutes until the hostes arrived only to tell us that they are overbooked and we need to wait 15 to 20 minutes. I’m okay with delay but the professional thing to do is call and advise the customer,same way I will call if I am delayed. We waited and 10 minutes later we were shown to our table. In addition, they were still taken bookings on Open Table for that time.
The server was nice and we put our order.
We started with a charcuterie board- it had two types of cheese and two types of meet blueberries and one strawberry. The server just put it on the side of the table and left, it was a shareable dish, peopled way is to put it in the middle. The table had a small bread plate with butter knife, a salad fork and main fork yet no plate was set for us to eat our starters, we used the bread plate as a dish plate. A bread and a plate of olive oil were brought to table, so why the butter knife? In addition One of the cheese was served with the plastic wrap on its rind. This treat was $25. Skip it.
Main course came yet our server didn’t clear our appetizer nor the used cutlery , he looked at me waited for me to move my plate!really? I ordered the bone in pork chop and after the server put it on the table he noticed there is no steak knife so he advised he will bring me one. He went, came back to pour us water but no knife, after few minutes he came back with the knife.
The main course was decent yet spicy , I liked it but it may not be for all.
We looked at the desert menu, this is an Italian restaurant yet the menu had Carrot Cake, creme brule, cheese cake and chocolate cake. Why not make some Italian dishes?
We took the check and moved to Todd Jurich’s to have a decent desert.
It might be a one night issue but there were too many of them.

Reviewed 6 February 2021

The atmosphere was amazing, but the service by Benji was off the charts!

His recommendation of the classic spaghetti and meatball made for the perfect dish to split for a perfect 2nd date.

Reviewed 30 January 2021

Noelle our waitress was very wonderful and knowledgeable. Food was amazing. Ambience was perfect. And service was timely and professional. Love it!

Date of visit: January 2021