All reviews evening meal stunning views pasta family run the bus other guests italian home cooking small hotel main course amalfi coast fresh vegetables pool bar minute walk restaurant balcony side dishes croissants no lift
Reviewed 28 September 2018

A word of warning, if your idea of a hotel is a a sterile modern travel tavern type of place this may not be for you. But if you like comfortable, traditional, classic hotels then you have hit gold.

We had been to the Amalfi area before and this time wanted to spend more time there. We didn't pay too much attention when booking this hotel as we just wanted somewhere to sleep. But we soon realised we had something a bit special as we rode up to the door. To start with the views are superb. Then we went inside, the decor is classical Italianate with great pictures and ornamentation. That said it is comfy. Our room was clean and nicely decorated with safe and refrigerator to put your own drinks in. It was June and very hot, the refrigerator was very welcome and was soon full after a trip to the nearest Spar shop.

As we where tired we decided to book evening meal and then we went to the pool. What a fantastic location the pool is in.

Evening meal was quintessential Italian, delicious and very satisfying. A litre carafe of rose' wine was reasonably priced and very good. Evening meal turned into an occasion as we dined on the balcony, the sun was going down and the moon was coming up. The view looks across to the picturesque village of Ravello. In the morning we had breakfast on the restaurant balcony and it was good also.

The Hotel is well placed for visiting Amalfi and its coast. You can walk there if you want to down a mountain track. Many tourists do but many also get the bus back, we had a Vespa.

The staff are helpful and made us feel at home and we soon began to realise that lots of Brits return here year after year. If I can I will join them,

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank catoliver
Reviewed 25 September 2018

The village of Scala is set high above the Amalfi coast and directly opposite to another mountain village, Ravello, on a hillside ridge. This makes for an absolutely stunning view from the hotel and we were fortunate enough to secure a room with a direct view of this. The view is, no doubt, what attracts people to the hotel and it was the case with us too. However, I am sorry to report that this is the peak of this hotel's plus points: it's mostly downhill from this point.

It was one of the most expensive mid-range accommodation we had in our two week holiday in many different places in Italy, but we most certainly did not get the feel of good value for that money.

Ignoring the view, the room was, frankly, tatty in places. This was especially the case for the bathroom, which had seen better days and needed not only re-painting in general, but also an overhaul of the shower cubicle. Instead of glass, the cubicle was made of a cheap plastic panes, some of which were coming loose and letting water out onto the floor. The Wi-Fi was a bit hit and miss, but this didn't affect me too much personally as I had 4G roaming on my mobile; it may however be an issue for others. The room had, however, a nice balcony with a small table and chair to sit on, although this also meant one was right up to the struggling old AC unit and its various wheezing and burbling!

The breakfast was somewhat disappointing except for the usually good Italian bread, but to be fair was edible. The bigger problem by far was eating dinner at the hotel. While the primi platti of homemade tomato pasta was quite edible, and while the chocolate cake given for desert was actually rather nice, the two main dishes we had were truly awful. A family member had rolls of some kind of "blue fish" which were tasteless and bland, and I had a thin sliver of veal which tasted of absolutely nothing, was cold and had next to no seasoning or herbs. Worse still, the translucent sauce of the veal dish was insipid and looked (and tasted) suspiciously identical to the sauce my family member's fish rolls came in! My advice if you do stay at the hotel, is to avoid eating dinner here.

There is a pool here, but since we didn't use it, I will refrain from comment. There was however parking, which is a plus. It's a very steep location, so if you do go walking, be prepared to go up some stiff slopes.

There was unfortunately a lot of missed potential in this hotel. I get the impression that it was once a vibrant and really quite nice establishment which has sadly not had the right level of investment into its maintenance and quality in recent years, and is thus slipping badly and relying too much on the stupendous vista from its windows. Had it been more moderately-priced, it would have had some allowance due to the perhaps difficult (albeit visually stunning) location, and I might have given it a generous three stars. However, as it was the same price as a far better luxury resort that we stayed at later in our holiday, I have to say that what we got out of this, the view aside, was fairly poor.

I don't derive any pleasure from giving a largely negative review for the hotel team who seemed like decent people, but they need to up their game or risk being left behind in modern times where online reviews can give potential customers the true picture of what is being given for their money. It can still be turned around, so I would appeal to them to make the necessary changes and make full use of the undoubted potential.

I won't say "don't stay here", but do so with the above caveats in mind.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of Ravello from its balcony
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank JadeyBee79
Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

This hotel is situated in a remote location very peaceful and quiet. The staff are warm and friendly. The room we stayed in was large and very clean with breath-taking views over Ravello. The only criticism we have is that we decided to eat in at the hotel and have the 3-course meal. What a disappointing experience. I have never been served a 3-course so fast, as soon as you finished one course the next course was served. The main course only came with carrots, no other vegetables and the food itself was tepid.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stef1905
Reviewed 22 September 2018

This was a lovely location opposite Ravello. The room was clean with a view over the disused pool bar terrace which was in need of a clean up. The pool bar was closed and appeared to be used as a dumping ground for bits of furniture. The breakfasts were continental, and evening meals although varied sadly did not contain any fresh produce other than we had iceberg lettuce once as a side dish. It appeared to be tinned veg when it did appear. I welcome the opportunity to try different cuisines but some of the meals we had were challenging (unpalatable). We could order drinks with our meal but were expected to vacate the terrace before 10.00 pm each night, and with no bar that left the guests with the option of returning to their rooms or walking out in the dark. The meals felt rushed, it appeared we were required to get it over with as quickly as possible. On the plus side there was a fridge in the room so we could buy soft drinks/wine and food locally and consume that in our room at our leisure.
The local churches sound their bells during the night, dogs bark and cockerels crow so if your a light sleeper take ear plugs.
The shower was over the toilet, so we had to remove the toilet paper each time we showered and then had wet feet each time we used the facilities after showering.
I would definitely return to the area, the views were stunning, but I would not stay at this hotel again.
The best tip I could give is take a good insect repellent as we all got bitten quite a lot.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ken C
Reviewed 17 September 2018

If you want a genuine Italian experience in a small family owned hotel with fabulous home cooked food and amazing views this is the place!
It may not suit everyone as it might be too quiet but for those wanting a peaceful & relaxing holiday it is perfect. Away from the hubbub of Amalfi & and boutique prices of Ravello but near to frequent bus routes & walks it is hard to beat.
My only complaint is that people can smoke on the restaurant balcony.
Go on - book it now.

Room Tip: Room 321 is the best
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple