“Small dining room but very pleasant ”

Hotel-Restaurant Kranenturm
Ranked #9 of 29 Restaurants in Bacharach
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Regional, vegetarian- and seasonal specialities with Rhine river view
Reviewed 1 July 2015 via mobile

From soup to salad to our entree --- all was very good. Our group of 24 was served quickly and pleasantly. The portions were large and everyone had positive comments.

Reviewed 17 June 2015

We stayed one night in the town of Bacharach and chose to dine here based on reviews and location. I had seen the hotel on Rick Steves Europe which added to my interest. It was a beautiful night so we chose to sit outside which was a lovely setting with a distant view of the Rhine and a close up view of trains whizzing by, I didn't see it as a disturbance but more of an added attraction. My family tried different things, a fresh trout, pork schnitzel, shrimp scampi and an Arabian steak, most came with a fresh salad and potato. While it was not the best meal we had in Germany it was very good and the ambiance added to the fun night. After dinner we hiked up the hill above town to the castle above Bacharach a great way to end the evening.

Reviewed 21 May 2015 via mobile

Recommended in Rick Steve's book. 3 of us ordered lamb with red wine sauce, but came with a mustard sauce.? (However it was quite tasty).

Over all, meals were good. Server should've let us test/taste the wine.

One of our menus had a handwritten revised price, but our other menus didn't.

Credit card machine wasn't working that evening, so maybe they should've told us (party of 6) we need to pay in cash.

Reviewed 21 March 2015

First off Fatima was amazing and knew that we would be arriving late from a train trip to an area castle ruin - she had everything prepared for us for a meal when we got back - amazing! Talk about outstanding hospitality and customer service. And the food was delicious! One of the best that we had in our 2 week travels in Germany and France! Not to be missed!

Reviewed 1 November 2014

At the beginning of my most recent trip abroad I landed in Frankfurt on 8 October and from the airport took a train to Bacharach, where I'd stay for two nights. I did not stay at the Hotel Kranenturm, but I chose VERY well in making the restaurant my first stop for a meal.

I was jet-lagged, needed a meal before sleeping and arrived at the restaurant unfashionably early - in fact I was the first customer, but that worked to my advantage as I had a chance to chat with my charming hostess Fatima and with my excellent waitress, whose name I'm sad to say I've forgotten. I suppose it's a tad too obvious to choose a quintessential German dish for one's first meal there (on this trip, I'd been to Germany before, in fact was stationed there in 1967-68). But the sauerbraten at this restaurant had been highly recommended in more than one guidebook.

Right they were, and right happy was I with the choice! I'll let an attached photo do some of the explaining, but this was heaven on a plate - the meat was tender, the sauce absolutely incredible, and the cabbage and potatoes were perfect accompaniments.

When I was young I used to drink German wine, but haven't in years. Of course the Rhine is wine central, and Bacharach prides itself on its wines, even over the rest in the area. I can't argue. I let my hostess choose the wine, and she offered a delicious local red that washed down the food wondrous fair. I'm ashamed to say I don't remember the name, but I think it comes from a local vintner named Jost.

In addition to very friendly and attentive service and from my above paragraph obviously GREAT food, the restaurant is charmingly set in the old town walls - if the evening had been a bit warmer and less damp I could have sat outside on their porch that overlooks the city park and beyond that, the River Rhine. As it was I had a lovely spot in a lovely dining room, and could see the river from my seat.

I understand there are other fine restaurants in Bacharach, but I could not have done better than the Restaurant Kranenturm! I urge anyone who finds her or himself in that area to run, not walk to this excellent restaurant.

a quick ps - they were also offering local fresh fish, which I really hungered for as well - I chose the sauerbraten for perhaps tacky-tourist reasons, but Fatima had a joke on me about it - as she wisely noted "The fish is German too!" And of course she was correct - still I was more than content with my choice!

2  Thank Jack H