“Better options in Lynchburg in my opinion”
Review of Country Cooking

Country Cooking
Ranked #140 of 340 Restaurants in Lynchburg
Reviewed 3 May 2018

Not a big fan of this place. Some people love it. Maybe they have never had GOOD southern style cookin. Instant mashed potatoes, canned green beans with no seasoning is not my thing. Ran a kitchen for a few years and it is very obvious a lot of the food is not homemade. Better bet if your looking for buffet homestyle cookin, just go to Golden Choral or Hibatchi Grill on Wards Rd in Lynchburg.

Reviewed 25 May 2017

Ex place for lunch. The staff is always pleasant and you always run into friends. Construction was going on at the time so parking was limited.

Reviewed 20 September 2016

On any Saturday morning you can visit Lynchburg's Community Market. It is a farmer's market with vegetables and fruit and baked goods and handcrafts...there's even a cheese shop and local meat! But the longest line is leading into Irene's.

I am not a big fan of waiting - but I would stand in that line as long as needed to sink my teeth into one of Irene's biscuits. Yes, it is open the rest of the week - and I have enjoyed the occasional lunch of chicken and green beans. But Saturday is when I wait patiently to enjoy the best sausage and cheese biscuit on the planet. My salmon cake eating sister thinks that my choice of sausage is silly...but we agree that there are no biscuits like Irene's. How she gets them so tender without being crumbly - soft but substantial...well, it must be some sort of sorcery.

But save room for cobbler or rice pudding. I always hated rice pudding - but this is magical. It's not TOO sweet, not too dry...as Goldilocks would say, "It's just right."

If the biscuits and desserts are this good - everything is. Just be sure that you stay alert, once you are inside the door and the lady behind the counter makes eye contact, you order. Don't hold up the line! I'm back there praying that I didn't sleep too late and miss the biscuits.

Reviewed 25 August 2016

I enjoyed their burger patty with gravy and onions. The mac and cheese was the perfect combination of noodles and cheese

Reviewed 25 January 2015

On Saturdays many of our citizens meet at the Community Market for a good breakfast at Irene's. Great eggs, grits, and ham. Please be advised that there may be a line.

Been to Country Cooking? Share your experiences!