“Ok place, not my style, but I would go back”
Review of The Water Dog

The Water Dog
Ranked #24 of 347 Restaurants in Lynchburg
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Description: OUR FOOD IS FOCUSED ON WHAT TASTES GREAT WITH BEER AND FRIENDS – THINK: RAW OYSTERS, HOUSE-MADE FRIES, GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES, SHARABLE APPS AND FRESH BAKED COOKIES – ALL MADE IN-HOUSE. What we’re trying to do – we think – is pretty simple: bring together great craft brews and tasty artisan beer food with an awesome riverside environment and some pretty rad people. If you know what craft beer is, you probably like it. If you don’t, we still have a seat for you at our 2,000 sq. foot beer garden. Our 36 draft brews are sourced to be as local as possible. Fill up one of our growlers or grab a mix-n-match sixer and start L-I-V-I-N. We know what you’re thinking … you’re already in love – but there’s still more to love (whaaa?). Indoor and outdoor TVs for the VT vs. UVA game, a large 150” screen projector showing the Barca v. Real Madrid match. Bring the kids and let them play in the splash park just outside our front door while you grab a brew and high-five your BFF!
Reviewed 3 May 2018

This is a neat little place, that does offer outdoor seating which is great for people with pets, kids, bikers, hikers. It has a splash pad right beside them, and the kids love it! I would go back just because it is a convenient location. Not my style, but it's still a pretty cool little place to try out.. Plus there is an icecream place beside it as well.

Dave H, Owner at The Water Dog, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Thanks for the review ... and I do hope we see you again. We are a bit different of a place than most other places but I hope you'll find that what gives us our "charm"!

From a VT fan :O)

Dave

Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

My fiancé and I went with a group of friends and were treated unfairly because we were and interracial couple and lesbians. We were made to wait after our waitress helped other people who sat down beside us after we had been there for 15 mins the people we came with were served in a timely manor we however were not , the waitress was unfriendly and made us feel very uncomfortable and just disrespected. We got up and left the establishment before we got anything. We had heard good things and wanted to enjoy a night with friends but we will not be back after this.

Dave H, Owner at The Water Dog, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Hi, Bailey,

I'm truly sorry to hear about this. Please know that your experience is in no way how I intend for my business to be managed. I will be speaking with our managers and staff as well as reviewing our seating processes so that this experience - whether intentional or incidental - never happens again. You and your friends are ALWAYS welcome. I'd like you to give us another shot so please email me directly at dave@thewaterdog.com as I'd like to help make that happen.

On behalf of The Water Dog and our staff, sincerest apologies,

Dave

Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

We were in town for an event and found the food here was excellent. We ate here several times over a few days. Good value as well!

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

My husband LOVED this place! Great food, great beer and a great basketball game on TV.

He had the fried oysters taco with the house made salt and vinegar chips. I had the seared ahi tuna tacos with house fries.

The tacos were delicious. Three big tacos per dish. The seasoned fries were hot and flavorful.

Washed it all down with a Sweetwater Pale Ale and he had a hoppy IPA.

A perfect meal and perfect night.

Reviewed 21 February 2018

I just got back from an early dinner at The Water Dog and I am pleased to report that the oysters are spectacular! Also, Chesapeake Bay oysters are only $1 all day Sunday and Monday and during happy Hour from 6 to 9 pm on Tuesday through Friday. They have a fantastic selection of other varieties for $15 to $19 per half dozen. The waiter, who was very knowledgeable and attentive, allowed me to sample a Daisy Bay oyster from Rustico Harbor, PEI, Canada (normally $19 for six), which was smaller, more delicate and perhaps with a slightly more refined taste, but I was happy just to stuff my face with the Chesapeake Bay oysters for $1 each.

I also tried a cup of the shrimp and crab bisque ($3), which I highly recommend everyone try because it was delicious! The oysters are accompanied with your choice of:

• bacon bits and minced Jalapeño peppers
• crabmeat and scallions
• champagne, shallots and sea salt

and they also offer these options for accoutrements:

• gin & tonic: gin, tonic, cucumber, lemon
• mignonette: vinegar, shallot, pepper, lemon
• spicy: sriracha, ginger, lime
• naked: lemon on side

but my favorite combination was crabmeat and scallions with the spicy sriracha, ginger and lime. I thought the mignonette was a little too vinegary. They also have Texas Pete Hot Sauce available for traditionalists. I washed everything down with a dirty Grey Goose martini ($8), which was prepared expertly to my personal specifications: hold the vermouth near the martini while mixing then add a capful of olive juice and two or three olives on a spear. They also have 36 beers on tap.

The total was $25.72 including taxes and I left a nice tip after all of the personal attention I got from my waiter and the manager Brandon.

1  Thank Lee N
Dave H, Owner at The Water Dog, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2018

Lee! Thank you for the nice - and very thorough - review! I appreciate the kind words and if you ever have any other feedback, please don't hesitate to let me know. Have a great day!

Dave Henderson