“VERY Authentic Szechuan Hot Pot”

Uncle Liu's Hot Pot
Ranked #98 of 406 Restaurants in Falls Church
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

We went to Chengdu in 2002 and 2012 and were thrilled when we found Uncle Liu's. When we walked in we were transported back to China. Simple ingredients, fresh vegetables, and some very unique choices with an authentic Szechuan spicy broth or a mild broth for the less adventurous. We will keep going back.

Reviewed 6 April 2017

The different ingredients were very fresh and most didn’t not take too long to cook due to their vegetable nature or the thinness of their slices. The usual order of cooking the ingredients starts with the mildest tasting ones, proceeding to bolder tasting elements like meat. So, we started with Flounder which was quite spongy from a thick coating of corn starch, followed by shelled shrimp (I prefer with shell) which was quite sweet. Following that was tofu which was silky smooth, and some Spinach leaves that were nice and turgid before wilting in the soup. We ordered a plate of tomato pieces since the group was fond of it being cooked by the mild soup. It was followed by the Enoki mushrooms with its mild and delicate taste, and some Snowpea shoots which imparted a mild yet discernible vegetal quality. I introduced the lean pork earlier since I sensed some impatience on the part of the novices with the meat tasting mild for pork yet quite tasty. The various sauces (Hoisin, oyster, sesame, bean) added the flavor to the naked flavors, and a special mixture of Hoisin, oyster, and green onions made by the owner was the highlight, but I still missed the Malaysian version made with crushed chilies, vinegar, sugar, salt and sesame seeds. The noodles are usually cooked last so as to sop up all the richness of the stock after cooking the various ingredients. This time we cooked them in the mild stock as my friend and I were getting bludgeoned by the searing dried chilies and numbing Szechuan peppercorns in the fiery stock.

Reviewed 14 March 2017

Nice, clean, bright buffet and hotpot reataurant, friendly service, cheap and generous buffet, reasonable-priced hotpot. Friendly service, good variety. Highly recommended,

Reviewed 10 February 2017 via mobile

This was a truly fascinating restaurant with a very authentic menu and food selection. The beef and green onion was exceptional. The pot stickers being served looked superb.

Reviewed 8 January 2017

I visit this restaurant fairly often because it's close to my home, with very good food, quick service, and open late (10 pm) in the evenings, which means it's a good after-meetings place. I agree with other reviewers that the hot pot is the best choice, but it takes a bit longer. The authentically spiced Szechuan / Chengdu dishes are my usual choice, and they don't disappoint. Warning: when they say really hot, they mean it!